How To Get The App Drawer Icon Back

ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know this is going to sound like a dumb question to some of you. But my friend let his niece play with his A7 the other day. Somehow she deleted the app drawer icon that is supposed to be at the bottom of the home page. My friend can't figure out how to get it back. I tried for about an hour and I can not figure it out either. His A7 is on the latest version of Nougat. How can I get his app drawer icon back for him? It's not on his other pages either.

Comments

  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Try this:

    Go to settings->default apps->launcher

    It's probaly set to MiFavor. Switch it to Stock Android.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Yea I tried that too. It's already on Stock Android. Thanks though. This one really has me puzzled.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @ram1220 said:
    Yea I tried that too. It's already on Stock Android. Thanks though. This one really has me puzzled. The only suggestions I am finding outside of this forum say to do a factory restore. But there has to be another way.

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @ram1220 said:
    I know this is going to sound like a dumb question to some of you. But my friend let his niece play with his A7 the other day. Somehow she deleted the app drawer icon that is supposed to be at the bottom of the home page. My friend can't figure out how to get it back. I tried for about an hour and I can not figure it out either. His A7 is on the latest version of Nougat. How can I get his app drawer icon back for him? It's not on his other pages either.

    Well unless you are making a mistake as to which launcher you are using, it sounds like the system has been modified and if so, then the only way to fix it is to reset the phone.
    You may be able to try installing a 3rd party launcher from the play store (assuming you can get to the play store),
    and MAYBE that will give you access to all apps, but don't know for sure, and if it's not showing on "Stock Android" from factory ROM, I don't see any way to magically get it back.

    Simply put though, the Mifavor launcher has no app drawer. All the apps are displayed on home page and subsequent pages. The Stock Android launcher has the app drawer, but the the app drawer icon should always be on the home page and can NOT be removed. So again if it's not there with the Stock Android launcher, then something has been altered in the system, or it's just fubar and needs reset.

    Another thing you could try is going into setting -> apps -> Stock Android -> Storage, and try clearing the cache and data. If it is fubar, perhaps that might shock it back into sanity, but no way of knowing until you try it.
    Also check the permissions in the Stock Android app too in the same way (just click permissions instead of storage) and make sure it has all permissions checked.

    Other than that I'm out of ideas for now.

  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    not sure if this will help but you could try to set to another launcher like miflavor or any third party launcher. Then open the app drawer and look for stock launcher (I think that is what is called), clear the app cache and data, which will remove all of the launcher setting (icon, widget, etc you have customized)> Then set the launcher as your default launcher to see if that brings the icon back.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I have honestly tried all of the suggestions from everyone. Thanks for the replies. It is definitely on stock android as the default launcher. The icon is just gone. He doesn't want to reset his phone and said he'll just live with it the way it is. Maybe when Oreo comes out it might magically show up again. I doubt it but I am out of ideas to help him. Moral of the story is to never let your 6 year of niece play with your phone. Ever.

  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    What about installing Nova Launcher?

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Right now he's just using apps that he has icons for. I told him about other launchers and he's not interested in them. He says he has an icon for everything he needs. I said then do not let your niece have the phone and delete any icons again. Jim swiping up from the bottom of the screen doesn't do anything. I just tried it on my A7 on my home screen and all others and swiping up doesn't do anything on my phone either.

  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just go over the launch drawer area and slide 2... 3 times left or right.

  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kmb877 said:
    Just go over the launch drawer area and slide 2... 3 times left or right.

    If I'm understanding you correctly you think it may have been moved to an empty page or something?

  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Correct. Happened to me and also to my girlfriend (two Axons). Got moved I don't know where.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kmb877 said:
    Just go over the launch drawer area and slide 2... 3 times left or right.

    I already tried that for him. It's not on any other pages.

  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

    jimlloyd40, as I stated, it happened to me and to my girlfriend, so it is possible.

    ram1220, try this: just touch the bottom of the LCD (any icon from the app drawer) and quickly slide right. The whole drawer is going to slide away. Than, if you want yo can browse your multiple screens, you will not see the drawer anywhere.
    To bring back the drawer, touch the bottom of the screen (where the drawer used to be), and slide left.
    Once again, I'm talking about the drawer apps, not about screens.

  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just attached my phone screen with and without the app drawer.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kmb877 said:

    jimlloyd40, as I stated, it happened to me and to my girlfriend, so it is possible.

    ram1220, try this: just touch the bottom of the LCD (any icon from the app drawer) and quickly slide right. The whole drawer is going to slide away. Than, if you want yo can browse your multiple screens, you will not see the drawer anywhere.
    To bring back the drawer, touch the bottom of the screen (where the drawer used to be), and slide left.
    Once again, I'm talking about the drawer apps, not about screens.

    I'll try that the next time I hang out with my friend. Thanks.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I tried it on my A7 just for grins and none of the icons slide away like you stated. I get a slight vibration but nothing. The only thing I can do with it is change to a different screen. But that's it.

  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @kmb877 said:
    Just attached my phone screen with and without the app drawer.

    How do you get it to reappear?

  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hi hollap,
    I just slided left to the far bottom of the screen, about 3/4" from the bottom bezel. Exactly the area where the drawer used to be, so not over the basic screen. To be more precisely, I slided left below the 5 dots showing I have 5 screens (see screen shots I posted on March 2nd).

Sign In or Register to comment.