ZTE Quartz getting update to Oreo, says Digital Trends

DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of CeremoniesUnited StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google has revealed which Android Wear smartwatches will be receiving an update to bring them onto Android 8.0 Oreo.

What's new in this update?

The Android Wear Oreo update isn’t huge — it’s certainly nowhere near the level that you’ll see on a mobile Android 8.0 Oreo update. Instead, this update adds a few quality-of-life updates, including the ability to set vibration strength, set a lock on tap-to-wake while out in wet weather conditions, support for more countries and languages, and a handful of changes that should improve battery life.

Instead, what you’re seeing with this update is more likely to be a pledge for continued support for your device. Android Wear 2.0 was always based on Android 7.0 Nougat, and while the change over to Oreo isn’t anywhere near as big a change as we saw between 1.5 and 2.0, it does make it more likely that the supported devices will continue to be supported in at least the next few updates.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/android-wear-oreo-update/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, few other sites are passing around that same list. My Huawei Watch 2 is on the list as well.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I was really glad to see the Quartz on the list and that we'll be getting Oreo.

• WaylanderWaylander United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

Has anyone gotten the Android 8.0 update? I'm still on 7.1.1 and after multiple factory resets I'm still on 7.1.1

I know they already started pushing it out to models listed. I have 8.0 on my Huawei Watch 2, with March security patch.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Waylander said:
    Has anyone gotten the Android 8.0 update? I'm still on 7.1.1 and after multiple factory resets I'm still on 7.1.1

not yet on the Quartz. No need to factory reset your device as the update will be OTA once it got pushed out and it should be automatically downloaded and install whenever it is available.

• viper43viper43 Tampa,FloridaPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭

It's been 5 months since the announcement of the Oreo update for the Quartz. Come on ZTE!!!

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@viper43 said:
    It's been 5 months since the announcement of the Oreo update for the Quartz. Come on ZTE!!!

I doubt it's happening as long as the ban on ZTE doing business with US companies remains active.

• viper43viper43 Tampa,FloridaPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭

The ban has been lifted (big fine) so let's go ZTE, please give us the 8.0 Oreo update!!

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 5, 2018 7:09PM

@viper43 said:
    The ban has been lifted (big fine) so let's go ZTE, please give us the 8.0 Oreo update!!

Well it's a T-Mobile contracted device, so it's up to Tmo to have ZTE do the update.

@viper43 said:

It's not lifted yet though so still no go at this time

• gottagogottago Posts: 25 ✭✭✭✭✭

Didn't they actually shut down ops? If so, they will definitely require ramp up time, don't you think? I wonder how many US employees found new jobs since the shut down. ZTE probably won't be back full force for 3-4 months once finalized.