Axon 7 Mini :: ? Clean Secure OS Replacement

MyhrddinMyhrddin United StatesPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've liked the Axon 7 Mini I've been using for a good while now.. However, in light of everything that's gone down, I would like to find out about the ability to install a replacement OS on it that would definitely keep it's business to itself. Is there an OS out there for it that would bring it up-to-date and be secure.? Currently, it has Android 7.1.1 installed but, the last security patch was 1 Sept 2017. It can't connect with any server to even check for an update and returns an error message of "Network unavailable" any time I let it look for a System Update.
It states that it can install from either an online source or from files on a MicroSD card.
It'd be nice to be able to feel it's running a system with more recent patches & bug fixes, etc.
..trying to remain optimistic about it a little while longer before trying to find another phone with front-facing stereo speakers in addition to all it's other perks without having to mortgage my neighbor's home to get it.! ;-)

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What's wrong with the software on it now other than being paranoid about rumors? If you want constant and frequent security updates, then you'll have to buy an expensive new device, then keep doing that every year or two depending on which device you get.

• MyhrddinMyhrddin United StatesPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭

You make a good point, or several, DopplegangerD. And, it's very ingrained in me to buck that "contract system".. makes me shiver to even think about going down that road, ever again. It'd be nice if the security patches Google releases could be installed right from the Play Store without having to depend upon each manufacturer to dole them out as they please & to whatever devices they pick and when. And, the recent newsplay regarding ZTE has been at the heart of my concerns, along with not really knowing how secure my phone is at it's heart. I do keep TrendMicro on it like on my PCs, etc. but, it would be good to know that it is maybe more secure than it feels like.

• cf07cf07 CanadaPosts: 123 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google Android is not an Green company....It is a very energy waste company loved by economists. More throw away phones , more money.

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 392 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd so go to xda and look like i'm going to do. My A7 constantly has apps crash. play store crash, box comes up saying open again... just overly aggravating device since purchase. Maybe swapping out the OS will help make it not suck as much?

• samwichsesamwichse Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/tulip

Well supported by LineageOS. I'd say throw that on there and be done with it. You'll get WEEKLY updates if you want to do it that often (only the initial changeover will make you wipe your phone, LineageOS updates work like OEM).

• OverkillOverkill RomaniaPosts: 15 ✭✭✭

Try rr os v5.8.5, for me work's better than Lineage os

• gweeper64gweeper64 United StatesPosts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:
    What's wrong with the software on it now other than being paranoid about rumors? If you want constant and frequent security updates, then you'll have to buy an expensive new device, then keep doing that every year or two depending on which device you get.

I don't need monthly updates, but it's been almost a year since the initial release and there has been zero since. Quarterly would be acceptable.