Welcome to our Beta Lab page. We are currently not recruiting at this time for any new projects.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Axon 7 A2017U Oreo Preview Program

Comments

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is a silence from ZTE that is "troubling" if I can say this. We all know that BETA tester will not talk about it, but this don't prevent ZTE form making statment about the "evolution" of the test.

Also, lately we didn't hear much about the new Axon9, only that it will come, later this year. All other brands launched their device or created some hype around it. ZTE makes poll to see what consumer want. It's great, but that makes me think that they are not ready.

We hear much more about Nubia than ZTE.

So in that sense, I can agree with @icerevolver that one might think something is wrong about all this. Many device from around the time the Axon7 got Oreo already.

I personnally would like to be more informed about Oreo availlability and future Axon 9. This would prevent me from buying a new phone too early

• icerevolvericerevolver Posts: 34 ✭✭✭✭✭

@acatrus said:
    There is a silence from ZTE that is "troubling" if I can say this. We all know that BETA tester will not talk about it, but this don't prevent ZTE form making statment about the "evolution" of the test.

Also, lately we didn't hear much about the new Axon9, only that it will come, later this year. All other brands launched their device or created some hype around it. ZTE makes poll to see what consumer want. It's great, but that makes me think that they are not ready.

We hear much more about Nubia than ZTE.

So in that sense, I can agree with @icerevolver that one might think something is wrong about all this. Many device from around the time the Axon7 got Oreo already.

I personnally would like to be more informed about Oreo availlability and future Axon 9. This would prevent me from buying a new phone too early

Thank you. Things just look suspect was the whole point. It's hard to believe what a company is saying when they are not saying anything. Pu the beta to the side, I haven't met anyone thus far with the official OTA Oreo update either. We are half way through the month. So people can't talk about that either?

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,288 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2018 11:52AM

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:
    No new news? I'll remember this when I goto upgrade...newest verisons is a must..at least being able to test them..maybe I'll head to the pixel 2 xl next..axon 7 is a beast... great phone..but I've been waiting for the beta from day #1 pretty much..makes me wonder how many people y'all actually have testing??...I'm very picky with phones and how I go about things..Ill remember how things are now..6 months from now when I upgrade..this new axon is on my list to get..but if we can't be a community and actually be able to test and help y'all out..I can find another brand..one that is more accepting of users who wanna help build the brand and the software..wish ZTE the best..

Do we actually know ANYONE that was actually in the beta, how do we know there was an actual beta for sure. Since the real update is rolling then beta should be over. So anyone that was actually in the beta should be able say that they were at least in the beta. Who has actually been in the beta process here?

With posts like this, do you think you will ever be selected? You guys **** and complain like spoiled children. It gets so tiring reading your comments when they are nothing more than whining. If you are so unhappy here please just leave.

Did you read the post? The guy clearly said he has been here since day one and now the testing is over, being selected is no longer a longer a choice he created about. And i already have Oreo on my Axon 7, before it rolled out, so I don't care to take part in a beta that's over anyway. Just an FYI, anywho who speaks good about anything or anyone, Wich plenty of people here have done, also has the right to speak bad about someone or something if they feel a certain way about something. They don't have to leave sir. But if this is all you see, and don't want to see it, then you could be the one to leave. I see it as a legit question that was asked.

I have been here since almost the beginning too but I understand that things take time and issues can come up. If they released a beta that isn't ready then everyone would be complaining.

What bothers me are comments like "Do we actually know ANYONE that was actually in the beta, how do we know there was an actual beta for sure." Do you think they are lieing about it? That is just asinine! That is simply complaining because you weren't picked.

Guess what, I wasn't picked either but that's life. I have seen enough from ZTE and the mods to know that they are doing their best to get the Oreo update ready.

I asked the question, but I have also had Oreo on my Axon 7 for a while. And I'm very content with not being in the beta, that's what custom roms are for. And it's a real question. As excited as people were, now that the beta is over, I've been around here everyday and haven't seen or heard of anyone being in a beta. Not saying that their lying, but to say that any company isn't lying is ignorant. Anything's possible. Not once did I say that they were lying, question is, who has been in the beta. No reason to give details about features, but who was in it. I haven't met a person yet out of everyone here or xda who has said that they were in it since it ended. So after that, that would lead to the question of was there a public beta. Keep in mind, there are different types. Betas can also take place in house, open source, open, closed and more.

You're not going to hear from anyone who is or has been in the Oreo Beta. They signed an NDA and cannot say anything. I have been in a couple of ZTE betas and can tell you they are real and very professional. Everyone will have to wait until Oreo is ready. At that point it will be realeased.

