WiFi speed very slow

stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This seems to be an intermittent problem. Sometimes when I update my apps via the Google Play Store the download will start and be very, very slow even though my phone is in the same room as the router. If I cancel the download and turn off and on the WiFi, then when I start the download again the speed is much faster. Anybody know what's causing this?

Best Answer

Answers

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not experienced this. Can you rule out your router by trying to update apps on a different WiFi network other than your home set up? I update apps on my work and home WiFi without the issues you described. If it does the same thing on a different WiFi network, then we all can help jump in and troubleshoot. Trying the easy thing first by using a different network.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,436 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Which router are you using?

Also, are you using multiple bands with the same SSID and password, if so then check which band you are connecting to as well as the other devices on that band.

Also know that technologies like MIMO require all devices on that AP to support it.

Devices like the Axon 7 and Axon M, work best on the 5GHz band since that band does not have to share airime with the Bluetooth radio. Furthermore, 802.11ac has better multiplexing than the 2.4GHz band.

PS also if you do not have much interference in your area, then avoid using and DFS channels, due to the way those work, if you are near an airport or if a plane flies anywhere near your area, the router will change channels, and if the change happens within the DFS frequency range, and the router lacks proper bandsteering, then you can end up with a situation where a DFS channel change causes the phone to drop to the 2.4GHz band.

Under an 802.11ac connection with the router properly configured to allow 80MHz channel width (do not enable 160MHz mode if your router supports it unless you are in an area with no other 5GHz APs in range), then the Axon 7 should get a real world throughout for TCP connections ranging from 280Mbps to 350Mbps depending on the router.

While 2.4GHz will top out at about 120Mbps assuming no other clients are on that same band

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have the issues described thankfully! I used to have these issues (the lte one) but they went away with the latest update. Now it's typically fast all the time! A trick to the ones with the LTE issue is switch to regular 4G and your speeds should pick up (it did for me)!

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have not noticed this on my A7 on either band thankfully.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have had this issue in the past with the playstore on one or two of the my device. This seems to be affecting playstore only as when I run speedtest or streaming contents, there is no problem. I do not remember exactly but I believe I have tried to clear the cache and data for the google play service. But I think the problem just went away after a few days and it is working fine since then. So I think it maybe google's server issue.