The Axon 7 is a tough act to follow!

erichopeerichope San Francisco, CA, USAPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 13, 2018 3:38PM in Axon

I love my Axon 7. It was a truly amazing, and game-changing device. I had been eagerly awaiting its sequel: the Axon 9. Sadly, amidst all this recent controversy, I've had to consider other options. I happened upon a very good deal on the Samsung Galaxy S9+ with AT&T via Best Buy, so I jumped on it (picked it up yesterday). As we all know, Samsung is the leader in Android phones, but this is the first time I've ever had one. It's a nice phone, but I've got to tell you: Holding them side-by-side, I STILL prefer the Axon 7. ZTE really knocked it out of the park with the Axon 7! It is a tough act to follow! The screen is Beautiful, and not inexplicably curved, like the S9+ (how I wish they did a flat-screened version of it!), and software-wise, the Axon 7 is capable of many of the same things. It's amazing that a $400 phone from 2016 is holding its own against a 2018 flagship that costs more than double the price! Best phone I've ever owned, period. It's a damn shame we won't (likely) see the Axon 9. It had the potential to be a really great device. If it manages to come out, I will still be checking it out. Until then, however, I guess I'll just have to see how things go with this S9+.

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have not given up hope on ZTE coming out with the SO. My fingers are crossed :wink:

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I fully agree what you said. I have experience both devices and can say that you really get a lot of bang for bucks with A7. Axon 7 is really a great device that offers very good in hand feels and it's solid build with metal body (unlike GS9's glass back, which I absolutely hate:)). I also think curve screen is not really that useful on GS9. ZTE really has improved quite a lot with the software with every iteration of updates since the A7 first comes to the market. Hardware-wise it is almost perfect except the camera that needs improving.

I also still have hope that ZTE will come back bigger than ever with Axon 9 as well.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes the Axon 7 is actually a really good phone and the device is still running strong today.

I still have hope like @samsamha stated above, I believe that ZTE will come through this better than ever.

• erichopeerichope San Francisco, CA, USAPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:
    I have not given up hope on ZTE coming out with the SO. My fingers are crossed :wink:

I'm sorry: What's the "SO"?

• bbrannonbbrannon Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

I went from a OnePlus One to the Axon 7. Loved them both but they were both always almost OK. In the end I had GPS issues I couldn't resolve with the Axon the were important to my use case. bought an S8 which immediately solved everything. Just took advantage of the $350 trade in for the S8 to the S9 and couldn't be happier. If you need your phone to just work more than you need a few hundred bucks and your phone as a hobby then finally letting go and moving on feels pretty good in the end.

• RobboWRobboW AustraliaPosts: 10 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be more inclined to get another Huawei or an Honor. I wouldn't buy a Samsung.
    My A7 is working well so it's not even a consideration at present.
    I do hope ZTE survive and still release the Axon 9.

• sedp23sedp23 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

The Asus Zenfone 5z seems to be the next logical phone. Sd 845, a much better camera, louder stereo speakers, ai charging, ai camera... This will be my next phone

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RobboW said:
    I'd be more inclined to get another Huawei or an Honor. I wouldn't buy a Samsung.

Be careful. Huawei is facing government scrutiny as well

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 430 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sedp23 said:
    The Asus Zenfone 5z seems to be the next logical phone. Sd 845, a much better camera, louder stereo speakers, ai charging, ai camera... This will be my next phone

Too bad it has a notch. That is a huge turn off to me.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,251 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@erichope said:

@dnewman007 said:

I'm sorry: What's the "SO"?

I'm not sure why I typed SO, I meant to say A9. Maybe the auto correct took over, lol.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,128 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:

@RobboW said:

Be careful. Huawei is facing government scrutiny as well

The US government may just be using ZTE as a warning to Huawei. ZTE is getting hit by all angle here. 1. They knowing did do things incorrectly. 2. Being used as a bargaining chip for trade negotiations between US and China. 3. US wants to slow the China Tech wave and stop alleged stealing opf patents and trademarks 4. US using ZTE as a warning to Huawei

The timing for ZTE couldn't have been any worse.

• johnorionjohnorion New YorkPosts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE has proven to be an unreliable company that will outright lie to its customers and that was even before the government stuff... sorry .. ZTE wont recover there wont be a ZTE axon 9 or anything at least in the US... they are just treading water in the US and soon will go under ... I love my axon .. I will continue to use it .. of course only with the latest "outside devs" that actually made the Axon 7 phone a phone worth using ... but unfortunately ... ZTE has screwed that one up too .. the devs decided to drop support for Axon7 for the lower quality POS One plus.

ZTE is DEAD.

• ntotrrntotrr Posts: 40 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2018 6:46PM

Considering that at the time of the release of the Axon 7, the Galaxy S7 was the top Samsung phone, other than the camera, the Axon 7 was an equal in just about every spec and it only cost $400.00. Yes, it will be a tough act to follow- if they ever get a chance to follow-up with a replacement.