But now your saying right now that you took part in a past beta. Why can't anyone say that they took part in a Oreo beta since it's over? And we talking about on sites other than ZTE on top of that. What are these, Black Ops missions. But you can't blame people for thinking it didn't happen if that's the case. All I'm saying. I wasn't in the beta therefor no NDA but I have Oreo on my Axon 7, so if anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask me.

Wow, Are you really saying this? I said I took part in former Beta's. I did not say which ones,(NDA). ZTE can do and say whatever/whenever they want concerning their products, updates ect. If anyone doesn't like it they have the option to go to another OEM. That's all I'm saying. :smile:

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:
    No new news? I'll remember this when I goto upgrade...newest verisons is a must..at least being able to test them..maybe I'll head to the pixel 2 xl next..axon 7 is a beast... great phone..but I've been waiting for the beta from day #1 pretty much..makes me wonder how many people y'all actually have testing??...I'm very picky with phones and how I go about things..Ill remember how things are now..6 months from now when I upgrade..this new axon is on my list to get..but if we can't be a community and actually be able to test and help y'all out..I can find another brand..one that is more accepting of users who wanna help build the brand and the software..wish ZTE the best..

Do we actually know ANYONE that was actually in the beta, how do we know there was an actual beta for sure. Since the real update is rolling then beta should be over. So anyone that was actually in the beta should be able say that they were at least in the beta. Who has actually been in the beta process here?

With posts like this, do you think you will ever be selected? You guys **** and complain like spoiled children. It gets so tiring reading your comments when they are nothing more than whining. If you are so unhappy here please just leave.

Did you read the post? The guy clearly said he has been here since day one and now the testing is over, being selected is no longer a longer a choice he created about. And i already have Oreo on my Axon 7, before it rolled out, so I don't care to take part in a beta that's over anyway. Just an FYI, anywho who speaks good about anything or anyone, Wich plenty of people here have done, also has the right to speak bad about someone or something if they feel a certain way about something. They don't have to leave sir. But if this is all you see, and don't want to see it, then you could be the one to leave. I see it as a legit question that was asked.

I have been here since almost the beginning too but I understand that things take time and issues can come up. If they released a beta that isn't ready then everyone would be complaining.

What bothers me are comments like "Do we actually know ANYONE that was actually in the beta, how do we know there was an actual beta for sure." Do you think they are lieing about it? That is just asinine! That is simply complaining because you weren't picked.

Guess what, I wasn't picked either but that's life. I have seen enough from ZTE and the mods to know that they are doing their best to get the Oreo update ready.

I asked the question, but I have also had Oreo on my Axon 7 for a while. And I'm very content with not being in the beta, that's what custom roms are for. And it's a real question. As excited as people were, now that the beta is over, I've been around here everyday and haven't seen or heard of anyone being in a beta. Not saying that their lying, but to say that any company isn't lying is ignorant. Anything's possible. Not once did I say that they were lying, question is, who has been in the beta. No reason to give details about features, but who was in it. I haven't met a person yet out of everyone here or xda who has said that they were in it since it ended. So after that, that would lead to the question of was there a public beta. Keep in mind, there are different types. Betas can also take place in house, open source, open, closed and more.

You're not going to hear from anyone who is or has been in the Oreo Beta. They signed an NDA and cannot say anything. I have been in a couple of ZTE betas and can tell you they are real and very professional. Everyone will have to wait until Oreo is ready. At that point it will be realeased.

But now your saying right now that you took part in a past beta. Why can't anyone say that they took part in a Oreo beta since it's over? And we talking about on sites other than ZTE on top of that. What are these, Black Ops missions. But you can't blame people for thinking it didn't happen if that's the case. All I'm saying. I wasn't in the beta therefor no NDA but I have Oreo on my Axon 7, so if anyone has any questions about it, feel free to ask me.

Wow, Are you really saying this? I said I took part in former Beta's. I did not say which ones,(NDA). ZTE can do and say whatever/whenever they want concerning their products, updates ect. If anyone doesn't like it they have the option to go to another OEM. That's all I'm saying. :smile:

What makes Oreo so different than any other Android beta that people shouldn't say that they were in it? What harm comes from anyone being able to say that they took part in it. All that does is confirms that it's going on. I have multiple Galaxy S devices, Notes, HTC, LG, Motorola, ZTE and more. I have never been in a beta that I couldn't say after the fact, that I was in that beta. The only thing thats fact, is they don't want people during said alpha or beta, to talk about the beta because it's unfinished and bad thinks about it might detour others. You can't post video or pics of sed thing either. But after that, when the mainstream version is on its way, the official version is rolling out, you can talk all you want. IDK, this is weird. And like I said, we still haven't heard from anyone that has the OTA update either. Where are they? And yes, companies can say what they want regarding their products, as a customer, we can also say what we want regarding the handling of sed product.

