Remove Custom ROM - Axon ZTE A2017U

Comments

• EyePeaSeaEyePeaSea London, EnglandPosts: 39 ✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 Hey, thanks for remembering. Yes, I managed to get to the text messages and that gave me the names/numbers of other people to contact, so that was really helpful.

Well, the stock ROM is back. I've tried using the Axon Toolkit (from the link above) but it wouldn't connect to the phone (it just rebooted normally). I tried the options to fix, including running miFlash but I'm too tired to work out how to get it to work :-( I'll try again tomorrow.

Huge thanks to everyone here who has helped.

Night.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats and good luck tomorrow @EyePeaSea !

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United States Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@EyePeaSea said:
    @DrakenFX Good evening :-) Great. Installing now. I'll give you an update just to confirm that it's all ok. Again - thanks for your time and effort. Funnily enough, I found those ROMs already on the SDCard (or maybe older versions) - but they were from you as I could see your name when I tried installing them as well - so, you've also helped my dad out before and for that, more thanks and kudos to you.

Ian

i'm glad you got it back on track with stock ZTE software, and glad i help your Dad in the past ( without knowing of course) on his Android Mods time :smile: .

If you are going to lock bootloader, don't install or have anything on your internal storage, locking back the bootloader will erase you internal storage.

last but not least, If need any more help, you know where to find us :smiley:

@jimlloyd40 Sorry, I'm not sure what his username was.

I'm still battling with locking the bootloader. It's not helped because the Axon Toolkit (from @akwid044) is flagged up as Malware. I think I'll have to create a stock Win7 VM, no AV, no other software, then install the Toolkit (and the adroid SDK I think, for ADB) and try from there. This is really frustrating as I'm actually loving the Axon. But hey! If everything was easy, we wouldn't get that sense of satisfaction when we finally get things to work! :smiley:

@jimlloyd40 Kind of you to say so, but with the help I've had from you guys in this forum, even my mum could have got it back to the stock ROM (sorry mum, no disrespect) :-)

We all know that there are some plus points to Apple - they just work. And we know the minus points - you have to use your phone in exactly the way that Apple want you to. I've accepted that for years, but now I'm looking at Android again, I'm liking what I see and the Axon is much nicer than my Apple 6S+. But I'm a little frustrated with myself for not getting this last bit working (locking the boot loader). However, with lots of helpful people on places like this, I'm sure I'll get there :-)

edited February 27, 2018 4:44PM

@EyePeaSea
    I'm 90% sure trying that tool or any tool won't work on a VM environment,

What you can do is, if you have enough space on your drive , create a small partition (20 up to 24gb) just for Win 7 or Secondary Win10 installation for these type of purpose.

• Create partition and format as NTFS
    • create USB windows 10 or 7 (depending on your drivers availability. (I use Lili USB Creator)
    • reboot and select your Win10/7 bootable drive.
    • do advance and install on your new NTFS partition.
    • both windows will be install side by side

I know Axon7ToolKit from @benkores is saw your use , even though windows will detected as malware, but that's cuz the way the tool need to perform to get things done for the Axon 7.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/development/tool-axon7toolkit-t3573108

@DrakenFX Thanks for the suggestion. I actually have a spare vanilla Win7 on a laptop and that works fine with the Toolkit (no AV problems).

Lots of thing work (I can get an ADB shell to my phone). But other things don't - "fastboot oem lock" just hangs with 'waiting for any device' - even though 'adb devices' shows that it is connected to the phone.

I think my phone is missing the Fastboot part (I may have misunderstood this completely). Basically, it won't boot into Fastboot and so when the Toolkit reboots into 'fastboot' - it actually just reboots the phone. If I go to the boot menu

To be honest, I'm not sure what the 'fastboot' is on the phone - but it seems to be missing.

Several posts talk about MiFlash - but that seems to want a file/ROM. I tried clicking 'select' in the App and pointing it at an unzipped version of the Bootstack ROM, but it doesn't actually do anything.

Anyway, I'll still keep trying :-)

I'm wondering if I need to re-install TWRP again, and try again from scratch.

I'm sure I'm missing Fastboot (if I've understood correctly). I put the phone into recovery mode and I can use ADB to sideload stuff - well, I try, and the phone screen shows the sideloaded file but doesn't install it. But ADB is definitely connecting. I even tried 'install from SD card' from the phone recovery menu. That again seemed to load the ROM (I tried loading your Bootstack from the SD card. It could see the file, but wouldn't install it).

