Another bump in the road for ZTE...

hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 10, 2018 7:37AM in Mobile Education

https://www.ibtimes.com/zte-smartphones-vulnerable-hacking-homeland-security-research-finds-2707424

"Based on the research, the flaws have been present in ZTE smartphones since they were in the manufacturing phase. Because of this, they have remained unknown to the public until now. The study did not identify if some hackers have exploited the vulnerabilities for their own benefit. "

"The Department of Homeland Security initially declined to name the companies behind smartphones that were found to have the manufacturing vulnerabilities. However, ZTE outright confirmed that its smartphones have the flaws. It is actually the first manufacturer to acknowledge the problem."

I wonder how many and who the others are.

Comments

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

You have to give credit to ZTE for coming out and saying it affects them and are working on the fix. They can't afford not to be on top of any situation like this.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In this days, it is impossible to have 100% bullet proof. I believe that it is critical for a manufacturers are being proactive , taking security serious, and actively dealing with these issues.

I hope that ZTE will able to fix the issue soon.

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 74 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the question is going to end up being who isn't producing phones with some version of these flaws.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with everyone. I just find it a bit weird that it's a manufacturing process. And the fact that ZTE was the first one to come out and admit it.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This can no way be the "evidence" the security agencies had that ZTE phones could be used to spy on us? Can it be?

ZTE has its own manufacturing, but also has FoxCon manufacture phones for them as well (Like the Axon 7)

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,069 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Geez, I hate the clickbait title of that article which makes it sound like ZTE is the only one with a vulnerability. It's good to know they are working on fixing it though. You are seeing more and more hardware based security flaws these days.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

How in the world is the US government not worried about the software makers? Google, carriers, Facebook, etc. We KNOW they are collecting our data and yet THAT'S not some sort of security risk? I'm much more worried about software and app makers than I am OEMs.

https://www.gsmarena.com/us_officials_ban_using_zte_huawei_devices-news-32756.php

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod
    edited August 14, 2018 6:19PM

@hollap I find your last comment the most concerning, as well as thought provoking. I would think that these social and cloud formats are far more risky than OEMs.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    How in the world is the US government not worried about the software makers? Google, carriers, Facebook, etc. We KNOW they are collecting our data and yet THAT'S not some sort of security risk? I'm much more worried about software and app makers than I am OEMs.

https://www.gsmarena.com/us_officials_ban_using_zte_huawei_devices-news-32756.php

I couldn't agree more, for these software tech companies it's a field day for them the eat the data up as much as possible, with OEMs it's more about risk vs cost for fixing. Most of these hardware companies don't care about collecting much of a users data because most of it isn't useful to hardware development and they don't have the software budget to go through a bunch of data and make software tricks or features to try and make more money. For them it's more about how much is it going to be to fix the issue and how much profit doesn't it take from the handset sale.