Using the Axon 7 For Over 2 Years!

saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad I did my first tech video on my Axon 7.

Who Else's Axon 7 is Still Going Strong?

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Still going strong here too, using it daily. Still a great phone IMHO.

• teji007teji007 Dr IndiaPosts: 61 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 12:43AM

@Axon 7 is a wild beast. No phone matches its build quality and sound as far as i know. That strong grip feeling and software still kicking.
    Specs are more than enough to go with everything.
    Still Axon 7 kept its value in the market even after company held a great loss.
    People are now just waiting for the update to be release.
    Me too.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just recently stopped using it daily. I am keeping it in hopes of a software update. Still using this Sony phone until I find my next 2 year phone. Could be the Axon 9 I hope.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    Just recently stopped using it daily. I am keeping it in hopes of a software update. Still using this Sony phone until I find my next 2 year phone. Could be the Axon 9 I hope.

Which Sony phone are you using?

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is still going strong. A little over two years for me. It shows what a great device this really was!

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,827 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@saeedted said:

@jasonscarter said:

Which Sony phone are you using?

XA2 Ultra. Snapdragon 636 with 4GB of RAM. 3580 mAh battery. Battery life is insane. The 636 performs really great. I was worried at first coming from the SD820 in the A7.

It's my in between phone to get me on some current software (they have been good with updates) and I had new phone envy going pretty strong earlier this summer during the ZTE ban. I like the bigger screen I must say. Biggest phone I have had. It does have some bezel to it, but that's fine with me. I am happy with it, but I want to be in flagship territory again. Bring on the A9!

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I love my Axon 7 but due to deteriorating battery life I have had to stop using it. I have moved to an Honor 7x for the time being but have been budgeting for either the Axon 9 or OP 6T on T-Mobile.

• blatidoblatido Posts: 45 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here, 1 year 5 months with my Axon 7 and still working just fine. No need or hurry to buy another phone. I plan to keep using it at least until the end of 2018.

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had the Axon7 since the launch day, in Canada. Been using it everyday since it's release. I'm in the market to change it, we'll see what's next

• alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭

My A7 is still up and running and I mainly use it for Spotify and Showbox. I've noticed it doesn't like locking into my wifi 2.4 channel anymore for some reason.

If we ever get a solid update, I MAY take it out again for a spin, but for now my S8 is main driver.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@alfer said:
    My A7 is still up and running and I mainly use it for Spotify and Showbox. I've noticed it doesn't like locking into my wifi 2.4 channel anymore for some reason.

If we ever get a solid update, I MAY take it out again for a spin, but for now my S8 is main driver.

If your router supports band steering or similarly named features such as "Smart Connect" or other marketing names, then your router will likely force the Axon 7 to use the 5GHz band, as there are multiple benefits.

Even though the Axon 7 is 2 streams on the 2.4GHz band but only 1 stream on the 5GHz band, the 5GHz is more than 2 times as fast. next, if you use Bluetooth, then the the 2.4GHz transciever must share around half of its airtime with the Bluetooth radio, thus further cuts its speed in half since Bluetooth and WiFi cannot transmit at the same time.

Modern routers try to limit the use of 2.4GHz to legacy devices, as well as IOT devices, and then if the router supports more advanced airtime sharing algorithms, they will push both 802.11ac and 802.11n devices to the 5GHz band, and if they lack the airtime sharing, they may let 802.11n devices freely choose their band while forcing 802.11ac devices to the GHz band.

PS, if your router supports 160MHz channel width on the 5GHz band, but you are not using any HT160 devices (no smartphone supports it and only like 2 WiFi adapters on the market support it), then it is best to set your router to just 80MHz channel width, as that will allow it to use its full transmit power (most routers significantly drop their transmit power at 160MHz channel width).

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got an Essential PH-1 during Prime Day. I just couldn't resist. Otherwise, the Axon 7 is still good. I keep it on a custom ROM but I may put it back to stock at some point. I've stuck to stock on the Essential PH-1 and what was once a clear distinction between stock & custom is less. If anything, you end up losing things like Dolby ATMOS or other proprietary enhancements the manufacturer adds.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I also noticed my A7 overheats quickly when I'm recording videos in 4K video which didnt happen before. It reached 105 degrees Fahrenheit.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am just over 2 years with my A7. This is the only phone I have, so if it dies permanently I have no phone. Everything works except the battery does drain allot quicker at times, and no quick charge. It only charges slow with the phone off and that is only if I put the stock charger in a certain position. Of all the current 2018 Flagships sold in the US that are not Flagship prices like Samsung, LG, Iphone, or Google pricing, is the Asus Zenphone 5Z. Yes it isn't perfect and it is missing a few thing I mentioned in another post here in a different thread, but it is the cheapest of them all and still a modern looking phone. We'll see if ZTE makes a A9 variant for us here in the US and we'll see what the price is, but until then.......

Mine works like day one... Almost. Battery deplete faster, but still solid performance for a daily use

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018 7:41AM

I alternate between My S9 Plus and my A7. I still use my A7 on a daily basis. Hopefully we will get the Oreo update soon.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 3, 2018 10:52AM

1yr 10 months for my Axon7 and it's still going strong with the exception of a little battery degradation.. I'm looking forward to if/when it receives Oreo 🤞🏼 Regardless it's still a great device imo!

