ZTE Blade Z Max (Z982) RAM issues

ThatBasicN1ThatBasicN1 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭

So I've owned my Blade Z Max since about September of 2017. It's been working fine, with a bit of a slow down here and there. Lately, I've noticed (in Settings) that 1.6GB out of 1.8GB of RAM are always used up. I've restarted the phone many times and I've tried turning it off at night to charge faster and clear any temp files. Honestly, I've had no luck with speeding up the phone. Is the RAM always being used up a known issue by ZTE and they are choosing to ignore it? Or was I ripped off by MetroPCS?
Thanks!

Comments

• saybiasaybia United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

I'm usually between 1.5 and 1.6 myself and the phone runs fine. Do you think you might have some app running in the background thats slowing it all down? I remember that the yahoo app used to do that to my phone. Do you have any additional storage on the phone? I installed a Samsung 128 GB card. The phone runs great. Only once in a great while, maybe after two weeks, do I shut it down to clear up anything.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018 8:39AM

@ThatBasicN1 said:
    So I've owned my Blade Z Max since about September of 2017. It's been working fine, with a bit of a slow down here and there. Lately, I've noticed (in Settings) that 1.6GB out of 1.8GB of RAM are always used up. I've restarted the phone many times and I've tried turning it off at night to charge faster and clear any temp files. Honestly, I've had no luck with speeding up the phone. Is the RAM always being used up a known issue by ZTE and they are choosing to ignore it? Or was I ripped off by MetroPCS?
    Thanks!

Can I ask which build you are currently running? B20 was just released and it appears RAM management was improved quite a bit. Thanks!

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018 11:28AM

The settings menu RAM details does not offer details on realtime usage, instead it details average use while you are actively using various apps on the device.

Under B20, the device uses about 1GB of RAM at startup, though it can further unload assets to free up even more RAM, since with android, a portion of the memory used by the system, is cached data.

One other thing to consider, is the apps you have installed. Some applications will add startup items unnecessarily.

For example, after installing a few random apps, my blade Z max uses a little over 1GB of RAM at startup, with all of the increase going to applications which loads parts of them self into RAM at startup.

Install enough of them and you will end up with sluggish performance and frequent unloading of apps when you are trying to multitask.

Most applications have no need to add any startup items, but some of them do because the developer feels that they might at some point want to send out a push notification in the future when they develop a new app, thus you end up with their current app eating up resources in the background at all times, for the small chance that years later he or she will release something new and want to notify you about it through a push notification.

It is idiotic decisions like that which has lead to resource management to be such a huge issue with android in general, and why you see a push to go to 6-8GB of RAM. Without root access, you do not have much control over the device startup, yet apps can readily control their own startup behavior, and many developers choose to add things to the startup simply because they can, even if they have no practical need for it yet.

Here is just a small section of the startup on my device. There are many more

Overall, the memory management that ZTE has implemented, especially with B20, tries to keep a decent amount of memory available for foreground apps, though it can still face challenges if dealing with resource hogging background apps that run automatically.

This is also part of the reason why even with high end devices, you will see people complain about their flagship Galaxy device slowing over time and then they need to factory reset it, it is mainly due to software junk that builds up over time to a point where memory and NAND IOs are tied up constantly loading and unloading things, and the device just ends up feeling slower.

Beyond that, also understand that android is designed to use more of your RAM during normal usage as one of the ways they boost performance, is by using the NAND as little as possible, this means that it will cache as much as possible during normal use, and then dump older cached entries as needed. slowdowns happen when more of that memory use is from non-cached data like 50 different apps all loading their own services to listen for push notificatons, or something else that is wasteful.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018 3:19PM

Sadly a startup manager will not work since in order to influence the startup behavior of another app, you need root access. Without that, the security that is part of the android OS, prevents that from happening.

The Axon 7 offers some control app startup since ZTE baked one into their ROM, but even that does not work as reliably (will not keep the startup on some apps disabled) as proper startup control on a rooted ROM, as that is the only way to really reliable force an app to not run at startup and prevent it from reactivating its startup items.