@dnewman007 If ZTE think like you, all their customer will move away. You would make a terrible CEO (that's a joke)

Also lately there was a research that ZTE, amoung others, failed to deliver security patch, while they stated otherwise.

https://www.wired.com/story/android-phones-hide-missed-security-updates-from-you/

As a consumer, the choice remains mine, but ZTE don't act as a leader as it did before the launch of the Axon7.

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@acatrus said:
    @dnewman007 If ZTE think like you, all their customer will move away. You would make a terrible CEO (that's a joke)

Also lately there was a research that ZTE, amoung others, failed to deliver security patch, while they stated otherwise.

https://www.wired.com/story/android-phones-hide-missed-security-updates-from-you/

As a consumer, the choice remains mine, but ZTE don't act as a leader as it did before the launch of the Axon7.

I have heard such things also.

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:

Maybe it's because the beta isn't over. Who says that it's over? Until it's officially over you won't see anyone saying that they were a part of the beta. After the beta officially ends it's fine and dandy to say you were a part of it because the NDA is no longer valid. Who has told you that the beta is over? If it's anyone other than ZTE I wouldn't be so sure.

Those are my suspicions, but ZTE are the ones who said that the OTA is rolling out in April.

edited April 14, 2018 1:18PM

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:

Maybe it's because the beta isn't over. Who says that it's over? Until it's officially over you won't see anyone saying that they were a part of the beta. After the beta officially ends it's fine and dandy to say you were a part of it because the NDA is no longer valid. Who has told you that the beta is over? If it's anyone other than ZTE I wouldn't be so sure.

Those are my suspicions, but ZTE are the ones who said that the OTA is rolling out in April.

Until you hear from ZTE that the beta is officially over and the official Oreo update is rolling out then I wouldn't just assume that the beta is over. If you have been in betas before then you know that a certain date is rarely ever met. April turns into May and so on. They could've ran into a problem that takes extra time to solve. A problem they weren't expecting could've popped up. There's tons of things that can hold up a beta. Plus, once the beta is over it doesn't mean the official build will start rolling out immediately. I have participated in one of their past betas on this very device and I can assure you that there is a beta going on. They aren't going to recruit for a fake beta. What would be the point? I didn't make the cut for the Oreo beta either but it is what it is. Oreo will come to the A7. We already know that. It's just a matter of time. Could be tomorrow or could be in June. Only ZTE and those in the beta know how close they are to releasing the official update and neither of them are talking. You can't blame them though. Also, it's worth noting that ZTE never said the update would arrive in April. I'm pretty sure that came from third parties.

No, ZTE made a post on there German forums, saying, the update will release in April 2018. I wouldn't make up something that they didn't say.

https://www.gsmarena.com/axon_7_oreo_update_will_arrive_in_april_next_year_zte_confirms-news-28856.php

Now if something has changed or taking longer than expected, at least say that. I've seen plenty people here wondering what's going on with the update, why not say something. Their communication is horrible. Again, no third party info, this is stated by ZTE themselves.

edited April 14, 2018 1:26PM

@sshasan said:
    @icerevolver Just for clarification, ZTE Germany's schedule has no correlation to ZTE USA's. They operate separately and the devices released in that country have different software.

I didint say it did. I'm American and I am stationed in Germany. We haven't gotten the update. That's why I pay attention to both forums. We don't have any news just like here.

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 400 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:

Until you hear from ZTE that the beta is officially over and the official Oreo update is rolling out then I wouldn't just assume that the beta is over. If you have been in betas before then you know that a certain date is rarely ever met. April turns into May and so on. They could've ran into a problem that takes extra time to solve. A problem they weren't expecting could've popped up. There's tons of things that can hold up a beta. Plus, once the beta is over it doesn't mean the official build will start rolling out immediately. I have participated in one of their past betas on this very device and I can assure you that there is a beta going on. They aren't going to recruit for a fake beta. What would be the point? I didn't make the cut for the Oreo beta either but it is what it is. Oreo will come to the A7. We already know that. It's just a matter of time. Could be tomorrow or could be in June. Only ZTE and those in the beta know how close they are to releasing the official update and neither of them are talking. You can't blame them though. Also, it's worth noting that ZTE never said the update would arrive in April. I'm pretty sure that came from third parties.

