AT&T Service No Signal, Other Carriers

clarktccclarktcc Vero Beach, FloridaPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I both have Axon 7 phones and AT&T cell phone service. Have had AT&T for several years now and the Axon phones for about 9 months with no problems and we both love the phones. Last week we have had no service at home, service stops about a 1/4 mile from our house and under about phone sims settings it says Cellular Network Status Disconnected. Cannot call out or receive calls. Phone works perfect away from home. AT&T says nothing has changed with their towers and we must just be in a dead zone. Recommended using wifi calling which we cannot with this phone and they do not sell the microcell boosters anymore. Next step they said was buying a new wifi supported phone.

Thinking of trying another cell carrier that will support this phone, which we are leary of as not sure how this phone works with other carriers. Have great coverage with AT&T but at home now and make most calls from there. Looking for suggestions from other Axon 7 owners.

Thanks

Comments

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 13, 2018 11:36PM

For your current service, iif the signal suddenly changes, I recommend checking LTE discovery https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery (it will ask for 2 permissions in order to function properly).

It should show if there are any other cell towers near you.

If there are a number of towers near you, you could check in your android settings and look for the dual SIM settings, and then for SIM slot 1 (if using 1 service provider then it is best to use the first slot).

You should then find a Network operators setting, there you should be able to search for networks to see what is in range of you.

That search can take a while but it will show which options you have for service providers.

If you had good service in your area prior to this issue,the I recommend if possible, trying an older phone just to rule out anything device specific, and if both have the same issue, then the issue could potentially be a localized issue with one of the towers in your area.

PS if it finds an AT&T tower, then try restarting the phone to see if it would connect to that tower then.

If it always had issues, then you could potentially switch to a different provider, though it is important to compare plans. for best overall performance and compatibility, t-mobile works really well in areas where they provide good coverage, though their 'One" plan can be quite pricey if you do not need unlimited data.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 16,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 12:28AM

@clarktcc that's pretty strange that after 9 months that would suddenly happen. I don't know how it's possible to be in a dead zone suddenly. If you have T-Mobile service in your area I would definitely switch. T-Mobile is less expensive and wifi calling with the Axon 7 works fine. Also if you have a T-Mobile signal but it's weak they have what they call a "Cell Spot". It's literally a miniature cellular tower and it only costs a one time price of $25 which is refundable if you switch carriers. They also have a plan called "55 Plus". You get 2 unlimited lines for $70 per month total. Here's the link for that plan.

https://www.t-mobile.com/offers/t-mobile-one-unlimited-55

And I do not work for T-Mobile.

• zapps1989zapps1989 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

@clarkcc I had similar issue for couple of times. Not sure if you tried putting your phone in airplane mode. If not, please try that. This has resolved my issue.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,226 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

ATT customer service wouldn't know specifically if something has changed on a particular tower or not. This would have to get escalated to to network/tower engineers, and they rarely offer that. We can get in direct touch with these folks because of our state contact through work and things do change sometimes from my experience and they make adjustments. They just don't do this for regular customers very often though.

• clarktccclarktcc Vero Beach, FloridaPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks everyone for your assistance. Have tried everything to no avail, except on the LTE Discovery app it had a place for Restart Cell Radio One Time, and have not tried it. Wondering if that would mess with other settings on the phone. Tried the sims card on an Axon M that I won during the Christmas giveaway, and an older Samsung Galaxy phone. and both doing the same as the two Axon 7’s. We are on prepaid AT&T as I do not like contracts so I could move to another carrier. Like what I see with T-mobile and their 55 older plan as I do fit into that category, so might have to rethink the contract issue. I have just heard T-mobile does not have the best coverage and we do travel a lot and always had coverage until now at home with AT&T.

edited April 14, 2018 11:14AM

@clarktcc said:
    Thanks everyone for your assistance. Have tried everything to no avail, except on the LTE Discovery app it had a place for Restart Cell Radio One Time, and have not tried it. Wondering if that would mess with other settings on the phone. Tried the sims card on an Axon M that I won during the Christmas giveaway, and an older Samsung Galaxy phone. and both doing the same as the two Axon 7’s. We are on prepaid AT&T as I do not like contracts so I could move to another carrier. Like what I see with T-mobile and their 55 older plan as I do fit into that category, so might have to rethink the contract issue. I have just heard T-mobile does not have the best coverage and we do travel a lot and always had coverage until now at home with AT&T.

