Oreo Update Speculation

2»

Comments

• z28camaromanz28camaroman United StatesPosts: 57 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, time to put a nail in this coffin. It's March and I have neither an official update or even access to the beta, which also goes for most users. Baring the obvious disappointment, I'm just left baffled how OnePlus was able to do an Oreo beta for the 3 and 3T in November of last year with a smaller company and allow more users to join without the pretense of it being some exclusive club for Spanish speaking developers, yet ZTE could not. I imagine project Treble will help with updates with the Axon 9, but suffice to say, we the users have been toyed with.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@z28camaroman said:
    Well, time to put a nail in this coffin. It's March and I have neither an official update or even access to the beta, which also goes for most users. Baring the obvious disappointment, I'm just left baffled how OnePlus was able to do an Oreo beta for the 3 and 3T in November of last year with a smaller company and allow more users to join without the pretense of it being some exclusive club for Spanish speaking developers, yet ZTE could not. I imagine project Treble will help with updates with the Axon 9, but suffice to say, we the users have been toyed with.

Technically Oneplus has the backing of Oppo and Vivo, which sells many more devices than ZTE does. Also, ZTE has way more devices than Oneplus has. When you can focus on a handful of device like OnePlus and Apple, it makes it easier to keep those devices updated. And that's Kudos to those companies for running that way. Third the revenue ZTE makes from it's mobile division is only a fraction of the Enterprise. R&D is spread across multiple divisions in ZTE, just because they are a large company doesn't mean they focus on Mobile.

I'm not trying to make excuses for anyone here. I agree at minimum security updates need to be timely moving forward. But the fact that ZTE is updating it's flagship device that's already 1 1/2 years old with a major release of software to me shows they are trying to do the right things, now they need to fine tune. If they aren't updating quick enough for you, or not running betas the way you want, then that's the beauty of having choices. OnePlus is waiting for you.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of disagree here. We hare lucky to even get Oreo for this device.

I agree with you, they are slow for updating their phones, but they have many phone on the market, also other things. OnePlus, has only the OnePlus on the market.

Communication could be better, because no one know for sure how the beta work. But it's a lucky draw, nothing more. I don't know how is important customer service elsewhere in the world, but in NA it's very important. But in the end, they owe us nothing.

I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun with you OnePlus. I just hope they don't steal too much of your information :smiley:

edited March 1, 2018 12:31PM

@westside80 said:
    They have many phones on the market but how many are receiving updates? Very few. It would be different if they were working on updating many of their other phones but they aren't. I do agree that the Axon 7 is lucky to get Oreo. I never thought it would happen. SOL on security though.

The Blade V8, A7 Mini, A7, Blade Z Max, Axon M, and ZMax Pro have all been updated in the last few months. Plus if I'm not mistaken a few others as well. And even if you aren't updating, your resources are also being used to output new devices, such as Blade V9, Blade X Max, the Android Go device, and a whole slew of low level carrier MVNO devices.

So while I agree, they need to be quicker with updates, especially security, they certainly have done their share of development across all of their platforms.

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:
    They have many phones on the market but how many are receiving updates? Very few. It would be different if they were working on updating many of their other phones but they aren't. I do agree that the Axon 7 is lucky to get Oreo. I never thought it would happen. SOL on security though.

The Blade V8, A7 Mini, A7, Blade Z Max, Axon M, and Z-Max have all been updated in the last few months. Plus if I'm not mistaken a few others as well. And even if you aren't updating, your resources are also being used to output new devices, such as Blade V9, Blade Z Max, the Android Go device, and a whole slew of low level carrier MVNO devices.

So while I agree, they need to be quicker with updates, especially security, they certainly have done their share of development across all of their platforms.

Imagine how much better and faster it would be if they had fewer phones but kept them completely up to date. Essential and Google were the only two Android phones to score well when it comes to security patch updates according to an article I read yesterday. Samsung was way down the list and I didn't even see ZTE on there unless I just can't remember. Going 6 months between updates isn't cool and never will be.

I can't say I disagree, but if Samsung can't even do it...

The point is ZTE isn't looking to make just one or two devices like some others. If that's what a user wants, you have pointed out where they can go. They just need to get better at the security and bugs and I would be satisfied. To date, they haven't shown enough of that.

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:

The Blade V8, A7 Mini, A7, Blade Z Max, Axon M, and Z-Max have all been updated in the last few months. Plus if I'm not mistaken a few others as well. And even if you aren't updating, your resources are also being used to output new devices, such as Blade V9, Blade Z Max, the Android Go device, and a whole slew of low level carrier MVNO devices.

Imagine how much better and faster it would be if they had fewer phones but kept them completely up to date. Essential and Google were the only two Android phones to score well when it comes to security patch updates according to an article I read yesterday. Samsung was way down the list and I didn't even see ZTE on there unless I just can't remember. Going 6 months between updates isn't cool and never will be.

I can't say I disagree, but if Samsung can't even do it...

The point is ZTE isn't looking to make just one or two devices like some others. If that's what a user wants, you have pointed out where they can go. They just need to get better at the security and bugs and I would be satisfied. To date, they haven't shown enough of that.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2018 12:44PM

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:

Comparing anything to Samsung makes no sense. Last year Samsung released approx. 27 phone models or variants. If Google releases dev previews well before release and a handful of upaid maintainers on LineageOS can keep up-to-date with an OS if they have the proprietary blobs, it makes no sense for a company to need a lot of lag time.

This should give everyone a good idea:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/zte-phones

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:
    This should give everyone a good idea:

https://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/zte-phones

@hollap according to that article ZTE still manufactures the Nubia phones. I thought that they were separate or different companies now.

Not completely. ZTE still owns share in Nubia. Just not the controlling interest is how i understand it.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Probably the internal part of a Nubia and a ZTE phone are the same...

But different look for different market. The Z17s looks great.