UI crashed?

caacaa United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭

I think the phone crashed, but not sure. Happened around midnight last night.The status bar does not scroll down anymore, the ringtone reverts to the defaults, notifications chime but do not appear on lock screen anymore, Google Play is stuck on "download pending." Anybody know how to fix this? Factory reset? or did i change a permission or sign-in? Thanks.

Answers

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Very odd. Might be corrupted rom, rogue app, or malware. Personally I would do a reset and see how it goes. If that doesn't work then contact support for warranty repair. I'm assuming you haven't installed any 3rd party roms.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018 2:40PM

Which device model are you using, and have you tried just restarting the device to see if it begins functioning normally again. If it does not respond to a 5 second press of the power button, try holding it down for around 30+ seconds or if needed, the power button + volume up until you get to the recovery menu.

Once in the recovery menu, you can clear the cache partition.

• caacaa United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭
    edited August 17, 2018 3:14PM

I have an Axon 7. I don't know what a rom is, so no, I have not purposefully installed one of those. I've restarted several times.

Will clearing the partition delete anything or reset my preferences?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Clearing the cache is safe.

If it is functional enough you can try clearing both caches.

The instructions for clearing both caches is done by first going into the android settings and then doing the following:
    1. Click on "Advanced settings".
    2. Click on "Storage".
    3. Click on "Phone memory".
    4. Click on "Cached data".
    5. Click on "OK" (You may have to repeat steps 4 and 5 if it does not fully clear the cache on the first attempt).
    After that is done, press and hold power button for about 5 seconds to bring up the power menu, after that, do the following:
    1. Click on "Restart".
    2. As soon as the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up button
    3. Keep the volume up button held until the Android recovery menu appears.
    4. Now using the volume control buttons, scroll down to "Wipe cache partition".
    5. Press the power button 1 time to select the option.
    6. Use the volume control buttons again to select "Yes".
    7. Press the power button again to confirm. It should then clear the cache partition.
    8. When it is done, it will automatically take you back to the main screen with "Reboot system now" selected.
    9. Simply press the power button to select that option to reboot the system.

I followed all the steps and nothing changed. I did it twice.

I forgot to mention that even the capacitive buttons on the bottom aren't working properly. The middle was set to Home. Only the right-side button works as a "back" function.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you have an SD card in the device, take it out, reboot the device, then keep it out and see if the phone works. If not, it may be time for a factory reset.

1. Click on "Restart".
    2. As soon as the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up button
    3. Keep the volume up button held until the Android recovery menu appears.
    4. Now using the volume control buttons, scroll down to "factory reset".

Know that all data will be erased. Do not restore from a backup if you think it may be an app that is causing issues.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yes it's time to do a factory reset. Good luck too you. Let us know how it goes.

I didn't have an SD card, but I was able to backup everything else, except for my text messages (using the Messages app and I could not export.) I did a hard reset and the phone is working again as it should!!

The only thing that I seem to have an issues with are my contacts. Between backing up on the SIM card, google and the phone, I have many duplicate records. I'll eventually figure out the proper way to save contacts.

Thank you so much for your advice!!

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@caa said:
    I didn't have an SD card, but I was able to backup everything else, except for my text messages (using the Messages app and I could not export.) I did a hard reset and the phone is working again as it should!!

The only thing that I seem to have an issues with are my contacts. Between backing up on the SIM card, google and the phone, I have many duplicate records. I'll eventually figure out the proper way to save contacts.

Thank you so much for your advice!!

@caa, I'm glad it all worked out for you.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Glad you are all set @caa, sorry you didn't have better results. As far as contacts, I'm not sure what others do, but I use only Google's contacts app and don't have any issues. Good luck!