T-Mobile 's rural coverage is still not as good as Verizon' s but overall T-Mobile is now consistently rated number one in LTE speeds.

https://opensignal.com/reports/2017/02/usa/state-of-the-mobile-network

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The restart cell radio is pretty much the same as putting the phone in and out of airplane mode. If other devices are having the same issue, then it is likely an issue with the tower.

Typically to get a cell company to do something about a tower issue, you need to call and complain a number of times until you get a CSR who is willing ti escalate the issue, then often in a few weeks, they may send someone out to check on the issue, and if enough people in the area complain, or start requesting those microcells (if offered for free in many cases).

In the case of Verizon, they got tired of the complaining and began installing a tower on the top of a nearby building in my area (took a pic while it was being installed).

Only issue is that it is a process that takes many weeks or a few months for a cell company to decide to take larger steps in fixing a signal issue.

An alternative is to search for other carriers in the area and see which has the strongest signal, and then see if they have affordable plans.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you have same issue with other two phones then the problem is definitely due to ATT's coverage. Not too sure if switching carrier would help you if you are just in the fringe of the network. If you have a friend that has t-mo sim you could borrow to test would be useuful. Since you are on prepaid, you could always try it and see how is your coverage with T-Mobile is at home.

@clarktcc said:

@clarktcc the 55 and over plan at T-Mobile is a plan but you are not locked into a contract. You can quit and change carriers at any time without penalty. T-Mobile does not have locked in contracts anymore. And at $35 per month unlimited everything you won't find a less expensive plan and if you are a Netflix subscriber they will pay for your Netflix subscription also.

@samsamha said:
    If you have same issue with other two phones then the problem is definitely due to ATT's coverage. Not too sure if switching carrier would help you if you are just in the fringe of the network. If you have a friend that has t-mo sim you could borrow to test would be useuful. Since you are on prepaid, you could always try it and see how is your coverage with T-Mobile is at home.

And don't forget the T-Mobile personal Cell Spot for home use.

• kmb877kmb877 Posts: 152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello clarktcc,
    Clearly AT&T has a problem with the tower near you, unfortunately nothing you can fix...
    I used to be with AT&T long time ago and 6... 7 years ago I switched, I got T-mobile prepaid (way more benefits for less money). During the last 3 years, I saw a lot of coverage improvement not only inside big cities (like New York, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Cleveland, LA, San Francisco...), but also all over rural areas (like CT, NH, VT, MA, PA...).
    However, 10 months ago I switched from T-mobile to Ultramobile (a T-mobile MVNO). The service is on T-mobile network, and I have all international calls included, and very cheap international calls roaming.
    Wi-fi calling works perfectly not only in the USA but international too (I used myself wi-fi calling in Mexico, Germany, Austria, Czech Republic and Romania).
    If you're interested to sign-up with Ultramobile, please check first https://www.ezkonnect.com, you can get the Ultramobile $29/month plan with $220 per year by paying in advance (meaning $18.33/month). This is only one time promotional plan.
    Axon 7 has great 2G, 3G, 4G and LTE capabilities on T-mobile's network, including VoLTE.
    Hope this helps.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 409 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 3:49PM

Try Mintsim. They are an MVNO that uses T-Mobile. You can try out their 3 month $15 per month plan and see if you like it. No contract. They also offer a 7 day full refund if it doesn't work for you. I liked them so much that I recently paid for 1 year. And no I do not work for Mintsim or T-Mobile. I had nothing but trouble with AT&T.

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Same here for mintsim! I did the buy 3 get 3 last year around December so my plan doesn't expire till June 19th! Mintsim is really good even though they use T-Mobile (but they have gotten better) and I haven't had a problem with them at all! I do not work for Mintsim but if I did I wonder if I'd get a discount to make it even cheaper lol.

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your assistance. Went to another AT&T store in town, as we have three, and asked if maybe the sim cards could be bad since Best Buy cut our old ones when we purchased the phones to fit. They said maybe and installed new ones and tested phones out okay. Got home and phones did the same thing, no calling or receiving calls. As before everything else works great. Playing around I did notice if I turned the wifi off on the phone the cellular network status would then say connected, turn wifi on then disconnected. Tested on a public wifi and same thing. Even doing this at home still cannot call. Have tried everything but factory reset and really do not want to do and lose everything on phone. I guess carrier change is next.

