Suggestions for A7 replacement?

1235»

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova said:

@wrbird said:
    The ASUS ZenFone 5Q was just released. Looks like a viable replacement for the Axon 7. However, now that ZTE is back in business I can patiently wait for the next generation Axon since my 7's still working flawlessly.

Interesting. With a SD 630 and 3300 Mah battery it should have pretty great stamina. Not sure if you saw the announcement a couple days ago, but the US Congress drafted an amendment to the defense spending bill that would block the ZTE deal so they're not out of the woods yet unless Trump is willing to veto the defense bill.

This Sony XA2 Ultra, with the SD 630 and 3580 mAh battery is just killer on battery life. And I haven't noticed any performance issues with the kind stuff I use it for. This is my test/in between phone while I wait and see what happens with ZTE and the rest of the smartphone market. Not a notch fan. First experience with a 6xx series chipset, and I am quite impressed. I am loving the battery life.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:

@kidnova said:

@wrbird said:
    The ASUS ZenFone 5Q was just released. Looks like a viable replacement for the Axon 7. However, now that ZTE is back in business I can patiently wait for the next generation Axon since my 7's still working flawlessly.

Interesting. With a SD 630 and 3300 Mah battery it should have pretty great stamina. Not sure if you saw the announcement a couple days ago, but the US Congress drafted an amendment to the defense spending bill that would block the ZTE deal so they're not out of the woods yet unless Trump is willing to veto the defense bill.

This Sony XA2 Ultra, with the SD 630 and 3580 mAh battery is just killer on battery life. And I haven't noticed any performance issues with the kind stuff I use it for. This is my test/in between phone while I wait and see what happens with ZTE and the rest of the smartphone market. Not a notch fan. First experience with a 6xx series chipset, and I am quite impressed. I am loving the battery life.

Good feedback since I have never used a SD 600 series phone myself. My work pays for my phones so I'm limited to phones offered via ATT, but I have friends and family that would be perfectly happy with a mid-range phone so I'm always keeping track to see if something good comes around.

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova said:

@wrbird said:

@kidnova Interesting, I did not hear about that amendment to the bill.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova said:

@jasonscarter said:

@kidnova said:

@wrbird said:

Good feedback since I have never used a SD 600 series phone myself. My work pays for my phones so I'm limited to phones offered via ATT, but I have friends and family that would be perfectly happy with a mid-range phone so I'm always keeping track to see if something good comes around.

Would they like you get unlocked, provided it has the right bands for ATT? Lots more options in the unlocked market.

@jasonscarter said:

@kidnova said:

@jasonscarter said:

@kidnova said:

@wrbird said:

Would they like you get unlocked, provided it has the right bands for ATT? Lots more options in the unlocked market.

No, they have to order it through their corporate account which is why I've basically gone from one Samsung flagship to the next. I don't mind the Samsung phones so it's no big deal to me, but I love keeping up to date on all of the available option.

• Mach1naMach1na Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wrbird said:

@Mach1na said:
    Can't stand notches, so I swapped for an LG V30+ and couldn't be happier.

@Mach1na I'm with you on the notch. Is your LG a US or international model? What was the cost? My Axon 7 was $400. I'm curious if it's a viable replacement cost wise.

I don't know in USD, but I got mine from Wondamobile for £467. Yes its probably more expensive than the Axon 7, but I could no longer put up with the awful bluetooth on 7.1.1, and with no sight of an official Oreo rom I had to swap.

As soon as I got the V30+ I realised how much I missed wireless charging. :D

• webman1956webman1956 United StatesPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use the dual sim active feature and after dropping the phone and breaking it, was going to just try something different. I found out how slim the picking were for dual sim active phones that were of this quality and after much research, headed over to Swappa and got another Axon 7!

• Harish_SridharanHarish_Sridharan DuPont WA Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend you the honor 7x it is a cheep phone (200ish) and it preform well. Good camera, good processor, and good display for it's price.

• Ock1Ock1 United StatesPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭✭

@vanguy said:
    Best deal I've seen lately was last Sunday. Amazon had the Huawei Mate 10 Pro 64GB (US ver) unlocked for $428.

I know some will shy away because of the brand. But if Huawei is a decent company they will honor any US warranty on their products. You may have to ship it back to Huawei for warranty work but that isn't any different than ZTE.

That was an amazing deal on the Mate 10 Pro but I think we'll see more. Odds are high that Huawei built a ton of them for the At&t postpaid release.

• crcostelcrcostel ChicagoPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭

Ended up getting a Z2 Force in a steal. I've given up on my A7. Even if ZTE makes it as a company, it is unlikely that there focus (1B down and out of production for months) will be new phones rather than supporting 2 year old ones.

• alferalfer Posts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crcostel said:
    Ended up getting a Z2 Force in a steal. I've given up on my A7. Even if ZTE makes it as a company, it is unlikely that there focus (1B down and out of production for months) will be new phones rather than supporting 2 year old ones.

Hope you don't end up having a ton of scratches on your screen like many get with their Z2. Screen may be "shatterproof" but scratches like crazy most folks say.

@alfer said:

@crcostel said:

Hope you don't end up having a ton of scratches on your screen like many get with their Z2. Screen may be "shatterproof" but scratches like crazy most folks say.

That's the trade off. Everybody that I know that had an "Active" version of a Galaxy had the same issues.

