What's happening with Trusted Locations? Worked fine until yesterday

sbisbi Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now all of a sudden phone won't unlock unless GPS is on.

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For the trusted location to work, you either need GPS or a significant enough change in location that has a movement range larger than the accuracy radius of the location service setting.

For example, if the phone is in a mode where the accuracy is at best 300 meters, then you will have to go to a location further than 300 meters away, and then come back.

Also double check the address, as sometimes google's address system can behave differently than how USPS might view your address.

For example, USPS may format your address as 123-45 123rd st
    and google may find it more accurate to see it as 12345 123rd st

Beyond that, the location services relies on the various radios on the device. It will use the cellular radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS to try to figure out where you are, and if the confidence is too low (e.g., conflicting data from a VPN making the service is in a different country while all other radios are off), then it will just not trust that you are in a trusted location.

PS, trusted location is also valid for up to 4 hours before you need to use a more secure unlock method. This is a limit set by google for security purposes.

• sbisbi Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:
    For the trusted location to work, you either need GPS or a significant enough change in location that has a movement range larger than the accuracy radius of the location service setting.

For example, if the phone is in a mode where the accuracy is at best 300 meters, then you will have to go to a location further than 300 meters away, and then come back.

Also double check the address, as sometimes google's address system can behave differently than how USPS might view your address.

For example, USPS may format your address as 123-45 123rd st
    and google may find it more accurate to see it as 12345 123rd st

Beyond that, the location services relies on the various radios on the device. It will use the cellular radio, WiFi, Bluetooth, and GPS to try to figure out where you are, and if the confidence is too low (e.g., conflicting data from a VPN making the service is in a different country while all other radios are off), then it will just not trust that you are in a trusted location.

PS, trusted location is also valid for up to 4 hours before you need to use a more secure unlock method. This is a limit set by google for security purposes.

Thanks razor512, but nothing has changed in my location or address since yesterday. Up until yesterday it worked perfectly fine, and sometime last evening it stopped. As simple as that.
    I disabled it and re-enabled it multiple times with GPS and wifi on (both are normally off), but it still refuses to work unless the GPS is on. My GPS was never on when I'm at home and my home is set up as a trusted place.

I am aware of the 4 hours window, that's not the issue though.

In that case, you could clear both the app cache and cache partition, It should clear the locally stored location info, and rebuild that data when the device boots back into the OS.

Beyond that, there are many other troubleshooting methods available for this, as it is a stock feature of android.

Go into the android settings and then doing the following:

1. Click on "Advanced settings".
    2. Click on "Storage".
    3. Click on "Phone memory".
    4. Click on "Cached data".
    5. Click on "OK" (You may have to repeat steps 4 and 5 if it does not fully clear the cache on the first attempt).
      After that is done, press and hold power button for about 5 seconds to bring up the power menu, after that, do the following:

6. Click on "Restart".

7. As soon as the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up button
    8. Keep the volume up button held until the Android recovery menu appears.
    9. Now using the volume control buttons, scroll down to "Wipe cache partition".
    10. Press the power button 1 time to select the option.
    11. Use the volume control buttons again to select "Yes".
    12. Press the power button again to confirm. It should then clear the cache partition.
    13. When it is done, it will automatically take you back to the main screen with "Reboot system now" selected.
    14. Simply press the power button to select that option to reboot the system.

Beyond that, the location services relies on various radios on the device to work.

If for example, you set location mode to device only, and turn GPS off, then it will think you are home until another app does something else to change the location info which may not be consistent and could even cause an issue like you are facing now.

Thanks, but clearing the cache did not fix the problem.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@sbi said:
    Thanks, but clearing the cache did not fix the problem.

How about the cache partition in recovery?

Done that too, twice. Now even with the GPS on it won't unlock, even after deleting and re-setting the location.

When I first go to Smart Lock under Security after clearing the cache, the page is blank. I need to go Trust Agents, Uncheck Smart Lock and then re-check it, and only then the menu under Smart Lock appears (with On-Body Detection, Trusted Places, Trusted devices, etc). But clearly something got screwed up at some point because it worked flawless.

If you open google maps, does it accurately show your location?

@razor512 said:

Yes, right on my house, with or without Location turned on.

• ryampolskyryampolsky United StatesPosts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2018 5:55PM

@sbi said:

@razor512 said:

Could this be the B35 location bug - where certain location requests only work via GPS, and only where the GPS can see the satellite?

@ryampolsky said:

@sbi said:

@razor512 said:

Could this be the B35 location bug - where certain location requests only work via GPS, and only where the GPS can see the satellite?

Hmmm, not sure what B35 is, it's Chinese to me :)

The issues reported under the B35 ROM should not impact the trusted location. It is a function I use on all of my devices, along with my Axon 7 being on B35. One thing is that it does make use of the location services and simply looks up the last known location, thus it relies on updates to the location history (usually periodically or when an app sends a request for the location.

Anyway, what is your location mode set to?

@razor512 said:
    The issues reported under the B35 ROM should not impact the trusted location. It is a function I use on all of my devices, along with my Axon 7 being on B35. One thing is that it does make use of the location services and simply looks up the last known location, thus it relies on updates to the location history (usually periodically or when an app sends a request for the location.

Anyway, what is your location mode set to?

