February Security Patch Hits Blade V8 Pro

145679

Comments

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

    @Ock1 said:
    Been using my updated V8 for about a week with Wifi turned off and battery life is as good as it was before the update. I know we shouldn't have to do this but it seems to be the only solution for now if ya need the extended battery life.

    sadly i bought the phone specifically to be a wifi phone. so this energy drain is wrecking me

  • DarskyDarsky MNPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

    @Ock1 said:
    Been using my updated V8 for about a week with Wifi turned off and battery life is as good as it was before the update. I know we shouldn't have to do this but it seems to be the only solution for now if ya need the extended battery life.

    I did this a couple days ago and my battery life is back to normal. Huge difference! I'm becoming increasingly doubtful that we will ever get a fix for this, since they've gone silent for almost 3 weeks on the update that was supposed to be just a few days away, combined with the fact that they've been effectively shut down by the US. And to think I'm one of the lucky ones who can at least still use my phone. I don't know why they couldn't at least roll back to the previous update since this one was such a giant step backwards.

  • Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I wonder if it's difficult for a company to send out an update that eliminates the previous update????

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @sam25 said:
    What could be the best way to request a refund for the purchase price of this phone? It is still within 1 year warranty. Non working phone for a month due to an update is not acceptable. One of the posts says that ZTE received a affected phone from community members for testing, but there is no update on results of this test. Although moderators have confirmed that there will be a fix, there is no update. No Sim Card message remains, GPS is not working and the battery drains out rapidly. So all the problems are still there. All of this started after 4th of April update. ZTE Moderators - kindly provide an update.

    How long ago did you buy the phone? Did you use a credit card? Most credit cards have extra buyer's protection and will refund your money if you don't get anywhere with the manufacturer or seller.

  • sam25sam25 United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭

    @ram1220 said:

    @sam25 said:
    What could be the best way to request a refund for the purchase price of this phone? It is still within 1 year warranty. Non working phone for a month due to an update is not acceptable. One of the posts says that ZTE received a affected phone from community members for testing, but there is no update on results of this test. Although moderators have confirmed that there will be a fix, there is no update. No Sim Card message remains, GPS is not working and the battery drains out rapidly. So all the problems are still there. All of this started after 4th of April update. ZTE Moderators - kindly provide an update.

    How long ago did you buy the phone? Did you use a credit card? Most credit cards have extra buyer's protection and will refund your money if you don't get anywhere with the manufacturer or seller.

    Nov 2017 with Discover Card

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

    has anyone found a way to fix the wifi destructive power drain yet?

    im tired of having to charge my phone every 10 hours. i literally havent used my phone at all in this 10 hours time. no app not even the screen has used any of the energy. its just pure wifi killing it and its literally about to make me kill myself if i have to charge my phone one more time. not even joking

  • DarskyDarsky MNPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

    @tjhall1000 said:
    has anyone found a way to fix the wifi destructive power drain yet?!

    Until (and if) ZTE fixes the update, the only solution seems to be to turn off wifi when not using it. The battery life does go back to normal with wifi off, but it's obviously not a good solution for everyone. Luckily I'm on an unlimited data plan, so it's more of an inconvenience than a deal breaker for me.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @sam25 said:

    @ram1220 said:

    @sam25 said:
    What could be the best way to request a refund for the purchase price of this phone? It is still within 1 year warranty. Non working phone for a month due to an update is not acceptable. One of the posts says that ZTE received a affected phone from community members for testing, but there is no update on results of this test. Although moderators have confirmed that there will be a fix, there is no update. No Sim Card message remains, GPS is not working and the battery drains out rapidly. So all the problems are still there. All of this started after 4th of April update. ZTE Moderators - kindly provide an update.

    How long ago did you buy the phone? Did you use a credit card? Most credit cards have extra buyer's protection and will refund your money if you don't get anywhere with the manufacturer or seller.

    Nov 2017 with Discover Card

    I would call Discover and see if they will refund your money or reverse the charges based on the circumstances.

  • d4bn3yd4bn3y United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Meh. This phone is dead. This thread is dead. This company is dead.

    EVEN IF they get **** figured out, support for this device is long gone.

  • coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @d4bn3y said:

    Meh. This phone is dead. This thread is dead. This company is dead.

    EVEN IF they get **** figured out, support for this device is long gone.

    This is still a good device, especially if a developer sees interest in it and starts making Custom ROMs for it.

