Textra Notifications

ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ever since I upgraded my A7 to B35 Textra stops showing notifications on about half of my text messages. The phone will make the notification sound but half of the time the visual symbol will not show in my notification bar nor on my lock screen. If I open the Textra app I will see a notification next to the person's name who sent the text. I am using the Android theme. I have tried the usual clearing the caches and all that stuff. Are other Textra users noticing this since B35? Or is this just another issue with my bipolar A7? I did a search for Textra user forums on the internet but I am not finding anything.

Comments

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had to switch from Android Messages to Textra for the same exact problem, lol. So far Textra had been working great since about 3 days after the B35 update.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:
    I had to switch from Android Messages to Textra for the same exact problem, lol. So far Textra had been working great since about 3 days after the B35 update.

Ok thanks. I'd say the issue happens about 50% of the time for me. Your post seems to make me think it's an issue with B35 and not Textra. Curious to see if others report the issue too. I will say that I have been using Textra for years now and I have never had an issue with it until B35.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Don't have that issue with my A7 on B35 while using Nova Prime as my launcher.

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 116 ✭✭✭✭✭

My textra is working perfectly, the b35 update did not affect it at all.
    I use Nova Launcher prime and all my notifications work perfectly.
    Maybe B35 broke the mifavor launcher?

Try uninstalling and reinstalling Textra, if that doesn't work, switch over the best launcher ever made, Nova Launcher.

• kmb877kmb877 Posts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have installed Textra (Pro version) way before B35, I believe even before B19, worked great before and after the latest update. I'm using the Apex launcher.
    Please note: if you'll uninstall/ reinstall Textra, you'll loose all messages stored in your phone.

Thanks all for the replies. I am just going to blame this issue on my bipolar A7. I have had more strange issues with this phone than any other phone I have ever owned. I'll just deal with the issue.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 775 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This thread is another perfect example of why I have been very hesitant to customize this phone very much.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,931 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Textra is working perfectly fine along with Nova launcher. I've never had an issue with Textra on any of my devices.

@stevec5375 said:
    This thread is another perfect example of why I have been very hesitant to customize this phone very much.

I would think the opposite: people seem to experience problems when they don't customize and use the stock Mifavor instead.

In the op's case its probable that a rogue app that didn't react well to an Android update is causing his problems, especially if he didn't do a factory reset after and Android update or he did a reset but then an automatic restore.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 226 ✭✭✭✭✭

While we're at it, I haven't been getting notifications from Yahoo mail recently. It took a while for me to notice it, but it may well have been happening since the B35 upgrade. Anybody else?

@ryampolsky said:
    While we're at it, I haven't been getting notifications from Yahoo mail recently. It took a while for me to notice it, but it may well have been happening since the B35 upgrade. Anybody else?

I don't use Yahoo mail, but my gmail and Outlook notifications seem to be working fine. The only app I have notification issues with is Skype, and I have those issues on ZTE and non-ZTE phones so I'm assuming the app.

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

I would think the opposite: people seem to experience problems when they don't customize and use the stock Mifavor instead.

In the op's case its probable that a rogue app that didn't react well to an Android update is causing his problems, especially if he didn't do a factory reset after and Android update or he did a reset but then an automatic restore.

Well I shouldn't have to do a factory reset of my phone every time there is an update. And no I did not do a reset at all. Like I said I shouldn't have to. The only thing that changed on my phone at all was the update to B35. If I need to do a factory reset every time there is an update then I might as well switch to Apple. Things with my brother's iphone just work. I can't believe that I would ever think about going to Apple. That used to be taboo in my house.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

Well I shouldn't have to do a factory reset of my phone every time there is an update. And no I did not do a reset at all. Like I said I shouldn't have to. The only thing that changed on my phone at all was the update to B35. If I need to do a factory reset every time there is an update then I might as well switch to Apple. Things with my brother's iphone just work. I can't believe that I would ever think about going to Apple. That used to be taboo in my house.

The iPhone has had its share of problems with the software also and you're also talking about spending over twice as much as the A7 cost. I hate doing factory resets also but sometimes it's necessary.

@jimlloyd40, how would you feel if every time you had a software problem on your Windows machine somebody told you to reformat the hard drive (or SSD) and reinstall Windows and all your apps?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

The iPhone has had its share of problems with the software also and you're also talking about spending over twice as much as the A7 cost. I hate doing factory resets also but sometimes it's necessary.

Both of my brothers and 3 of my friends have iphones. None of them have issues with their phones. I can't believe I am even defending iphones because I don't like them. But I am sick and tired of having issues every other day with my A7. And I am not doing a factory reset every time an update is released. Each update seems to break some more things with this phone. It's as if nothing is tested and it's released on us to be the beta testers. I'm just saying that I am starting to look at the darkside. And my next phone just might be an iphone. I don't mind paying more for a phone that I don't have to search for a fix for every other day.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 226 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

@ryampolsky said:

I don't use Yahoo mail, but my gmail and Outlook notifications seem to be working fine. The only app I have notification issues with is Skype, and I have those issues on ZTE and non-ZTE phones so I'm assuming the app.