Then there's something that I read about - EDL. But not sure how to get that command into the phone.

I little hole, in the back of the phone, which when pressed with a pin, would do a really-really-really-back-to-basic config, would be very nice. :-)

Ah. B35 doesn't include Fastboot. So, I'll try going back to B19 with Fastboot and then maybe I'll be able to use ADB/Fastboot to 'oem lock'. Worth a try :-)

After downloading the B19 ROM onto the SDCard, then rebooted the phone, Volume Down, selected recovery. From there, selected the option to update from SD Card. Found the B19 ROM, it verified it for a few minutes and then said 'verification failed' - signature issue? Damn :-( Another blind alley. :-(

Got the official B19 ROM, repeated the process (from my last post) and that worked. Definitely running B19 now. I'll try the "fastboot own lock" when I'm home to see if that works now. Fingers crossed. I'm still not convinced I've actually got Fastboot reinstalled but let's hope I'm getting closer.

Thanks for sticking with me 😀

*fastboot oem lock

@EyePeaSea
    If you rolled back to B19 using the tool, you're good to go.

On the Phone
    * Enable Developer Options
    * Check OEM Unlock

PC
    * adb devices (just to make sure if phone is detected)
    * adb reboot bootloader
    * fastboot oem lock (this command will wipe the phone storage / data.
    * once done your device will reboot

Now when is full booted head over **Software update and several updates will be waiting for you.

Hi @DrakenFX - Thanks for sticking with me. I'll buy you a coffee when we either fix it, or I give up!
    Ok, I'm attaching a few pictures that go with the steps above.

Step 1 and 2
    Here - showing the B19 ROM installed, I've got Developer Options enabled and 'OEM Unlocking' is showing as already unlocked, but the option is Greyed out.

Whilst connected, I set the phone 'connect to PC' mode to: Media device MTP. I've tried every combination but this seems to be the one that gets me furthest.

Step 3
    On the PC, type 'adb devices'

Then on the phone, authorise this connection

Run 'adb devices' again

Step 4

On the PC, type 'adb reboot bootloader'

Interestingly, this boot menu says I should visit: http://g.co/ABHg.co/placeholder - but that link isn't a valid Google URL Short code.

At this point, the phone reboots. Here's a YouTube link (not sure if I can upload it to the forum as it's quite large)

And here is a screen shot from that video, showing the bootload screen

At this point, the phone boots into the normal Android - ready for me to enter the PIN. I'm not sure if 'adb reboot bootloader' should actually go into some other menu/interface?

But anyway, I then type 'fastboot oem lock'

And this command then hangs with:
    'Waiting for any device'

It's as if I haven't got a driver for the phone, but I can send commands (such as 'adb reboot bootloader')

It feels as if I'm still missing something. I can force it into the text menu (where it waits 5 seconds before booting), but if I press a key, I get another menu (sorry, not picture at the moment) and that has the option to 'fastboot' - but if I do that, the phone just starts up as normal.

I've already taken up a huge amount of your time/bandwidth - if nothing is obvious from this message / these pictures, then I'll just admit defeat. If you're a crypto person, I can send you money for a coffee in LTC or NLG, or PayPal :-)

Ok, I've now read the Internet. And by that, I mean the entire internet. Every single article :-) I think my fundamental problem is that I can't connect via ADB over the USB cable, unless Android is running fully.

When I'm in the bootload menu (that times out after 5 seconds) or the 'Options Menu' or the 'Recovery Menu', then I can't get an ADB connection.

When I boot into FTM (up + down volume + power), then I get half a connection with ADB:

Text from the screen >>

List of devices attached
    ? device

So, at no time, apart from when Android is running fully, can I push any replacement ROMs.

So - maybe the phone is broken at an even lower level?

@EyePeaSea said:

When I boot into FTM (up + down volume + power), then I get half a connection with ADB:

Text from the screen >>

List of devices attached
    ? device

When you enter to FTM mode it will show
    ? Device , and adb should work. (By the way just press and hold Vol. Down and power, no need for vol. Up)

from there just type adb reboot bootloader

On your phone fastboot/bootloader mode should appear, (assuming you are on B19 from the Axon7ToolKit and can you take a picture while on bootloader mode and posted here ). once on bootloader mode, type fastboot oem lock

• welshpwelshp UKPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys, I have picked up the job of trying to get the Axon 7 working from my colleague @EyePeaSea as I was doing some LineageOS installs on a couple of older devices I had so thought i'd have a look at the ZTE while I was there. The LineageOS on Motorola G & Nexus 9 worked flawlessly however the ZTE has been somewhat challenging in comparison.

