a letter to ZTE

ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername MNPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭

with the axon 7 soon receiving Oreo in the coming months, and with the soon to be announced axon 9 seemingly just around the corner, I thought it might be good for me to let ZTE know my experiences with my axon 7. I encourage others to make similar posts to let ZTE know what you think.

Overall, my experiences have been mostly positive. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the accessories I could ever want were packed in with my phone. That experience positively effected my overall opinion of the phone so good on you ZTE. I have also found that my Axon 7 is very proficient at taking photos, as #shotonaxon will show you. I also enjoy the Dolby Atmos front facing speakers, much louder than any phone I have ever used before, and can be as loud as some bluetooth speakers. The 1440p screen is stunning. So far so good.

As for the not as positive things I have to say about the phone, I would have wished that ZTE had made sure that the phone was certified to play videos from third parties in HD or even better 1440p. I struggle to find many uses for my 1440p screen that are outside of third party video playback. If i buy a phone with a 1440p screen, I expect to see 1440p video when I watch netflix. Additionally, while the recent updates are more than welcome, I wish that when major security vulnerabilities are found, that ZTE would make a security patch ASAP.

So to recap, overall I very much enjoy my phone, but when making the next flagship phone I hope you incorporate a 1440p screen, dual front facing speakers, and make sure the security updates are timely and make sure that the phone is certified to play movies at the same resolution as the phone.
That is all,
Thatonebadusername

Comments

• jazzijazzi Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2018 8:31PM

Well said dude. However actually signing with that username is absolutely hilarious :D.

Incidentally I had my worst experience with the Axon 7 today. While filming some videos - about 6 or so with few over a minute long and none over 4 minutes, the camera app suddenly froze. The screen also became non-responsive and Nova Launcher crashed. Eventually, the screen just turned black. I had to then hold down the power button for over 30 seconds to get the phone to reboot.

The same thing happened when I started the camera again. I suspected that it was a heat issue and thus allowed the unit to cool down for about 5 to 10 minutes. The problem still persisted so I left the phone for a couple of hours.

It seems fine now.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 688 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jazzi I also had the same exact thing happen to me last December while I was filming my daughter's Christmas play. Granted I had been filming much longer than you had, as I had been filming for around 20-25 minutes non-stop and the camera app suddenly froze up just as yours did. I also had to hold the power button to restart and let the phone cool off, but by then the play was over. Fortunately I was lucky enough to be able to take pictures after the play but missed some great memories that I would've loved to have had on film but I'm glad I got what I did + the pictures of her, her classmates and teachers after the play. This is the only time in almost a year and a half this has happened, so overall I'm extremely happy with my Axon 7.

• kmb877kmb877 Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2018 9:10AM

I have 2 Axon 7. Initially I installed Nova on both of them. A lot of problems (read crashes), including the camera app while filming. Replaced with Apex launcher, no more problems. The "funny part", I have a Lenovo TAB2 tablet. Apex launcher removed the back (left) virtual button. Back to factory settings, etc. The only stable solution was... to install Nova!!!

• jazzijazzi Posts: 157 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1
    Good to know that you were able to capture those memories.

@kmb877
    I never had Nova Launcher issues before. I have seen one a two posts by users mentioning crashes so if the problem reoccurs, I'll switch to Apex or another launcher.

The built-in launchers are out of the question. I can't put up with the limited icon grid layout options or the humongous icon sizes.

I've never had Nova Launcher issues before either, and I'm 99.9% sure that the reason the camera app acted up was due to over heating. I'm with @jazzi, I can't handle the limited grid layout either, as I use 8X7 on Nova which might be extreme to some but I like my icons/folders small.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,099 mod

@Thatonebadusername Thanks for sharing! I absolutely love the dual front facing speakers and hope this continues with the Axon 9 as well!

😁

• ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername MNPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fzrrich thanks for the feedback!

@Thatonebadusername nice write up/review, I must say that your thoughts, pros & cons are 99.9% in line with my thoughts. Thanks for conveying them in a well written letter/post, I must say congrats on a job well done!

• ThatonebadusernameThatonebadusername MNPosts: 24 ✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:
    @Thatonebadusername nice write up/review, I must say that your thoughts, pros & cons are 99.9% in line with my thoughts. Thanks for conveying them in a well written letter/post, I must say congrats on a job well done!

Thank you for the kind words. That means a lot. 😀

edited February 20, 2018 12:06AM

@Thatonebadusername said:

@texasmade1 said:

Thank you for the kind words. That means a lot. 😀

No problem 👍🏼, well deserved.

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add to the the request ..

Dear ZTE,
    Assuming you are also going to release an Axon 9 Mini, here is what I would like to see for features -

Basically, give us a refreshed version of the 7 Mini ! It was darn near perfect already for a midrange phone.

Give us a midrange phone based on the Snapdragon 636, 4GB of RAM would be a good upgrade as well as 64GB of internal storage and uSD card slot. I honestly have no complaints about the OLED display in the 7 Mini so make it at least as good as that. 802.11ac, NFC, Bluetooth 5, additional LTE bands that the carriers are using now. Wifi calling and HD Voice should be supported on as many carriers as possible. Upgrade the cameras a bit and keep the rear fingerprint sensor right where it is. The phone should come with Android Oreo with a "stock android" experience and follow "project tango" guidelines to allow for timely software updates. And, keep the price in the $200 range. You are competing with the MOTO G line here so give us more bang for the buck (including NFC alone will do that).

The 7 Mini was/is a great phone (still!). I don't need a new one now, but when I do I would happily choose an Axon 9 Mini if it was anything like what I described above.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gweeper64 , I agree. I think mini is a great device that offers a great bang for the bucks. I really like its form factor and what ZTE has done with it. I would love to see ZTE comes out with another one as well. Hopefully we will get to see one soon.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,113 mod

I love the mini for certain times like during the summer for when wearing shorts and when fishing and out and about since its just small enough where its not uncomfortable in the pocket or to bulky but packs good enough sound to sit outside and listen to some music or watch some youtube while hanging out. But if hanging out at home or most other times the A7 is just better for most task so its just hard not to use.