Never mind. Somehow the 'Auto Start' power management option had been disabled. I don't remember doing that, but it works now.

@ryampolsky said:

@hollap said:

@ryampolsky said:

Never mind. Somehow the 'Auto Start' power management option had been disabled. I don't remember doing that, but it works now.

At least you figured it out @ryampolsky

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@marcwool1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

Both of my brothers and 3 of my friends have iphones. None of them have issues with their phones. I can't believe I am even defending iphones because I don't like them. But I am sick and tired of having issues every other day with my A7. And I am not doing a factory reset every time an update is released. Each update seems to break some more things with this phone. It's as if nothing is tested and it's released on us to be the beta testers. I'm just saying that I am starting to look at the darkside. And my next phone just might be an iphone. I don't mind paying more for a phone that I don't have to search for a fix for every other day.

You can thank the fragmentation of Android for a lot of the problems. Apple controls every aspect of the iOS code base as well as the hardware. It makes it a lot easier to test. Android (Google) on the other hand is "tweaked" by every vendor that produces a phone.

Not sure how many different Android phones you've owned and gone to their forums, but a factory reset and setting up your phone as a new device, is officially recommended after every major Android update, by every manufacturer. (think going from "N" to "O", not security updates or going from 7.0 to 7.1)

If your phone is malfunctioning badly, the very first step all customer support/trouble-shooting will insist that you do is a factory reset and setting up the phone as a new device, to eliminate the chance that it is a software problem and therefore determine if it is a hardware problem and warranty issue.

Most updates, especially minor ones, you don't need to reset, you just need to clear the cache partition and clear cache in storage, but to upgrade Android from Marshmallow to Nougat, or Nougat to Oreo, you will need to reset and set up as new device.

To have a phone work flawlessly, factory resetting maybe twice during the life of the phone, seems worth it to me.

I think back to when I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Very comparable when going from say MArshmallow to Nougat. It was painful. I'd much rather FDR my android device than go through that again. Yes Apple has a great system for updates and controls, however as Jim mentioned, that's also one of it's downfalls. Not as customizable as Android.

SO there is good and bad with all options. You have a multitude of choices. Apple. Google Pixels and Essential. OnePlus. Then Samsung and others. All do things a bit different but it sure is great to have a choice.

edited March 9, 2018 4:47PM

@hollap said:
    I think back to when I updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Very comparable when going from say MArshmallow to Nougat. It was painful. I'd much rather FDR my android device than go through that again. Yes Apple has a great system for updates and controls, however as Jim mentioned, that's also one of it's downfalls. Not as customizable as Android.

SO there is good and bad with all options. You have a multitude of choices. Apple. Google Pixels and Essential. OnePlus. Then Samsung and others. All do things a bit different but it sure is great to have a choice.

I have always owned Android phones. I have had many of them. This is my first ZTE phone and that might be where my problem lies. My other phones were HTC and they just worked. Even after a major upgrade there wasn't any sacrificing chickens and standing on my head to make it work. With ZTE it's nothing but new issues with every update of Android. Even minor updates ZTE seems to break something else. Maybe my problem lies with not needing a iphone but rather not buying another ZTE phone. I shouldn't have to do a FDR with updates.
    I just received an update last night from Textra. Release notes says that it fixes bugs as well as new notification settings. Hopefully this will take care of my issue. I still blame ZTE though since Textra has been perfect for years until B35 came out.

go to a Samsung forum, go to the Lenovo/Motorola forum. Every manufacturer recommends wiping a phone and setting it up as a new device, after every major Android update, especially if the phone is having problems or the apps on the phone are.
    There's page after page of updates creating more bugs and problems all over Lenovo's various Motorola forums.
    This is not unique to ZTE. That you didn't have to do this with HTC phones was probably sheer luck, Even Google's phone forums have tons of pages of bugs with their phones.

I have always used Textra, from my Motorola phones right through to my Axon 7 and it has always worked perfectly for me. I have had no problems with it on my Axon 7 but I factory reset when going from Android M, to N, and I will again when the update to Android O comes out.

If the public is willing to put up with constantly having to factory reset their phones then it will continue to be business as usual.

@stevec5375 said:
    If the public is willing to put up with constantly having to factory reset their phones then it will continue to be business as usual.

Exactly! And I for one won't put up with it. That's why I might be switching over to the dark side of Apple. Even though I don't want to. Or maybe just go back to HTC. One of the two.

@stevec5375 said:

If people want their phone to work properly, they have to follow the correct procedure when updating.

(Factory resetting 3 times, over 3 major updates, is not "constantly".)