Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

[POLL] What’s the minimum price point would you expect NFC on a smartphone?

2»

Comments

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use mobile payments every day. I might not expect NFC on a very low end phone (<$150), but even then it's not a trade-off I would make happily.

• EyePeaSeaEyePeaSea London, EnglandPosts: 39 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can get smart phones for less than $250? But anyway - for me, NFC is a must-have, I wouldn't buy a phone without it.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams United StatesPosts: 448 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How much does an NFC chip actually cost? I know companies buy in bulk, but what is the bottom line cost of a single chip?

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It is not always the chip. You also have to pay for additional tests and certification. This is why you sometime see devices with a chip or capability to do something but is not turned on. Most come is FM radio.

• diamonddavediamonddave Upstate NYPosts: 351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know if there is a separate chip for NFC. I could be wrong, but it's part of a broader chipset. Broadcom had the quad combo BCM43341 as a few years back that had WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, and FM. I'm not sure what the latest and greatest iteration of that is, but it can't be too expensive

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams United StatesPosts: 448 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I know that already. But I asked if anyone has an idea on how much they cost. > @wiseman13 said:

It is not always the chip. You also have to pay for additional tests and certification. This is why you sometime see devices with a chip or capability to do something but is not turned on. Most come is FM radio.

• caelironstaffcaelironstaff USAPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

I use android pay, automation via NFC (a variety of tags and stickers), and I have an NFC ring (NFCring.com). I personally will not ever purchase a phone without NFC and more importantly that NFC must be unlocked for me to do with as I please (looking at you Apple).

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@syntap said:
    What @mrjlwilliams and @hollap said, with mobile payments increasing in use it should be a standard feature. But I do think it is fair not to expect that on the cheapest of phones, so $150 is the cutoff I voted for here in 2018. In 2019 or 2020 I'll probably answer $0.01.

Personally I don't use mobile payments because I go rooted to support other NFC-triggered tasks and Google Pay won't work on a rooted/unlocked phone (or at least I haven't taken the time to figure out how to do it). But NFC is something I use a lot. Whenever I get in the car I tap an NFC sticker to turn on location, bluetooth, and launch Waze and my podcasting program. Tapping a sticker on my toll transponder flips it all back to "at home" mode without all that on.

if you use magisk to root, it will auto hide the root for the android pay/google pay app...all you need to do is go get a root hider app that does specific phones so that you can just hide root for android pay

• Harish_SridharanHarish_Sridharan DuPont WA Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

It can be done at any price point. But you might have to sacrifice some other features to fit the budget

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@schwartzasher said:
    if you use magisk to root, it will auto hide the root for the android pay/google pay app...all you need to do is go get a root hider app that does specific phones so that you can just hide root for android pay

Thanks for this, I need to look more into this so I can finally start using Android/Google Pay regularly :)

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@syntap said:

@schwartzasher said:

Thanks for this, I need to look more into this so I can finally start using Android/Google Pay regularly :)

No problem. Always here to help. I use magsik on any phone that has it available and that has nfc. If a phone doesn't I am not that concerned. Butsince my phone has root and nfc I used magisk. It auto hides root for Google pay.

• BR3005BR3005 United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭

I have always had the "premium" android phones. Never used NFC once.

• MyhrddinMyhrddin United StatesPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

As long as the illusion that NFC is a Premium feature can be maintained, it'll remain a feature that more reasonably-priced phones don't have. Along with better, more-frequent security patches, NFC should be a standard feature in more-developed countries.. I've a sneaking suspicion that it's been standard in emerging economies for a few years now.. such as India & much of Africa where large percentages of people use their phones to buy & sell and xfer money to each other as well. And, the radios (FM) work on their phones too while they're disabled in countries deemed to have more disposable income so they'll use Data to stream it instead of utilizing free OTA broadcasts. *sigh What do you think.?

2»