Zmax Pro - Process System problem - Can I reinstall Android files?

terrimareeterrimaree United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭

I would like to reinstall Android if I can. During/after an update my phone was low on memory. It rebooted itself while in use some days later. I ended up deleting some apps and some app folders (or so I thought). I might have deleted too much, and gotten something from the Android system, or the update did not install right??

I started out with the ZTE being from Metro PCS but the phone has been unlocked and been using it with Cricket for about a year. I'm not sure if updates come through as Metro PCS still. I'm assuming so. I have the Metro PCS apps that will not remove, and manually installed the Cricket apps that I wanted.

Now I have 7 GB free storage on the internal memory, but every reboot says:

“Process system isn’t responding. Do you want to close it?” 

Whether I select “Wait” or “OK’ I can use the phone, but I can only use one app at a time and have to use back button to back out of everything I have done. If I open something that has a link, it can’t even figure out how to open in in Chrome browser which is still installed.

My quick settings changes do not work. I can only swipe down once and see four settings and Display brightness. Settings Gear will not open settings from here. I have to go to All Apps button and find Settings to open it.

I would like to reinstall Android system, but don't know how... I need a zipped file or something? I am afraid a hard reset wiping all my other things will still not work right because of possibly some missing files (if I deleted something I shouldn't have) because of the current behavior.

Android version 6.0.1
Android security patch level August 1, 2017
Baseband version Z981B01
Kernel version 3.10.84-perf-gcdba782-00725-g9a1b90dztd-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Build number Z981V1.0.0B21
Hardware Version u88A

I would love it if I could just get a legitmate Android system file to reinstall, or at least the last update file might help fix the problem. I test software as my job, and we reinstall things over the top all the top. This really seems like messed up/missing files to me, but I'm not sure what kind of files would be available to try to reinstall. I'm hoping something. I am really fearful a full reset will not fix this and will just lose my data.

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, unlike desktop OS where you can reinstall everything from scratch, mobile OS typically just do a reset and it will return the phone to the stock setting. Mobile OS has its system files hidden in a separate partition that typically is not user accessible so you should still have those files protected.

In your situation, I would say, back up everything and just do a reset and afterwards, just start with minimal apps that you need and then you can decide what other apps you would like to install.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@terrimaree based on the date for the security patch I "think" that your Zmax Pro is up to date. I agree with @samsamha a factory reset is necessary.

• terrimareeterrimaree United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭

Oh yes, it should be up to date, but I don't trust the install actually installed properly.

For a reset, that is a lot of likely impossible work to do a backup since I cannot connect it to a PC with the process system not working. I cannot even select "Connect to PC" to try to do anything with USB settings and the phone won't show up in the computer's file system.

I don't trust moving that much to the SD card because of all the problems I have trying to copy or move just small amounts of files and file sizes. I've even had to reboot with File Manager not responding.

I don't really trust the Android system to do a correct hard reset. I just want to reinstall the update if I can.

In System, About,
    there is a "Storage card updates" that says under it "copy update package to storage card for system updates". Selecting that says:
    "Please copy update package to root directory on storage card, then click OK button."

That is what I would really like to try first since backing up my files is not a simple option.
    This makes it sound like there should be something like an update.zip or FileName.update that I should be able to put on the SD card.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@terrimaree said:
    Oh yes, it should be up to date, but I don't trust the install actually installed properly.

For a reset, that is a lot of likely impossible work to do a backup since I cannot connect it to a PC with the process system not working. I cannot even select "Connect to PC" to try to do anything with USB settings and the phone won't show up in the computer's file system.

I don't trust moving that much to the SD card because of all the problems I have trying to copy or move just small amounts of files and file sizes. I've even had to reboot with File Manager not responding.

I don't really trust the Android system to do a correct hard reset. I just want to reinstall the update if I can.

In System, About,
    there is a "Storage card updates" that says under it "copy update package to storage card for system updates". Selecting that says:
    "Please copy update package to root directory on storage card, then click OK button."

That is what I would really like to try first since backing up my files is not a simple option.
    This makes it sound like there should be something like an update.zip or FileName.update that I should be able to put on the SD card.

@terrimaree you can check the support section on the ZTE website to see if it's there.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@terrimaree , you are correct that you can use the update to update via microSD. However, I do not believe there is a flashable file for your particular device as it is done via over the air. Factory reset is probably your best option