Widevine DRM

theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like OnePlus is going to fix the Widevine DRM issue that prevents HD Netflix on the 5 and the 5T, but you will have to send your phone back to a factory! I can understand why and I can also understand why ZTE would not do this now. I just hope it gets taken care of on the Axon 9.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/02/24/oneplus-fixing-5-5t-play-netflix-hd-physically-send-phone-get/

Comments

• theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder how many people will actually send their phone's in to have them upgraded? I know I would not. I could not be without my phone for so long. I guess if I had a spare phone to use I would though. It's not like it would be hard to put my sim card in another phone.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great that they are fixing it, but if ZTE offered the same this at this point, I'd doubt I would take advantage. Just my thoughts anyway. Does OnePlus pay for the shipping too, or is that out of my pocket? Just hope the A9 gets it right from the start.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would have done it, when the Axon7 launched. But now, with the Axon9 around the corner, it's not worth it.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:
    Great that they are fixing it, but if ZTE offered the same this at this point, I'd doubt I would take advantage. Just my thoughts anyway. Does OnePlus pay for the shipping too, or is that out of my pocket? Just hope the A9 gets it right from the start.

@hollap OnePlus is paying for the shipping both ways. But I agree that it would be far more problematic for ZTE because they make so many other phones and products.

At least there is no cost, but I still don't think I'd find it worth it. If I owned the 5T I would think about it as i would continue to use that, but if i had a 3T I doubt I would, as it's older and I would probably be in the lookout for a new device. Thanks for the info @jimlloyd40 !

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 801 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

On a screen the size of the Axon 7's, I don't see much, if any, difference in the higher resolution. It's not a big screen TV after all.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 25, 2018 11:01PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I saw that also but maybe that explains why ZTE hasn't got the Widevine L1 certified. I agree that would be a major hassle for them to get all of our phones back to update. But big props to OnePlus for doing this.

Does anyone know why the OP's need to be upgraded at the factory? This isn't a hardware change, is it? Do they need to install a new bootloader to satisfy some encryption requirement? Or worse, make it non-rootable just to get the content providers to agree to allow HD content? If so, I'd say no thanks.

Don't quote me on this, but if I'm not mistaken it's a security key or cert that is loaded at the hardware level. So an OTA software update will not work. I don't claim to be an expert but that's how I understand it.

• theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ryampolsky said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I saw that also but maybe that explains why ZTE hasn't got the Widevine L1 certified. I agree that would be a major hassle for them to get all of our phones back to update. But big props to OnePlus for doing this.

Does anyone know why the OP's need to be upgraded at the factory? This isn't a hardware change, is it? Do they need to install a new bootloader to satisfy some encryption requirement? Or worse, make it non-rootable just to get the content providers to agree to allow HD content? If so, I'd say no thanks.

If you read the article it will tell you why.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,167 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@theshrike said:
    I wonder how many people will actually send their phone's in to have them upgraded? I know I would not. I could not be without my phone for so long. I guess if I had a spare phone to use I would though. It's not like it would be hard to put my sim card in another phone.

My thoughts exactly. I would send in my phone provided I had a spare. Sending my phone away for 2 weeks to go from 480p to 1080p is worth it to me.

• ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername IsraelPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@theshrike said:

@ryampolsky said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I reread the article and it says "security processes" that are copyrighted that must be as applied via an authenticated PC. As I was trying to say previously Google doesn't want the copyright process exposed OTA.

I know this is far fetched, but the thing I miss the most about apple was the apple store, I love ZTE, Android and my Axon 7, but whenever I had an issue with an apple product, going to an apple store and getting the repair done there was a piece of cake. If ZTE had stores in the US, we could have it patched without going through the trouble of shipping it overseas.

I do realize this will not happen, at least for a long time until ZTE gets more mainstream in the states.

• ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername IsraelPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@Thatonebadusername said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@theshrike said:

@ryampolsky said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I reread the article and it says "security processes" that are copyrighted that must be as applied via an authenticated PC. As I was trying to say previously Google doesn't want the copyright process exposed OTA.