• creativetrendscreativetrends United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

Can I ask which build you are currently running? B20 was just released and it appears RAM management was improved quite a bit. Thanks!

Where exactly has RAM management been improved? I'm on B20 and RAM management seems to be worse than before.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,692 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@creativetrends said:

@hollap said:

Where exactly has RAM management been improved? I'm on B20 and RAM management seems to be worse than before.

Not certain what exact changes were all implemented but I can agree that the RAM Management is a lot better on B20!!

The device is keeping up with switching between apps a lot better...... granted that 2GB is not a lot a RAM but the B20 build seems to have increased the performance and also enabled aps to stay open in the background a little better.

@coldheat06 said:

@creativetrends said:

@hollap said:

Not certain what exact changes were all implemented but I can agree that the RAM Management is a lot better on B20!!

The device is keeping up with switching between apps a lot better...... granted that 2GB is not a lot a RAM but the B20 build seems to have increased the performance and also enabled aps to stay open in the background a little better.

Where? This is not the case at all from what I see. It's not an issue with it having only 2GBs of RAM either. There is no reason that if I'm in Gmail and go to my home screen, return to Gmail, that Gmail should be reloaded. Especially since Gmail is the only app open at the time. ZTE is throttling RAM for zero reason.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,211 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@creativetrends said:

@coldheat06 said:

@creativetrends said:

@hollap said:

Where? This is not the case at all from what I see. It's not an issue with it having only 2GBs of RAM either. There is no reason that if I'm in Gmail and go to my home screen, return to Gmail, that Gmail should be reloaded. Especially since Gmail is the only app open at the time. ZTE is throttling RAM for zero reason.

I agree with @coldheat06 B20 is much better at app closures and memory management than B19, and there are fewer complaints about it on the community as well. I'm not saying it's perfect, 2GB is 2GB. But in my opinion my B20 build is faster and experiences less force closes than B19 did.

@hollap said:

@creativetrends said:

@coldheat06 said:

@creativetrends said:

@hollap said:

I agree with @coldheat06 B20 is much better at app closures and memory management than B19, and there are fewer complaints about it on the community as well. I'm not saying it's perfect, 2GB is 2GB. But in my opinion my B20 build is faster and experiences less force closes than B19 did.

After going into safe mode and letting my device stay idle for more than 24 hours RAM management is w

@jimlloyd40 said:

@creativetrends said:

@hollap said:

@creativetrends said:

@coldheat06 said:

@creativetrends said:

@hollap said:

After going into safe mode and letting my device stay idle for more than 24 hours RAM management is w

@creativetrends what is "w"?

My response was saved as a draft. The "w" meant "working as it should". But, things have changed and I need to switch to safe mode again.

Not sure why ZTE can't release a software update to stop throttling RAM. It's just a simple change in the build.prop. As a dev it's so frustrating testing apps on this device with the reload/RAM management issues. As a user I shouldn't have to switch to safe mode to get things working as they should.

• laecianlaecian TexasPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

@creativetrends that's exactly what I've been saying on these forums for a minute. The phone is immensely more usable in safe mode so the implication is that a system app or two is causing battery drain, ram issues, and sometimes overheating. It sounds like the phone is being overworked by something in the system like a drain or a leak in the software.

@laecian said:
    @creativetrends that's exactly what I've been saying on these forums for a minute. The phone is immensely more usable in safe mode so the implication is that a system app or two is causing battery drain, ram issues, and sometimes overheating. It sounds like the phone is being overworked by something in the system like a drain or a leak in the software.

There's a leak in the software for sure. I've noticed this device checking WiFi calling every few secs and other memory leak error issues within ZTE's battery management system app.

• Andrew_NAndrew_N United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭

So what was the solution? I am having the same issue and am getting ready to just buy an LG phone because of it.

@Andrew_N said:
    So what was the solution? I am having the same issue and am getting ready to just buy an LG phone because of it.

You're better off getting a new device, unless you want to continually boot into Safemode to fix the RAM issues for a few hours, only for the issues to return.