  • d4bn3yd4bn3y United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coldheat06 said:

    @d4bn3y said:

    Meh. This phone is dead. This thread is dead. This company is dead.

    EVEN IF they get **** figured out, support for this device is long gone.

    This is still a good device, especially if a developer sees interest in it and starts making Custom ROMs for it.

    Statistically the phone is amazing. But it's already over a year old. If the boooader hasn't already been unlocked, it most likely isn't going to happen. There are too many devices, and new ones constantly in development.

    This is a pretty specific, niche device, that will.more than likely never receive any more support. Regardless if it's from 1st or 3rd parties.

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

    @d4bn3y said:

    @coldheat06 said:

    @d4bn3y said:

    Meh. This phone is dead. This thread is dead. This company is dead.

    EVEN IF they get **** figured out, support for this device is long gone.

    This is still a good device, especially if a developer sees interest in it and starts making Custom ROMs for it.

    Statistically the phone is amazing. But it's already over a year old. If the boooader hasn't already been unlocked, it most likely isn't going to happen. There are too many devices, and new ones constantly in development.

    This is a pretty specific, niche device, that will.more than likely never receive any more support. Regardless if it's from 1st or 3rd parties.

    why did they make this explosive update then if the phones obsolete?

    this phone was amazing till that update. i just ant the wifi battery drain to be fixed so bad

  • digiduck_2582digiduck_2582 United StatesPosts: 29 ✭✭✭✭

    Has anyone else received a system update notification? Got one about a hour ago 3:05 am central time Usa. I have all the permissions denied for the system update app. So no forced install. Just curious if anyone else got it.

  • Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Well, it looks like ZTE will be kickin again real soon but I gotta wonder if they'll come back and take a look at fixing the V8-Pro. I'd rather not have to leave Wifi turned off to get the V8's awesome battery life.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Ock1 said:
    Well, it looks like ZTE will be kickin again real soon but I gotta wonder if they'll come back and take a look at fixing the V8-Pro. I'd rather not have to leave Wifi turned off to get the V8's awesome battery life.

    I don't know about soon. But wheels are in motion it does seem if something else doesn't come up.

  • Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't think we'll ever see a fix for the WiFi battery issue so I just slid my Cricket sim in the non-updated V8 I had laying around. It really wasn't a big deal keeping WiFi turned off on my updated V8 but now I don't have to mess with it. I did pick up a Moto G5 Plus but feel the V8 puts it to shame in almost every way.

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

    i have nothing left to say other then im depressed about this whole thing still. ive never bought a phone before. this was my first time. and it was amazing first 2 months. now its nothing but stress and depression. i regret buying it now. v__v

    it will be another 10 years before i can buy a new phone...so RIP me

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @tjhall1000 said:
    i have nothing left to say other then im depressed about this whole thing still. ive never bought a phone before. this was my first time. and it was amazing first 2 months. now its nothing but stress and depression. i regret buying it now. v__v

    it will be another 10 years before i can buy a new phone...so RIP me

    10 years really? You thought even if they had pushed out a better update, this phone would last for 10 years?

  • hazaredfyhazaredfy MalaysiaPosts: 3 ✭✭✭

    @sshasan said:
    A New Security Patch Is Now Available For The Blade V8 Pro

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 1, 2018 1:41PM

    @hazaredfy said:

    @sshasan said:
    A New Security Patch Is Now Available For The Blade V8 Pro

    i mean that would be great, but even if i go to system update on my phone it just always tells me network unavailable, after spinning for 5 minutes

    but yes i would expect a good 10 years out of a phone. my last phone "droid razr" lasted a good 7 years before blowing up. then i got this one

  • d4bn3yd4bn3y United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @tjhall1000 said:

    @hazaredfy said:

    @sshasan said:
    A New Security Patch Is Now Available For The Blade V8 Pro

    i mean that would be great, but even if i go to system update on my phone it just always tells me network unavailable, after spinning for 5 minutes

    >

    Samesies :(

  • tjhall1000tjhall1000 United StatesPosts: 14 ✭✭✭✭

    @hazaredfy said:

    @sshasan said:
    A New Security Patch Is Now Available For The Blade V8 Pro

    so like, how do i get the update and you are saying it fixes the battery drain?

  • DarskyDarsky MNPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭

    @tjhall1000 said:

    @hazaredfy said:

    @sshasan said:
    A New Security Patch Is Now Available For The Blade V8 Pro

    so like, how do i get the update and you are saying it fixes the battery drain?