I know this is far fetched, but the thing I miss the most about apple was the apple store, I love ZTE, Android and my Axon 7, but whenever I had an issue with an apple product, going to an apple store and getting the repair done there was a piece of cake. If ZTE had stores in the US, we could have it patched without going through the trouble of shipping it overseas.

I do realize this will not happen, at least for a long time until ZTE gets more mainstream in the states.

@Thatonebadusername it will never happen especially on the scale that Apple has the stores. Apple sells over 80 million iPhones a year. They can afford it. Even Samsung which sells phones in the quantities that Apple does only has some stores inside of the BestBuy stores and I don't believe they repair phones.

As I said, far fetched. But it was wishful thinking for a perfect world.

• emsguyemsguy VirginiaPosts: 35 ✭✭✭✭

I just don't see how something like this gets overlooked before release. Every 1080p and up resolution phone I have ever purchased, has always had full HD support. That is until the purchase of my Axon 7. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. To those that say you can not see a difference in SD vs full HD, I find that hard to believe. If that was the case, then why even have phones that have HD screens, that just drain batteries quicker? I wouldn't hold my breath on ZTE fixing this on the Axon 7, as we have been asking for several months with no reply of how they will fix the issue.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@emsguy said:
    I just don't see how something like this gets overlooked before release. Every 1080p and up resolution phone I have ever purchased, has always had full HD support. That is until the purchase of my Axon 7. To say I was disappointed is an understatement. To those that say you can not see a difference in SD vs full HD, I find that hard to believe. If that was the case, then why even have phones that have HD screens, that just drain batteries quicker? I wouldn't hold my breath on ZTE fixing this on the Axon 7, as we have been asking for several months with no reply of how they will fix the issue.

It won't be fixed on the A7 until possibly the Oreo update due in April. And a big part of the upgraded screen resolution is nothing more than competition. Sony has a phone with a 4K screen. Overkill on a small screen not to mention the fact that 4K content is slim and you also have to have fast enough speeds to play 4K content.

It won't be fixed at all unless ZTE has you send the device in like OnePlus is doing. It's not resolvable by an OTA update. It needs to be done on the hardware level. Since that requires sending the device in, my guess is that we are out of luck getting widevine on the A7.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@emsguy said:

It won't be fixed on the A7 until possibly the Oreo update due in April. And a big part of the upgraded screen resolution is nothing more than competition. Sony has a phone with a 4K screen. Overkill on a small screen not to mention the fact that 4K content is slim and you also have to have fast enough speeds to play 4K content.

It won't be fixed at all unless ZTE has you send the device in like OnePlus is doing. It's not resolvable by an OTA update. It needs to be done on the hardware level. Since that requires sending the device in, my guess is that we are out of luck getting widevine on the A7.

It's not hardware. The phones just need to be updated via a certified PC is what the article stated. They don't open up the phone and do anything with hardware. Widevine is very closely guarded copyrighted material from Google.

I said it needs to be updated at the hardware level, meaning an OTA won't work. You need a physical connection, as you mentioned, a PC.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 26, 2018 4:37PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    It's not hardware. The phones just need to be updated via a certified PC is what the article stated. They don't open up the phone and do anything with hardware. Widevine is very closely guarded copyrighted material from Google.

Yeah, but what exactly is it that's being updated? It sounds like (as somebody noted) it's a security key - presumably in the bootloader - or some other storage that's not accessible in any straightforward way. My question remains - once you have this enabled, do they need to keep you from rooting your device in order to keep it secret? I assume Pixel's have full HD support - and are rootable. But again, if that's the case, just how 'secret' is this update?'

Well, this quote from the article's comments section seems to lay it out...
    "The Widevine keybox must be encrypted with a device-unique secret key that is not visible to software or probing methods outside of the TrustZone. The Widevine key-box must be installed in the factory or delivered to the device using an approved secure delivery mechanism."

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe it could work OTA if they manually send the update to your IMEI. So each update is monitored.