Standout Features In A Budget Smartphone Under $200

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,884 admin
edited September 20, 2018 1:07PM in Axon

Based on our most recent poll, the under $200 price point is the topic of discussion.

What standout features would make you gravitate towards a budget phone under the $200 price point?

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Standout features I like to see in a budget device, are the battery life, memory management to allow for better multitasking, and expandability (micro SD card slot, and headphone jack)

One thing I have noticed in many reviews of budget devices, is that negative views that take the price into consideration, happen when companies try to implement check box features common in more expensive devices, where they then compromise to add them. For example cutting back on camera quality, storage, or RAM in order to implement a feature that is not often used on high end devices, which ends up not implemented properly on the budget device, thus goes unused be virtually all users.

Overall, it is best to stick to core functions and ensuring that for the price, the user is getting best possible balance of SOC, RAM, camera sensor, battery, display, and RF front-end.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do agree that the core functionality is where I would value for a budget device. I do not feel that a budget device needs to compromise too much when comes to the core functionality and user experience.

For me, I think it needs to have
    -a decent enough processor to handle basic tasks and a bit of multitasking.
    -3GB/4GB of RAM (since modern device (and Android) runs a bit better with least 3GB of RAM)
    -a good display at 1080p, I feel this is where some of the budget device fails because many of them comes with bad display that makes it hard to use. They can have a bit of tint, or color is so off that is off-putting, or hard to use out door because they are not bright enough. Also, bad screen affects the output of the pictures taken with the camera (since lot of people don't bother to look at the picture on their computer)
    -Decent enough battery to last a full day (at least 3200mAh but more the better:))
    -at least 32GB of storage (64GB preferred)
    -one good camera that can just take pictures fast and without much of user tinkering. I feel that for a budget device, people should not expect all of the fancy features and function of the high end phone but prefer just having a camera that capture the moment. So, I value more where the camera is fast at taking picture, can capture good shots with good enough low light performance and easy to use UI.
    -USB C (quick charging support)
    -modern network connectivity (5Ghz wifi (ac preferred)
    -Android P (at least Oreo) with minimal bloatware
    -decent built quality (metal body preferred) with modern design (ie taller aspect ratio, slimmer bezel) just for aesthetic purpose and makes the phone easier to use.
    -FP (rear mounted preferred) and NFC would be nice to have

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2018 3:25PM

-Durable construction: Plastic is ok just make it interesting (I am partial to the plastic used for the iPhone 5C or the Nexus 7)

-Full HD display, with good brightness!

-3 or 4gb RAM with 32 or 64gb ROM and sd card expansion

• a good camera sensor at least 12MP with large pixel size. You can skip out on the dual lens

-Stock Android if not Android one

-USB C

-SoC: Snapdragon 660 is best, I could probably live with 653 (the key is a fluid performance that is stable)

-NFC, rear fingerprint sensor-in fact all the sensors, BT4.2 if not 5

-at least 3200mAH with QC3 or QC4

oh and no notch if there is going to be a sizable bottom bezel! just to be safe no notch, call the Axon 9 a moment where we forget ourselves or something

• If you guys can pull off stereo speakers or IR blaster I would be so happy! :)
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 20, 2018 5:40PM

1)Decent Cameras
    2) battery 3500mAH min
    3) decent processor, 3gb ram, 32 gb storage w/sd slotl
    4)6" screen w/18.9 body
    5) stock Android (smooth performance)

I think the consensus here is pretty similar overall.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,168 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1) Decent performer camera
    2) 3300mah battery
    3) full hd display
    4) Snapdragon 4xx or 6xx
    5) 3gb+ ram
    6) near stock Android
    7) NFC, FP, 3.5mm jack

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I stick by my Twitter comment of a good camera and a large battery and I will be pretty happy.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

A sub-$200 phone should be a "savant"--one feature should be outstanding, and the rest can just be adequate. The outstanding feature could be a huge battery (5000+mAh), a big screen (6.5"+) or a great camera. The great camera would be most attractive to me, since the only way currently to get a great camera at that price point is to buy an aging flagship. Even the moto g6 and the Nokia 6.1 are just pretty good in the camera department, not great.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 21, 2018 11:27AM

Good Camera
    Large Battery
    Smooth UI (Android One perhaps)
    3GB Ram & 32GB Internal Storage
    Expandable Storage
    Great Ram Management
    Rear FP Sensor
    SD 4xx-6xx Processor
    5.5 Display

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think having an amazing battery while having a fast processor and enough ram (4gb) is really something that I personally look for.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is a lot in these lists that seem like flagship territory rather than $200 phone territory.

Here's my list:
    32GB / 3GB config
    Snapdragon 6xx if possible, although 4xx likely acceptable
    5.2 to 5.8" screen (720 or 1080)
    Android One would be fantastic
    3.5mm jack
    3300mAh or larger battery

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@louisd said:
    There is a lot in these lists that seem like flagship territory rather than $200 phone territory.

Here's my list:
    32GB / 3GB config
    Snapdragon 6xx if possible, although 4xx likely acceptable
    5.2 to 5.8" screen (720 or 1080)
    Android One would be fantastic
    3.5mm jack
    3300mAh or larger battery

It's possible that a lot of people are thinking about the Pocophone F1, even if it is $100 more

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 30, 2018 12:23PM

@14blank40 said:

It's possible that a lot of people are thinking about the Pocophone F1, even if it is $100 more

Given that the F1 isn't being released in the US, I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

@louisd said:

@14blank40 said:

Given that the F1 isn't being released in the US, I'm not sure that's a fair comparison.

Wasn't this website expanded to include more than just the US? Or are there seperate places for each country?

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

@louisd said:

@14blank40 said:

Wasn't this website expanded to include more than just the US? Or are there seperate places for each country?

Pocophone doesn't have the right 4G bands to work well in the US. Most Chinese phones don't.

@hollap said:

@14blank40 said:

@louisd said:

@14blank40 said:

Pocophone doesn't have the right 4G bands to work well in the US. Most Chinese phones don't.

Of course I understand that, I'm just saying that there's been so much talk and hype about the phone online, that even it isn't coming here, it might still be on people's mind.

@14blank40 said:

@hollap said:

@14blank40 said:

@louisd said:

@14blank40 said:

Of course I understand that, I'm just saying that there's been so much talk and hype about the phone online, that even it isn't coming here, it might still be on people's mind.

In the US the only phones on people's minds are Apple and Samsung thanks to Marketing dollars and carriers. If I ask 100 people if they know Xiaomi or the Pocophone, my guess is only 3 or 4 know.

@hollap said:

@14blank40 said:

@hollap said:

@14blank40 said:

@louisd said:

@14blank40 said:

In the US the only phones on people's minds are Apple and Samsung thanks to Marketing dollars and carriers. If I ask 100 people if they know Xiaomi or the Pocophone, my guess is only 3 or 4 know.

Well you're not wrong there. But this question was asked to the members of the ZTE community, which I think are a bit more smartphone savvy than the general population.

@14blank40 said:

@hollap said:

@14blank40 said:

@hollap said:

@14blank40 said:

@louisd said:

@14blank40 said:

Well you're not wrong there. But this question was asked to the members of the ZTE community, which I think are a bit more smartphone savvy than the general population.

B)