    There is no new update. He was just quoting an announcement from a previous update for some reason. Unless ZTE gets the legal decision reversed, I'm pretty sure we're stuck with what we've got at this point.

  • InsomniumInsomnium RussiaPosts: 1 ✭✭
    edited June 11, 2018 6:01AM

    Deleted

  • xJagoxJago United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 11:37AM

    Hello, upon a user telling me about this April blade V8 pro bad update on another Android forum I decided to search and come here. I'll try to keep it short, I'm currently on a cheap budget Moto E4 and it's ok but I'd love something with more oompth in the specs department and am trying to do it as cheaply as possible. I came across this ZTE Blade V8 Pro phone that released last year and besides it being on the older Android 6.0 OS it seems better spec wise than many phones double or triple it's price point even today....add in a nearly vanilla Android or light skin coupled with dual cams, 625 octa core CPU, and 3gb ram, type C, NFC, good battery, 1080 5.5 screen and I was drooling seeing how cheap it is brand new...then I came across this bad news of an update deleting it's IMEI number and making the battery life horrible....? It's honestly depressing me, I finally found an amazing quality phone cheaply and an update screws it up badly according to users.... If I bought one today can I turn off any updates and I'd be ok? Some users said this update has been pulled so it seems like if I bought a new one now I'd be safe. I've been through a bunch of budget phones over the years but this one "is the one that got away" it seems like (if anybody has ever heard that phrase used)

  • Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2018 1:12PM

    @xJago said:
    Hello, upon a user telling me about this April blade V8 pro bad update on another Android forum I decided to search and come here. I'll try to keep it short, I'm currently on a cheap budget Moto E4 and it's ok but I'd love something with more oompth in the specs department and am trying to do it as cheaply as possible. I came across this ZTE Blade V8 Pro phone that released last year and besides it being on the older Android 6.0 OS it seems better spec wise than many phones double or triple it's price point even today....add in a nearly vanilla Android or light skin coupled with dual cams, 625 octa core CPU, and 3gb ram, type C, NFC, good battery, 1080 5.5 screen and I was drooling seeing how cheap it is brand new...then I came across this bad news of an update deleting it's IMEI number and making the battery life horrible....? It's honestly depressing me, I finally found an amazing quality phone cheaply and an update screws it up badly according to users.... If I bought one today can I turn off any updates and I'd be ok? Some users said this update has been pulled so it seems like if I bought a new one now I'd be safe. I've been through a bunch of budget phones over the years but this one "is the one that got away" it seems like (if anybody has ever heard that phrase used)

    If you don't mind staying on Android 6 I wouldn't hesitate to grab a brand new V8 Pro. It really is a fantastic phone for it's price!!!! Just make sure you get a brand new sealed unit so it doesn't have the Feb. security patch. I have a V8 that I wouldn't let update and the last patch was Oct. 1st 2017. The only issue I had with my V8 that DID update to the Feb. patch was a major decline in battery life with WiFi enabled. If I kept WiFi turned off it was perfect with crazy good battery life. If you can find a new V8 for $100.00 or less it's still a great deal.

  • xJagoxJago United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭

    Thx for your response, upon my first post I actually went back and read this whole topic, so weird that some weren't badly affected by the patch before it was pulled. The totally unaffected ones seemed to be using tmobile sims....shame ZTE said a fix was coming then never anymore replies. This genuinely seems like a good device. I used a low end Samsung phone on Android 6 for awhile and didn't mind it so the light skin and CPU oompth and extra ram over my current Moto E4 seems like it'd be nice. I actually sold an Honor 6x, that, despite good on paper specs had a way too heavy overlay/skin on it that ended up lagging and glitching the phone out like touchwhiz has a bad reputation for doing. I just figured the better specs vs the cheap 2gb ram G5 Plus from Moto I was also considering would serve me better. This E4 is a decent cheap phone don't get me wrong but for a daily driver I'd like a bit more oompth.

  • Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

    X, I actually have all the phones you're talking about. The E4 is my favorite everyday carry phone because of it's compact size and it's ability to do everything pretty good with no quirks. The G5+ just feels awkward to me even though it is a nice phone. In my opinion the V8 is the best out of this bunch but it's big and bulky and I don't like carrying it everyday in the summer. Just got a sweet deal on a LG G6 which I'll be test driving for the next week to see if I like it.

Sign In or Register to comment.