No, ZTE made a on there German forums, saying, the update will release in April 2018. I wouldn't make up something that they didn't say.

axon_7_oreo_update_will_arrive_in_april_next_year_zte_confirms-amp-28856.php

Copy and paste, that's a link.

Now if something has changed or taking longer than expected, at least say that. I've seen plenty people here wondering what's going on with the update, why not say something. Their communication is horrible. Again, no third party info, this is stated by ZTE themselves.

ZTE usually posts whenever there's a new version available for the phone. I think it's safe to assume no new update for the North American version

I think the whole point here is the lack of communication.

No one knows anything, we hear different story about things. We know the US government dislike ZTE, know we know that ZTE may have missed some security patch along the way.

Lack of communication, this is what happens.

And I'm not trying to "bash" ZTE, on the contrary I really like my Axon7, and I want to know more on the 9, but I'm beginning to like faith.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 299 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've brought misleading security patches to ZTE's attention months ago back in 2017 and was told that even if the patch is for say June but you're in May, that it covers June too. It made no sense to me then and still doesn't now. This recent stuff about OEMs lying about patches only solidifies my concerns even more

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,590 admin

@freeza

A May 5th security patch would cover up to May 5th and nothing else. It doesn’t cover the rest of the month of May (just an example).

If anyone else misspoke, it may have just been that.

• Atxhardrocker23Atxhardrocker23 United StatesPosts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I definitely if I ever have.. never ment to push anyones buttons lol...but I wanted to stay completely stock..I came from the Nexus 6p to the axon 7...just wanted to help test it and get early access..I can wait for the OTA.. didn't wanna unlock the bootloader and all that if I knew I could have it soon.. either way...8.0 was a big reason I got the axon 7...I LOVE the axon 7..the 9 is definitely on my mind too..but I also wanna make sure ZTE is gonna be actively developing for their phones.. either way..I'll be here..no since in everyone aruging tho.

@Atxhardrocker23 said:
    Well I definitely if I ever have.. never ment to push anyones buttons lol...but I wanted to stay completely stock..I came from the Nexus 6p to the axon 7...just wanted to help test it and get early access..I can wait for the OTA.. didn't wanna unlock the bootloader and all that if I knew I could have it soon.. either way...8.0 was a big reason I got the axon 7...I LOVE the axon 7..the 9 is definitely on my mind too..but I also wanna make sure ZTE is gonna be actively developing for their phones.. either way..I'll be here..no since in everyone aruging tho.> @westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:

No, ZTE made a post on there German forums, saying, the update will release in April 2018. I wouldn't make up something that they didn't say.

https://www.gsmarena.com/axon_7_oreo_update_will_arrive_in_april_next_year_zte_confirms-news-28856.php

ZTE Germany may have stated that but it's still different because we're in America. Even if you are stationed in Germany I assume you still have the American model of the A7? German software will have nothing to do with American software so ZTE Germany saying the Oreo release will be in April means nothing for us in the States. If ZTE USA said the Oreo release would be in April I never saw it. I would keep an eye out on ZTE America not ZTE Germany.

I bought my phone here when I was stationed here and purchased a second one thats "American" so to speak, when I came home on leave. In the field your likely to break smartphones easily so it's always nice o have a backup for anyone wondering why I have two. But short to say, I keep an eye on both forums becasue of this. I put a link in the last post I quoted to the article that ZTE posted. Not to mention I was active at the time they posted it so saw it first hand. Sidenote, they didn't state that April was the date to the German community for German (Europeans) I should say. They are just more active on those forums than America. So what was stated is the release for Oreo on Axon devices is in April. And the post is old, not recent. I don't why they don't seem to update the American forums or are not as active on the American forums as they are on the german forums. But yeah, their communications what's going on is just not good. It would be very nice to hear a confirmation either way. Just to say "hey, it's still coming in April, no specific day" or "there is more work to do and there has been hiccups so we are pushing the expected time frame back a month, or two" whatever, anything is always better than nothing.

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:
    Well I definitely if I ever have.. never ment to push anyones buttons lol...but I wanted to stay completely stock..I came from the Nexus 6p to the axon 7...just wanted to help test it and get early access..I can wait for the OTA.. didn't wanna unlock the bootloader and all that if I knew I could have it soon.. either way...8.0 was a big reason I got the axon 7...I LOVE the axon 7..the 9 is definitely on my mind too..but I also wanna make sure ZTE is gonna be actively developing for their phones.. either way..I'll be here..no since in everyone aruging tho.> @westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@westside80 said:

@icerevolver said:

@kountry83 said:

Yup and others too.

