Where is MMS database in Axon 7?

Good Afternoon, Just wondering if someone can tell me where the MMS database is located and what it is called? I had some turkey send me a virus, and I am trying to delete my entire text message database. disabling/enabling the messaging app isn't doing anything. Neither is deleting storage and cache.

Thank you in advance!

Answers

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps you should try installing a free anti-virus app from Google Play Store.

• rforce1rforce1 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

Thanks, tried both Avast and Lookout. It didn't find the virus, which hopefully is a good thing and means it hasn't executed yet.

I just want to delete all my messages and start the message app from scratch (hopefully without doing a factory reset).

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rforce1 said:

@stevec5375 said:

Thanks, tried both Avast and Lookout. It didn't find the virus, which hopefully is a good thing and means it hasn't executed yet.

I just want to delete all my messages and start the message app from scratch (hopefully without doing a factory reset).

Deleting them all manually, doing a FDR any of these still wouldnt erase the data, hackers can easily obtain the information with a free data recovery tool available all over the web.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018 10:06PM

I believe it is stored within a sub directory of the /data/ folder which requires root access to access via a 3rd party application.

There is an adb command that can clear the messaged, but it will clear both text messages, as well as mms messages.

The command is the following:

Make sure USB debugging is enabled

adb devices
    adb shell
    pm clear com.android.providers.telephony

Though really, If you truly think you received malicious code through an MMS, would you really want to connect that device to your PC? in order to run an ADB command?

PS, antivirus products for smartphones often will not detect the same set of malware that the desktop version will, as they often do not be expecting android users to be running win32 or other x86 code.

PS, if you work with any sensitive data on your device or computer, and it gets infected. even if the malware is removed, unless you are aware of 100% all changes the malware made, then you can never really trust that OS install again, especially if the malware was capable of communicating with a command and control server, as at that point, the changes can be completely arbitrary.

Beyond that, it would be worth checking if you really got malware through an mms, usually even a malformed image would not make it through the mms system since everything gets resampled. So far I have not see any reports of mms malware, so it is worth figuring out if you really encountered malware or not.