@clarktcc said:
    Just wanted to thank everyone again for your assistance. Went to another AT&T store in town, as we have three, and asked if maybe the sim cards could be bad since Best Buy cut our old ones when we purchased the phones to fit. They said maybe and installed new ones and tested phones out okay. Got home and phones did the same thing, no calling or receiving calls. As before everything else works great. Playing around I did notice if I turned the wifi off on the phone the cellular network status would then say connected, turn wifi on then disconnected. Tested on a public wifi and same thing. Even doing this at home still cannot call. Have tried everything but factory reset and really do not want to do and lose everything on phone. I guess carrier change is next.

See my earlier post about T-Mobile and the Cell Spot.

• westside80westside80 United StatesPosts: 6,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you like prepaid you should look at Straight Talk. They support AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. You pick which sim you want to activate in your starter kit. You could try the T-Mobile sim and if it worked you would have a cheap plan. I pay $59 for Unlimited everything with Straight Talk's Ultimate Unlimited plan. It's truly unlimited. No slow down on internet no matter how many gb's you use. They also have cheaper plans but if you need Unlimited internet then the Ultimate Unlimited plan works great! I love it. My LTE speeds aren't capped like they were with cricket wireless. Cricket only gives you 8Mbps down. With Straight Talk at home I get anywhere from 12Mbps to 20Mbps. I average around 17Mbps at my house. In town it's around 50Mbps down. I use the Straight Talk AT&T sim card but the others work the same. You should look into it if you want to stick with prepaid.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@clarktcc said:

See my earlier post about T-Mobile and the Cell Spot.

@clarktcc said:

Sounds like the only thing you haven't tried is the one thing you need to try. You need to do a factory reset. I bet that fixes your issue.

@westside80 said:
    If you like prepaid you should look at Straight Talk. They support AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile. You pick which sim you want to activate in your starter kit. You could try the T-Mobile sim and if it worked you would have a cheap plan. I pay $59 for Unlimited everything with Straight Talk's Ultimate Unlimited plan. It's truly unlimited. No slow down on internet no matter how many gb's you use. They also have cheaper plans but if you need Unlimited internet then the Ultimate Unlimited plan works great! I love it. My LTE speeds aren't capped like they were with cricket wireless. Cricket only gives you 8Mbps down. With Straight Talk at home I get anywhere from 12Mbps to 20Mbps. I average around 17Mbps at my house. In town it's around 50Mbps down. I use the Straight Talk AT&T sim card but the others work the same. You should look into it if you want to stick with prepaid.

He and his wife can get unlimited everything for $35 a month each on T-Mobile with the 55 and up plan. And get Netflix paid for.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

He and his wife can get unlimited everything for $35 a month each on T-Mobile with the 55 and up plan. And get Netflix paid for.

Isn't that with a contract though? He mentioned he liked prepaid.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

T-Mobile doesn't have contracts anymore which makes the deal even better because you don't pay until you've used the service. Unlike prepaid.

edited April 17, 2018 12:39AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

T-Mobile doesn't have contracts anymore which makes the deal even better because you don't pay until you've used the service. Unlike prepaid.

Definitely cheaper than ST. I pay $59 a month to not worry about anything. Paying less would be better. Unfortunately, T-Mobile is crap in my area. There's not even a T-Mobile store nearby. I don't know anyone that has T-Mobile in my area and I'm not gonna be the first to try it out. T-Mobile customer service said they would check in with me every month through FB Messenger about 6 months ago to let me know about the service progress in my area and I haven't heard anything since. Lol

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

Definitely cheaper than ST. I pay $59 a month to not worry about anything. Paying less would be better. Unfortunately, T-Mobile is crap in my area. There's not even a T-Mobile store nearby. I don't know anyone that has T-Mobile in my area and I'm not gonna be the first to try it out. T-Mobile customer service said they would check in with me every month through FB Messenger about 6 months ago to let me know about the service progress in my area and I haven't heard anything since. Lol

Until T-Mobile gets the 600 MHz frequency, channel 71, in your area there won't be any improvement in their service. Even then you'll need phone that utilizes the 600 MHz frequency.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

Until T-Mobile gets the 600 MHz frequency, channel 71, in your area there won't be any improvement in their service. Even then you'll need phone that utilizes the 600 MHz frequency.

Yep.

Back everthing up on one phone, reset it. Worth a shot. Not much u actually lose these days with all the cloud storage options. You have two phones, so it's worth doing the process on one to save u the pain of switching carriers.

When doing a factory reset do you leave the sims card in or remove it? Thanks

@clarktcc said:

You can leave them in.

@clarktcc said:

Leave the sim card in. Just do a reset and start fresh. Don't use a backup just in case. It'll take longer than restoring from a backup but it's a sure fire way not to end up having the same problem you had before the reset.