NOW WHAT, ZTE???

dwp4youdwp4you El Paso, TX, U.S.A.Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, now that the trade ban has been resolved and ZTE has agreed to pay the US 1 billion in fines - the ban against using US made parts for your phones will go by the wayside. THIS should mean that the Axon 9 should be back on track! BUT more so, THIS should MEAN that the Axon 7's UPDATE to OREO should be implemented!!! HOW ABOUT IT, ZTE??? IS this EVER GOING TO HAPPEN?

Comments

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully ZTE will be able to react quickly and restore customer confidence

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/07/technology/zte-china-deal-ross/index.html

• GodOfPsychosGodOfPsychos GermanyPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dwp4you said:
    Okay, now that the trade ban has been resolved and ZTE has agreed to pay the US 1 billion in fines - the ban against using US made parts for your phones will go by the wayside. THIS should mean that the Axon 9 should be back on track! BUT more so, THIS should MEAN that the Axon 7's UPDATE to OREO should be implemented!!! HOW ABOUT IT, ZTE??? IS this EVER GOING TO HAPPEN?

Geez -.- Some ppl don't have any patience at all.
    First they gotta get back on track after they paid the fine and the bans are lifted.
    So chill and wait

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still have confidence inZTE.
    Just give some time!!

• dwp4youdwp4you El Paso, TX, U.S.A.Posts: 54 ✭✭✭✭

The update was SUPPOSED to be out in April - and was already out in Beta. So, WE have chilled enough! It's June already. Get it done!

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe ZTE's Oreo update might be pretty bgood because they supposedly did away to mifavor and went to a stock Android, but The difference between Oreo and Nougat is next to nothing.

I have Oreo 8.1 on my OnePlus 6 phone, I can't see ANY difference between Oreo and Nougat.

• GodOfPsychosGodOfPsychos GermanyPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 8:05AM

@dwp4you said:
    The update was SUPPOSED to be out in April - and was already out in Beta. So, WE have chilled enough! It's June already. Get it done!

Yes. And in april the US brought a 7 year ban upon ZTE! So zte couldn't do anything because they lost the google certification. Now it seems zte is on its way back into business. And until then, you gotta wait!

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dwp4you said:

They still have to pay $1 billion and replace their entire board of directors and senior management over the next 30 days. You shouldn't expect anything from them until they have confirmed compliance and regular daily operations can resume.

• jtmackjtmack Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 8, 2018 1:21PM

@hollap said:
    Let's not forget also that their whole management team needs to be replaced. That doesn't happen overnight. I presume it's very difficult for a company to bounce back after situations like this. I have confidence in ZTE but we must have some patience with this whole situation.

Patience? This company has never provided timely updates even when they were in business, and when they did it usually made things worse. What makes you think this time they'll turn over a new leaf? For me this was the last phone I'll ever buy from not just this but any Chinese based company. A tough lesson learned. I'll most likely end up getting an iPhone down the line. The most secure phone there will ever be.

• erichopeerichope San Francisco, CA, USAPosts: 32 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jtmack said:

Patience? This company has never provided timely updates even when they were in business, and when they did it usually made things worse. What makes you think this time they'll turn over a new leaf? For me this was the last phone I'll ever buy from not just this but any Chinese based company. A tough lesson learned. I'll most likely end up getting an iPhone down the line. The most secure phone there will ever be.

I don't know... Up until this whole drama, I was pretty happy with the updates I'd been getting from ZTE on my Axon 7. It's already received more updates than any Samsung out there! I've since switched, but I have a very high opinion of the Axon 7.

• RobboWRobboW AustraliaPosts: 6 ✭✭✭
    edited June 9, 2018 1:28AM

The whole replacing the board thing is a worry. It could actually ruin the company. Then again, it could also make it better but there's a lot of knowledge lost with these kinds of things. I don't expect pushing out updates for the old phone to be a huge priority but do think they will want to get the new one out to market and sell some.
    That said, I hope they do make the oreo update available soon.

• lllgurullllllgurulll Posts: 58 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just hope the servers get back online soon for updates.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭✭

With the ban lifted, I found it odd that no statement came from ZTE

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jtmack then stop using cell phones? All cellular parts (the majority anyways come from China) so before you spout nonsense about this read! Odds are you won't get an iPhone and you will still be using Android unless your an iPhone fanboy who runs his mouth about why iPhone is better! Before you say I'm an Android fanboy I use both operating systems. If you want a phone that will receive updates go for a pixel or it's kin but wait you bought the axon 7 because nice specs and the price point right? Good luck getting anything other then a used older model iPhone in the 400$ price range! Unless you use like OfferUp and letgo chances are that iPhone that you're going to pay three hundred bucks for like that iPhone 7 is going to be A. locked to a network B. Cloud locked or broken in some way or C. stolen. Now you could also get a OnePlus 5 or 6 but wait it's gonna cost 500$ to 600$ USD and it's made in China! The essential phone is 500$ but wait it's buggy with it's software so something else to complain about! Let's all not forget the iPhone fiasco about them slowing down the order iPhones with the newest update and the batteries dying faster but wait you can get mad about! My point is unless you spend a stack the phones will have issues! So buy a pixel or just wait! I bought a Moto X4 and it runs wonders but wait it's from China and you won't like that! Stop buying cheap **** if you'll complain! It's like buying a car on Craigslist and getting upset about it breaking down a year later when you bought it used and you knew that it was owned by somebody else it's not like you bought it off the lot! So you bought a $400 phone with at the time $600 specs you knew some **** was dumbed-down and they cut some features and some stuff would happen it's your own fault next time buy a pixel! The majority of us knew what we were getting into when we bought the device! Hey ZTE community!

• jazzijazzi Posts: 153 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

The frustration is understandable. However, considering the existence-threatening upheavals with which ZTE has had to contend in recent months, its a bit unrealistic that anything remotely resembling normal service will resume anytime soon.

The company will no doubt expect existing and potential device owners to have lost trust and patience so I reckon that everything conceivably possible under the circumstances is being done to restore confidence.

Hopefully a statement will be issued soon. However aside from that, I do not realistically see any drastic changes to the current state of affairs until sometime in July/August.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 433 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@erichope said:

@jtmack said:

I don't know... Up until this whole drama, I was pretty happy with the updates I'd been getting from ZTE on my Axon 7. It's already received more updates than any Samsung out there! I've since switched, but I have a very high opinion of the Axon 7.

You were fine until the Samsung comparison. I get updates monthly on my phone. Often it's just the security update, but that's really all I need.

• klevklev Posts: 103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova said:

@erichope said:

@jtmack said:

You were fine until the Samsung comparison. I get updates monthly on my phone. Often it's just the security update, but that's really all I need.

I have been on LG and HTC before, Id say that ZTE is doing a much better job with updates. Im hoping once the recent issue is cleared up, they should be back on routine. Wishing its soon

• samwichsesamwichse Posts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

Update server is still down as of 11:45 6/11/18...

I'll take its reactivation as ZTE deciding not to abandon the US market. Until that point I remain leery of the company's commitment.

Sam

• cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Samsung just won a court case to have Rights not to update any of their phones if Samsung chosen. Security updates included.

• Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 25 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lllgurulll said:
    I just hope the servers get back online soon for updates.

I'm actually hoping it doesn't cuz it might try to send that bad Feb. update to my V8 Pro!!! I actually sold the V8 that updated and I'm currently using my non-updated V8.