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:
    I alternate between My S9 Plus and my A7. I still use my A7 on a daily basis. Hopefully we will get the Oreo update soon.

So how do these phones compare and which one do you use more?

edited September 4, 2018 6:58AM

@rasalon, The S9+ is 2 years newer so it has 2 generations newer internals. It is not a fair comparison overall. I test several new devices every year and than sell the test phones. I generally keep a couple phones on hand. I kept the A7 because I have always really liked it. It still is a great device at 2+ years old.

My real question is @dnewman007 is between all these different Android phones you have tried throughout the years including the A7, despite each phone possibly being on a different version of Android (7.1, 8.0/1, etc.), what phone manufactures implementation of Android if you will feature wise, skin wise, design wise, have you really liked over the years?

• webman1956webman1956 United StatesPosts: 38 ✭✭✭✭✭

@acatrus said:
    Mine works like day one... Almost. Battery deplete faster, but still solid performance for a daily use

You can get the battery replaced for around $60 total battery and labor.

@rasalon said:
    My real question is @dnewman007 is between all these different Android phones you have tried throughout the years including the A7, despite each phone possibly being on a different version of Android (7.1, 8.0/1, etc.), what phone manufactures implementation of Android if you will feature wise, skin wise, design wise, have you really liked over the years?

@rasalon I really like stock Android (Pixel) the best. OnePlus also does a good job with their OS. I have to say Samsung's newer phones S8, S9, Note 8&9 have about as many features as you can get in an Android phone. I've had all of them except the Note 9 and had no problems with their OS. They are fast and will do about anything you can think of. They also feel great in hand. I really don't like the glass build but that is now considered premium. I really like the build quality of the Axon 7 and how it feels in hand. Also, the dual front facing speakers are among the best out there.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My Axon is still going strong, I am really amazed that I have used a device for this long!!! the hardware is still relevant and the front facing speakers still are one of best on a smartphone.

Thanks ZTE

Also, with the Blade update yesterday, I'm confident Oreo is around the corner for the A7

edited September 5, 2018 3:43PM

Don't get me wrong I love my Axon 7. It still works great. It is the ONLY device I have kept more than say 8 months. :wink:

So 2 questions fore you @dnewman007 if you will. If you are not using your A7 as your daily driver as I assume you are not as you have a newer Samsung phone, what made you switch your daily from the A7? and 2) On the A7, Samsung, and others, are you using the stock Android Skin/Launcher on those phones now or did you install a 3rd party skin or launcher like Nova or something else and if you did, did you pay for the Prime or premium features of that skin of they have a paid element? Thanks.

• fooofooo Posts: 25 ✭✭✭✭✭

@webman1956 said:

@acatrus said:

You can get the battery replaced for around $60 total battery and labor.

@webman1956 Do you have any recommendations for who can do this without breaking things? I generally like my Axon7 but the battery degrading has made performance absolutely miserable below 30 something percent. I wish I could turn off throttling and just have it drain normally and not throttle. Battery life is certainly down. It's about 21 months old now.

@webman1956 I have the same question as @fooo. My phone also doesn't quick charge any more and even though it does charge my charging port is possibly messed up as when I plug in any charger including the default charger, that charger only stays in if it is in a certain direction, and when the phone is on, charging is so slow or it even depletes so if the phone is in need of a charge, I turn it off to charge it which takes hours like almost 8 to 100%, and no idea if related or it is the battery but now when I turn the phone on from being off at 100% charge, by the time my phone and apps load which has not changed, now it depletes to almost to the mid 80% range or even 80% very quickly then it slows down and if I stream a video, in an hour I am down to the 50% range. Battery monitor apps I use claim no issue and healthy battery so I think my battery needs to be replaced, and hopefully if anybody like @webman1956 not only knows where I can get my battery replaced, but whom can or would the same place look at my charging port so that I can have my default charging cord stay in place and my phone can quick charge again even when on. Thanks.

edited September 8, 2018 7:51AM

@rasalon said:
    So 2 questions fore you @dnewman007 if you will. If you are not using your A7 as your daily driver as I assume you are not as you have a newer Samsung phone, what made you switch your daily from the A7? and 2) On the A7, Samsung, and others, are you using the stock Android Skin/Launcher on those phones now or did you install a 3rd party skin or launcher like Nova or something else and if you did, did you pay for the Prime or premium features of that skin of they have a paid element? Thanks.

@rasalon I use both phones on a daily basis. I guess I use the S9+ a little more probably because I like the bigger screen. I alternate my launchers. I seem to be using the Action Launcher the most right now. I also use Pixel Rootless, Nova and Stock. I am continually looking at others as well. I have the paid launchers on the ones you can pay for. I am looking to test a new device right now. I want it to be the Axon 9. We shall see what happens with it.

• Mine is still working fine after 2 years. I still enjoy the front facing speakers a lot. What a shame that this feature is so underrated by all brands these days.