Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
[POLL]Wireless Charging - You Knew This Was Coming!
[POLL]How Do You Search Within Text?

How Do You Search Within Text?

ZTE ResearchZTE Research Posts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 10, 2018 3:19PM in Consumer Lab

The Consumer Lab team would like to learn about your mobile phone usage when it comes to searching text on your device.

An example would be reading an article online and selecting a word that you would like to know the definition of.

Please
1) Select one of the options below according to your usage of text search.
2) Reply with the scenarios that you use and any pain points you have when searching through text.

Citing multiple scenarios would be appreciated and screenshots are always a plus.

How Do You Search Within Text? 53 votes

Manually input text in the search box (ie... search engine of choice)
28% 15 votes
Paste text in the search box (ie... search engine of choice)
11% 6 votes
Long press text to search (ie... default search engine to search)
60% 32 votes

Comments

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 389 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I voted for long press, as it makes things quicker. All you have to do is long press on the word and swipe up and most of the time, the definition is there. If that doesn't work for some reason, then I may paste the text into a search box.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Typically I just paste into the search bar.

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 180 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Usually I manually type stuff in but if I'm doing web stuff I just press and hold and press search

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i normally will copy and paste into chrome. though i can see the benefit of able to long press, highlight and translate/define without the need to copy. However, I don't want to bug down the phone or have random behavior since long press to highlight for copy and paste has been a pretty standard behavior. I don't do a lot of seraches so it is possible that even if the feature is there, I may not want to set it as default setting.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love long press myself and I often highlight and long press the home button to have Google assistant weigh in so it is a familiar action.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2018 8:39PM

I checked manually, but it's really about 50-50 between that and pasting text into the box.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,600 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

LONG PRESS TEXT would be ideal.
    I wish such a feature existed on all devices. It would sure make life a lot easier.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,664 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I long press the word cause it us similar to whsst I do on my Windows pc (right click a word to search for it)

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,902 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

used to my choice once in a while i'll deviate.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,898 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I chose long press but honestly this is something I so rarely do.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 687 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use long press about 75% of the time and I manually type the text into my search box about 25%.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I enter text into the search bar. Just by habit. I don't need to do this very often, so I don't really care either way.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use long press to search the definition of a word or the phone number oor addreess if I am long-pressing a location. Another thing I do is to call up the Google Assistant to define a word.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I usually search manually using a search box unless I know I will long press to select the word correctly... and then a pop-up menu with web search occurs.

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

Neither on of these answers fit my use. When I am inputting text on a mobile I use speech for search. When I am translating Japanese, Korean or Chinese, I paste directly into a translate box. Long press directly to translation is fine but it's the only time I am search from text. When it's English I want to rephrase the search and not just search from text

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 643 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This poll doesn't seem to be so much about searching within text (e.g., using the browser's "find in page" function), but doing a web-search of something that's already written on the page. In those cases, if it's a single word I generally just use long press. If it's multiple words, I would just retype it into the search bar. Only as a last resort would I ever use copy/paste for multiple words, because I absolutely hate moving the bounding handles.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll MainePosts: 4,527 mod
    edited April 13, 2018 2:10AM

What, I don't know everything? I still copy and paste into google search directly out of habit. Sometimes changing habit makes things slower than speeding things up.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,099 mod

I long press the word but also copy and paste words/terms in the Chrome browser search engine for more information.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,552 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Copy and paste but I also manually type as well.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I normally manually text. Sometimes I copy and paste.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually just long press. It's super fast and simple. Just one step and your done.

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 211 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long-press, fastest way to go for me usually.

• mike2456mike2456 China Peoples RepublicPosts: 10 ✭✭✭

I maybe the all involved

• vijetvijet United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

Long Press is the way to go. Long press-> (get options to see definition or search)

• RogRog BHPP United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

Usually type in manually. Not much of a chore, how much time is actually being saved?