• crcostelcrcostel ChicagoPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭

@alfer said:

@crcostel said:

I am aware of the issue and got screen protector film. But there are always trade offs in life.

• rasalonrasalon Atlanta, GA., USAPosts: 94 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2018 11:37AM

I hope ViVO makes their Nex and NexS phones available with US bands and can be imported to the US. That popup camera, almost 0 bezel, big screen, good resolution, current 845 specs etc. and in fingerprint Scanners (no the Scanners plural is not a typo). We'll hears hoping. I am keeping my Axon 7 on life support as long as I can but at some point I will have to replace it and because of the ZTE Fight if you will, there may be no ZTE software update or replacement phone any time soon. So with that said I am keeping my eye on alternatives. Seams like most of the comparable phones price wise are from China. Nothing wrong with that. I am not one of those conspiracy nuts that say a country (in this case China) is using their equipment ti spy on me. All I want is something that is a 2018 equivalent of a Axon 7. Meaning take a Axon 7, change the Qualcomm 620 to a current 845, and at least keep the size of ram and HDD space, make the screen maybe a bit bigger like 5.8 or 6.2+ etc, while using the new aspect ratio phones are using these days while having as little a bezel as possible. Of and of course the latest version of Android and the latest security patch. I like the dual speakers, dual sim (with one being an MicroSD card expansion slot), and a headphone jack, as well as the fingerprint scanner, usb type-c fast charging (when it used to work for me (the fast charging that is)), etc, of the Axon 7. Again I have not found a complete replacement yet that meets all that criteria. So that is why I am trying to keep my A7 on life support if you will until I have to buy a new phone and then decide what features/specs I am willing to sacrifice to find something as affordable as the Axon 7 was back in the day. Maybe by then, all will be worked out and the next Axon will be in the USA? I had my Axon 7 for almost 2 years and I never had to send it in for service yet (crossing fingers). But in 2 years, my battery doesn't last as long as it did and it doesn't fast charge any more. In fact to get it to charge I usually turn the phone off and wait a few hours for the phone to get to 100%, and by just turning the phone on, the phone battery goes from 100% to sometimes as low as 90% or even 80% battery left, then the battery drain slows down to last a good part of a day. Not as much as when it was new or even a year ago, but like I said life support. 1) I don't want to spend the money on a new phone until I either have to, or some phone like the next Axon or Vivo NexS as an example make me says Upgrade, or I can't deal with my A7 on life support any more as is. All I can say (again crossing my fingers) is we'll see what happens.

• blatidoblatido Posts: 41 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rasalon said:
    I hope ViVO makes their Nex and NexS phones available with US bands and can be imported to the US. That popup camera, almost 0 bezel, big screen, good resolution, current 845 specs etc. and in fingerprint Scanners (no the Scanners plural is not a typo). We'll hears hoping. I am keeping my Axon 7 on life support as long as I can but at some point I will have to replace it and because of the ZTE Fight if you will, there may be no ZTE software update or replacement phone any time soon. So with that said I am keeping my eye on alternatives. Seams like most of the comparable phones price wise are from China. Nothing wrong with that. I am not one of those conspiracy nuts that say a country (in this case China) is using their equipment ti spy on me. All I want is something that is a 2018 equivalent of a Axon 7. Meaning take a Axon 7, change the Qualcomm 620 to a current 845, and at least keep the size of ram and HDD space, make the screen maybe a bit bigger like 5.8 or 6.2+ etc, while using the new aspect ratio phones are using these days while having as little a bezel as possible. Of and of course the latest version of Android and the latest security patch. I like the dual speakers, dual sim (with one being an MicroSD card expansion slot), and a headphone jack, as well as the fingerprint scanner, usb type-c fast charging (when it used to work for me (the fast charging that is)), etc, of the Axon 7. Again I have not found a complete replacement yet that meets all that criteria. So that is why I am trying to keep my A7 on life support if you will until I have to buy a new phone and then decide what features/specs I am willing to sacrifice to find something as affordable as the Axon 7 was back in the day. Maybe by then, all will be worked out and the next Axon will be in the USA? I had my Axon 7 for almost 2 years and I never had to send it in for service yet (crossing fingers). But in 2 years, my battery doesn't last as long as it did and it doesn't fast charge any more. In fact to get it to charge I usually turn the phone off and wait a few hours for the phone to get to 100%, and by just turning the phone on, the phone battery goes from 100% to sometimes as low as 90% or even 80% battery left, then the battery drain slows down to last a good part of a day. Not as much as when it was new or even a year ago, but like I said life support. 1) I don't want to spend the money on a new phone until I either have to, or some phone like the next Axon or Vivo NexS as an example make me says Upgrade, or I can't deal with my A7 on life support any more as is. All I can say (again crossing my fingers) is we'll see what happens.

Have you noticed that, to buy a 2018-phone-equivalent-to-2016-Axon7 you have to pay, at least, $100 usd more? Once upon a time...

• rasalonrasalon Atlanta, GA., USAPosts: 94 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blatido said:

@rasalon said:

Have you noticed that, to buy a 2018-phone-equivalent-to-2016-Axon7 you have to pay, at least, $100 usd more? Once upon a time...

Supposedly, the Axon 9 was going to be more expensive than the 7 as well. Still cheaper than a LG or Samsung, maybe 1+ Prices, depends on screen size and what internal specs they use. How much more? Nobody knows $50, $100? Now we may never know. At least for now.

1235»