Battery drain about 12%/hour

bcsydombcsydom Posts: 127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sooo....My phone with all apps optimized, tinkered with power settings, background data etc etc, a full signal with these things on: wifi, data, gps drains between 10 and 12%/hour doing nothing. I did a factory reset some time ago but I didn't set up as a new phone. Anyway, this sounds like a bit much, right? Should I try a fresh factory reset and set up as new phone? I give it a flip of a coin that it'll work.

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

fresh factory reset and setup as new phone is certainly an option. Though you could first of all try to monitor what app is using all that battery juice. The power management on the phone should give you some idea but i know a lot of people also like to use app such as GSM battery monitor for more detail information.

From my personal experience, typically after reset, the battery takes a couple of days to settle in. So monitor the battery use and let it settle in for a few days and see if you must do the fresh reset.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bcsydom It is a "flip of the coin", but I would give it a try. A fresh reset has fixed things for me in the past. Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

• bcsydombcsydom Posts: 127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doing a factory reset and setting up as fresh as of this writing, will come back in a day or so with an update. Btw, before the reset, surfing and youtubing about 10m of video drew a whopping 25% battery.

• seacreatureseacreature United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

I've been suddenly experiencing the same issue for maybe two weeks now. I'm curious to hear the results of the factory reset.

• morefavesmorefaves Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

I've been experiencing that, as well as other charging/draining issues in the last couple of weeks. When I get to the low 20's, it then goes to 0% and powers off a few seconds later.

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

When it shuts off, try turning it back on and going directly to the recovery menu by holding Volume up + the power button. Then leave it on that screen until it shuts off again, then charge the device fully to 100% before disconnecting the charger.

• EmilyBakerEmilyBaker United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭

Here is some tips that could save the battery life.
    1)Turn Off Raise to Wake Mode
    2)Limit or Turn Off Location Service
    3)Disable Background App Refresh
    4)Enable Low Power Mode
    5)Disable WiFi, Bluetooth & Airdrop When Not Needed

• adrbadrb Toronto, CanadaPosts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You can install a CPU monitor app, like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.systemmonitor.lite

At the CPU frequencies tab, you should have a Deep Sleep percentage usually higher that 50%.
    If it is 0%, you have a rogue app.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Lots of great advice in this thread. Thank you everyone!

• bcsydombcsydom Posts: 127 ✭✭✭✭✭

UPDATE 5/30/2018:
    So, I did the factory reset and set up the phone as new device. All the tinkering you can do with apps settings is basically the same as before the reset.

Now I can be on the phone, surfing, watching videos etc and the drain is somewhere around 6%/ hour doing something, not 12% doing nothing.

Observation: Wifi calling seem to be bugging out, a lot, rendering it unusable in terms of battery drain, it keeps waking the phone up hundreds of times during night time.

• CecicliaGarciaCecicliaGarcia United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭

Actually, increasing battery life for Phone is not such a difficult thing as you think. To make your device run for a longer time, you only need to adjust some settings of your device like reducing the brightness of screen, disabling wireless network, quitting background software and so on

• seacreatureseacreature United StatesPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the update on the results of the factory reset. The dramatic battery drain seems to have automatically resolved on its own for now. I agree that turning off wifi seems to help a lot and does not seem to operate efficiently. According to the battery usage stats on my device the RF Signal seems to be suprisingly significant.

• Mike1Mike1 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    edited June 13, 2018 4:32AM

You know, i got the same issue two weeks ago. I made factory reset, but battery drain is also exists on clean device, without simcards, wifi and other connectives. Device eating battery in standby mode (RF Signal is top consumer), it's really strange...
    Will try how it act in airplane mode