Battery Saving and wifi is off.
    I also have a t-mobile LTE Cellspot in the house, so it really shouldn't have any issues in this mode.

edited February 27, 2018 8:05PM

Try running https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en and see if the cell spot is reporting its GPS location, and compare that to your actual GPS location as reported by the GPS receiver in the phone when by a window.

If using the battery saving mode, along with WiFi being off, then all the phone has to rely on to get your location, is the cell tower (which has very poor accuracy, it is why when you call 911 on your phone, they ask for your location, as the tower based location is very inaccurate.

Bluetooth is almost never used for location as hardly any businesses use those Bluetooth beacons.

If the GPS receiver is off, and the WiFi is off, and there are no Bluetooth beacons set up to provide indoor location services, then it is relying on just the cell towers and your IP address which at best narrows down the location to your town.

The trusted location function will not actively scan for your location, as that would kill the battery in a few hours, thus it waits for something else to request the location, or for the location service to do its periodic updates.

If possible, check if anything changed with the cell spot, or if it ends up reporting the wrong location, or no location at all.
    Also make sure the GPS antenna for the cellspot is properly located in an area where it can get good reception.

@razor512 said:
    Try running https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en and see if the cell spot is reporting its GPS location, and compare that to your actual GPS location as reported by the GPS receiver in the phone when by a window.

If using the battery saving mode, along with WiFi being off, then all the phone has to rely on to get your location, is the cell tower (which has very poor accuracy, it is why when you call 911 on your phone, they ask for your location, as the tower based location is very inaccurate.

Bluetooth is almost never used for location as hardly any businesses use those Bluetooth beacons.

If the GPS receiver is off, and the WiFi is off, and there are no Bluetooth beacons set up to provide indoor location services, then it is relying on just the cell towers and your IP address which at best narrows down the location to your town.

The trusted location function will not actively scan for your location, as that would kill the battery in a few hours, thus it waits for something else to request the location, or for the location service to do its periodic updates.

If possible, check if anything changed with the cell spot, or if it ends up reporting the wrong location, or no location at all.
    Also make sure the GPS antenna for the cellspot is properly located in an area where it can get good reception.

The location in the LTE Discovery Map is identical to the location of the GPS. I'm telling you, nothing changed on my end :) , Cell Spot is in the same location with the same full functionality, I am sitting in the same spot (working from home can suck at times), no new app on the phone...everything is the same as it was, it just that the phone used to be unlocked when I'm home (aside from the 4 hours limit window) and not it's not.

BTW - now it won't unlock even with the GPS on.

What happens if you set a different trusted location, and then restart, then set the trusted location back to your location?

@razor512 said:
    What happens if you set a different trusted location, and then restart, then set the trusted location back to your location?

Finally had a chance to test a different trusted location - no go, still doesn't work.

There is not much else to try beyond backing up all important data and doing a factory reset and not restoring the backup saved in the cloud for the google account as the way it backups config files can also backup corrupt config files that the user would otherwise not have direct access to.

If the cell spot is reporting the correct location (assuming you verified it with google maps https://www.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl (all it takes is being a little off in the 4th decimal place to cause trusted location to stop working).

And comparing it against the coordinates listed next to "Network" within LTE discovery, then since these are not rooted devices, access to things managed by the location services is limited.

The accuracy of the decimal places is very important for the longitude and latitude since a discrepancy more than 80 meters can cause it to ignore the trusted location that discrepency can either come from corrupt data or something else providing incorrect data to the device.

Thanks razor512!

It just pisses me off that things simply stop working out of the blue.

• scott779scott779 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭

I also have issues with smart location. Indeed, I've done all the above troubleshooting methods and I still have issues with it... I've been using it for since I got my Axon 7. ;)

So I've given up, I'm not going to wipe, clear and reset twice a week just to keep it going though cuz thankfully it's not that big of an issue for me. There are many cool things that can be done with our phones, their AI, Apps, etc.. But it takes too much time to manage it all. B)

Luckily I have other things to do in my life rather than text, watch YouTube videos, TV, play games, etc.. on their phones like 84% of everyone else. Hey I'm not knocking those who do... for me it's simply just a matter of how one uses their time. :)

@scott779 said:
    I also have issues with smart location. Indeed, I've done all the above troubleshooting methods and I still have issues with it... I've been using it for since I got my Axon 7. ;)

So I've given up, I'm not going to wipe, clear and reset twice a week just to keep it going though cuz thankfully it's not that big of an issue for me. There are many cool things that can be done with our phones, their AI, Apps, etc.. But it takes too much time to manage it all. B)

Luckily I have other things to do in my life rather than text, watch YouTube videos, TV, play games, etc.. on their phones like 84% of everyone else. Hey I'm not knocking those who do... for me it's simply just a matter of how one uses their time. :)

First of all, I am glad to see I'm not the only one.
    It is pretty annoying for me. When you work at home or in an office, it is very easy to just slide the screen up without needing to unlock it every time you need to read a text or do something.

These are difficult issues to track down since so few users have experienced it, and there doesn't seem to be a way to reproduce the issue.

Things like the location services are not really changed by phone makers.

The only explanation I can come up for why it is not working, is either some error with the location service where due to some corrupt data (extremely rare) or something giving it conflicting location data. Since it is a security feature, these systems are designed to play it safe and require authentication whenever there is any doubt about the smart lock.