mf279

can anyone recommend an antenna to use with MF279? Preferably not the ground plane type.

Comments

• ozarkretireeozarkretiree 64801Posts: 3 ✭✭

Thanks westside80 I couldn't find anything with either guy. I have seen these MF279 devices consistenly yield 50Mbps in 4 bar signal areas on AT&T. I am in AT&T 3 bar and getting in the 15-20Mbps range. Seems logical to me that a properly matched simple antenna would give me the speed I need. AT&T has not been much help.

• vhenslervhensler PAPosts: 2 ✭✭

There are a number of options floating around the internet, you just need a SMA male connector to plug into the device. I don't have one setup yet, my plan is to install a YaGi directional antenna to boost my indoor signal for both our cell phones and the modem. For reference, with no antenna, I get a -98db (3 bar) reading and consistently see 40-50Mbps.

• machinerymanmachineryman Hartford, kyPosts: 1 ✭✭

Glad to be at the blog....I have also fumbled around with AT&T trying to obtain knowledge and recently found a store helpful and they put me into the MF279 model. It has the external antennas however I already had a Weboost in my home and I placed the unit in the attic right above a ceiling panel antenna and it works super...all bars...I have it connected to a Netgear router in my family room and it works great. I had trouble trying to get good information from AT&T. I've learned from Utube that a lot of people use the MOFI4500 which has a built in router and uses the same card. The knowledgable tech at AT&T said if you change equipment you must register it with them or in 30 days they will turn it off...thinking it was stolen. Also I've learned that ZTE sells a similar unit in the Canadian market. I will run a test of the MF279 on my shop antenna. It is a Weboost directional and I will test it unboosted and report back. I'm not sure if you can connect the boosted signal directly into the MF279. I've got some adapters coming from Amazon. I wish AT&T people were more knowledgable as they could have saved me a $370 penalty from Hughesnet. They're service works but data usage is not there and latency is lousy. I don't plan on using the phone aspect of the service as I'll have too many numbers out there...but this is my take....been highly investigating....Chuck in Kentucky

• CyberTAUCyberTAU United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2018 11:38AM

The MF279 supports 50 Ohm antennas. The FCC internal photos show the left antenna from the top looking down is RX/TX while the right is only RX. These support antenna diversity but it appears only for RX. The connectors are SMA females and require SMA males to connect. With a yagi such as the Wilson 314411 directly connected to the left antenna jack I was able to reduce the dbm about -10 but it seems like the right antenna did nothing to help reduce the dbm with a second yagi connected.

A Wilson rep advised me that they wouldn't recommend two yagis on this router since they thought it was tuned for different RX frequencies per each antenna jack and the two yagis may interfere with each other. They also weren't sure if it supported MIMO or not but I assume it does with the dual antenna diversity. I also tried a Wilson 460119 M2M signal booster directly fed into the RX/TX antenna jack and it lowered the dbm by -14 using the yagi as its external antenna.

It would be nice if ZTE would release some antenna specs to get the max performance out of this device. It works fine on both AT&T and VZW in the US as long as you unlock it and add the VZW APN info under the settings section. The AT&T rep who sold it to me had no clue on the antenna specs.

Update: I talked to a ZTE USA rep via chat and she stated the MF279 does support MIMO. She wasn't sure if the internal antennas are bypassed when externals are used but I suspect not since the dbm is still affected when repositioning the device with external connections.