@dnewman007 said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@chuckbort said:

@icerevolver said:

@Atxhardrocker23 said:

ZTE Germany may have stated that but it's still different because we're in America. Even if you are stationed in Germany I assume you still have the American model of the A7? German software will have nothing to do with American software so ZTE Germany saying the Oreo release will be in April means nothing for us in the States. If ZTE USA said the Oreo release would be in April I never saw it. I would keep an eye out on ZTE America not ZTE Germany.

I bought my phone here when I was stationed here and purchased a second one thats "American" so to speak, when I came home on leave. In the field your likely to break smartphones easily so it's always nice o have a backup for anyone wondering why I have two. But short to say, I keep an eye on both forums becasue of this. I put a link in the last post I quoted to the article that ZTE posted. Not to mention I was active at the time they posted it so saw it first hand. Sidenote, they didn't state that April was the date to the German community for German (Europeans) I should say. They are just more active on those forums than America. So what was stated is the release for Oreo on Axon devices is in April. And the post is old, not recent. I don't why they don't seem to update the American forums or are not as active on the American forums as they are on the german forums. But yeah, their communications what's going on is just not good. It would be very nice to hear a confirmation either way. Just to say "hey, it's still coming in April, no specific day" or "there is more work to do and there has been hiccups so we are pushing the expected time frame back a month, or two" whatever, anything is always better than nothing.

@Atxhardrocker23 said:
    Well I definitely if I ever have.. never ment to push anyones buttons lol...but I wanted to stay completely stock..I came from the Nexus 6p to the axon 7...just wanted to help test it and get early access..I can wait for the OTA.. didn't wanna unlock the bootloader and all that if I knew I could have it soon.. either way...8.0 was a big reason I got the axon 7...I LOVE the axon 7..the 9 is definitely on my mind too..but I also wanna make sure ZTE is gonna be actively developing for their phones.. either way..I'll be here..no since in everyone aruging tho.

Not sure what the arguing was for. All we did was make a valid observation and a statement and plenty poll workers came out the wood works. But I'll take it since this is as active as the community has been in some time. Lol facts

• caelironstaffcaelironstaff USAPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

For gods sake people, not everyone applicant gets in on betas. If it was that wide open, it would be a public release. Also, there are 15 days left this month. If they said April, that doesn't necessarily mean 12:01am on the 1st, it means on one of the 30 days, unless they specified a certain date, which they did not. As pointed out by another here, that was from Germany and the US release may be different. Stop the arguing.

I think the argument is not about the BETA test itself, but about the lack of communication recently from ZTE, about the evolution of the update and about the future of the company here in America, especially when there is a witch hunt from the USA and some information about how patch in the past may have been skipped.

Probably all those statement are false and ZTE is on schedule, but we don't hear much. Even this forum has never been so silent.

Also ZTE Community is now worldwide, so why something from Germany wouldn't be valid...

• fuzz_33594fuzz_33594 Valrico, FL, USAPosts: 80 ✭✭✭✭✭

As has been mentioned several times, the underlying issue is communication.

ZTE built a really good phone when it made the Axon 7. It developed some following in the development community - despite the way it handled the bootloader and fastboot. I am holding off upgrading until the Axon 9 is released, and am a likely buyer if it retains front-facing speakers, 3.5mm jack, and doesn't screw around with unlocking the bootloader and using fastboot.

That said, a simple statement in the community site regarding the status of the Oreo update would eliminate most of the angst found in this thread. Two-way communication really does eliminate/solve a lot of issues.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 698 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 15, 2018 7:14PM

I'm sure that #ZTE will make a statement when the time is right for them as a company, not for Joe Public. However communication can always improve even with the best of companies. But then again what do I know lol😆 #ZTEFam #ZTELife

No one wants them to rush things.

I will speak for myself, I would like ZTE to communicate once in a while on update, have they found a bug, so on.

• fuzz_33594fuzz_33594 Valrico, FL, USAPosts: 80 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 16, 2018 12:19PM

This can't be good: https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-ban-855747/

Maybe that is the reason we haven't heard anything from ZTE about the 9 or Oreo - they are otherwise engaged.

• Atxhardrocker23Atxhardrocker23 United StatesPosts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fuzz_33594 said:
    This can't be good: https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-ban-855747/

Maybe that is the reason we haven't heard anything from ZTE about the 9 or Oreo - they are otherwise engaged.

Was thinking that was the reason...either way I moved on..when the OTA is released I'll head back to stock..the axon 9 is still on my mind..if the USA let's them sell it here.