I spent a fair bit of time over the weekend trying 'lots' of different things but failed to get fastboot working and thus unable to reinstall TWRP. I am running a Windows 10 device - axon7tools & MiFlash all seem to be somewhat troublesome on this OS. Long story short:

1. Device is now running stock B29 (Android 6) (did this as believed fastboot was removed from 7.x onwards)
      This was done via bootloader / install from SDCard
    2. Stock recovery
    3. Stock bootloader (bootloader unlocked)

I foolishly assumed B29 would give me full fastboot functionality but this is clearly not the case as I have found out this morning while trying fastboot oem lock & fastboot flash recovery twrp.img

The ultimate aim is to re-lock the bootloader (Google Pay) and receive OTA updates so effectively back to stock.

@DrakenFX have seen your name on lots of the posts over the weekend so seems your a bit of a jedi :smile: any help from where I am now would be extremely grateful.

Thanks in advance,

Note: I have axon7toolkit 1.2.1 installed and working successfully with the phone bar the fact that the fastboot version doesn't allow much functionality

haha seems I finally cracked it - Most things that didn't work over the weekend appear to be OK this morning.

Finally got MiFlash 20170425 recognising the device by using the native windows driver Quectel QDLoader 9008 driver in computer management instead of using the Qualcomm drivers (maybe a Windows 10 gotcha)

Managed to flash A2017U_FASTBOOT_UNLOCK_EDL succesfully deployed. Checked bootloader, now locked.

Will now check OTA updates but hopefully it's good to go.

Sorry for the running commentary but may also help Windows 10 users along the way :)

Thanks so much @DrakenFX and @welshp for all the time and effort that they put it. Thanks also @jimlloyd40 for his ongoing encouragement. I'm pretty sure my dad has been looking down and having a quiet chuckle at his son who's worked in IT for about 100 years.

Thanks again.

Ian

Hi @jimlloyd40, haha loving the soap opera analogy, pretty much describes my weekend :smiley: Not one to give up (although thought about it many times) but as I was struggling to make progress, thought it would be useful to at least capture it somewhere to save others their sanity.

For reference, I managed to find a B29 stock here: (not that it fixed the issue) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7LkaEY99WZLMUduaVptclVFc2s/view

Yes OTA downloads were available. B15 was up next but work WiFi was poor so started downloading then gave up but definitely available. Based on yesterday's shenanigans, I would expect B19, B32 to follow.

Checked Google Pay and that worked a treat so all good.

Cheers,

@jimlloyd40 Hi Jim. Yes, it took 2 or 3 OTAs but I'm now on B35. The first OTA was huge, but downloaded very quickly via the Apple Store free WiFi - I love irony. :smiley: The first 7.x.x.x OTA was truly awful for me - Voice and Cell data both dropping in and out - that may have been something to do with my Cell provider or just 7.0 being a bit flakey, but it all settled down with B35.

I'm now getting a chance to look at the latest Android - and unsurprisingly, it's come on a long way since my last Android phone (3.x) :smile: Most of all, loving the Axon - it's a really nice phone.

I'll definitely lurk on the forums - lots of helpful people and interesting info :smile:

Have a good day

Ian

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@EyePeaSea said:
    @jimlloyd40 Hi Jim. Yes, it took 2 or 3 OTAs but I'm now on B35. The first OTA was huge, but downloaded very quickly via the Apple Store free WiFi - I love irony. :smiley: The first 7.x.x.x OTA was truly awful for me - Voice and Cell data both dropping in and out - that may have been something to do with my Cell provider or just 7.0 being a bit flakey, but it all settled down with B35.

I'm now getting a chance to look at the latest Android - and unsurprisingly, it's come on a long way since my last Android phone (3.x) :smile: Most of all, loving the Axon - it's a really nice phone.

I'll definitely lurk on the forums - lots of helpful people and interesting info :smile:

Have a good day

Ian

Don't forget that Oreo is coming too...so the latest Android is not far away :)