Question distorted audio stream?

maverickmaverick NJPosts: 392 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 5, 2018 5:00PM in Axon

My a7 is at about 23 percent battery. I open SoundCloud and play a song... It's hanging up and making absurd sounds. Like when something skips or locks up? I don't know how to describe it. I can't figure out why? It can't possibly be that when this phone gets to the 20's it turns into an even bigger turd than it already is. I can't even listen to a song from SoundCloud on lte now? I've closed all apps and tried again... Nope. I'm guessing it's just because connectivity on this thing is horrendous? I'll have to figure out a way to record how it sounds and post it.

Comments

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think it has to do with the battery as mine doesn't start shutting down until 15%. I agree with you 100% about the lousy connectivity. If my A7 didn't have wifi calling I would just throw the thing out the window. My A7 has always been horrible to use as a phone. I find myself going back to my old HTC phone quite a bit.

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ram1220 said:
    I don't think it has to do with the battery as mine doesn't start shutting down until 15%. I agree with you 100% about the lousy connectivity. If my A7 didn't have wifi calling I would just throw the thing out the window. My A7 has always been horrible to use as a phone. I find myself going back to my old HTC phone quite a bit.

yeah I've been debating what to do. Considering just getting a phone branded from tmobile even though I dont want to. Prefer unlocked from manufacturer. I noticed when my A7 gets to 15% forget it. its unusable. powersave mode goes (or even with it off) its impossible to navigate. Could it be the launcher? I use nova prime. Could it be some **** is running in background? Or could it be b/c my screen is hogged with folders of apps.. I'm minimalist. 1Weather widget on top, 8 folders below of social, music/video, financial, stores, camera, etc... I cant figure out what it is... I even noticed earlier under 50% it was lagging to ****. Maybe Google music. I noticed when i open it in my car the whole thing lags for 10 seconds. Although, I also noticed taht when I plug a charger in it chimes, lags, chimes again then its ok.... Hmm... I really wish i could just factory reset it again. third times the charm maybe?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Audi streams should not be having issues like that, thus I recommend doing some troubleshooting.

Can you run 3c toolbox? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.at.free

Upon launching it, switch to expert mode, and then open the CPU manager.

After that, check the CPU usage while streaming.
    Also check the CPU clock speeds.

Typically when idle, all 4cores will be at 307MHz, but under full load, 2 cores will be at 1.59GHz, and the other 2 cores will be at 2.15GHz.

Also what types of headphones are you using (Wired or Bluetooth), and if wired, are you using any external audio device such as a USB-C external soundcard?

PS, the Axon devices do not throttle performance based on the battery (unless you turn on a battery saver mode).

@razor512 said:
    Audi streams should not be having issues like that, thus I recommend doing some troubleshooting.

Can you run 3c toolbox? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.at.free

Typically when idle, all 4cores will be at 307MHz, but under full load, 2 cores will be at 1.59GHz, and the other 2 cores will be at 2.15GHz.

Also what types of headphones are you using (Wired or Bluetooth), and if wired, are you using any external audio device such as a USB-C external soundcard?

PS, the Axon devices do not throttle performance based on the battery (unless you turn on a battery saver mode).

I'll try this i guess. I use wired earbuds mostly. no external device. Anyway, i'l try this and get back to you

@razor512 said:

i have it open and and while idle i saw all of the cpu boxes go to 307 but the top bar is going 16% 19% 15% 25% 54$ etc etc..And then randomly the cpu boxes jump to 940 or 960 ...
    Is there anything I should keep an out for when this lag bs starts? just **** cpu screen or something else maybe?

phone is at 50% and i see the top bar in cpu manager showing 90 or 30 or whatever. all over the place. at one point cpu 2 and 3 were "offline" or whatever then all 4 are 2.15... shits all over the place heh

Yo @razor512 check this **** out.... Lol

It is normal for the CPU usage and clock speeds to jump around since it is always trying to use the rapidly jump to a high clock speed for a fast initial response and then find the minimum power state for the CPU that will provide a balance of performance and power savings.

The main thing to look for is if you encounter an issue such as all cores at their max clock speed and 100% load continuously while you are experiencing the audio issues. If it does not happen then the issue may be related to something else that will need more troubleshooting.

Also does the streaming issue happen with youtube or other apps?

@razor512 said:
    It is normal for the CPU usage and clock speeds to jump around since it is always trying to use the rapidly jump to a high clock speed for a fast initial response and then find the minimum power state for the CPU that will provide a balance of performance and power savings.

The main thing to look for is if you encounter an issue such as all cores at their max clock speed and 100% load continuously while you are experiencing the audio issues. If it does not happen then the issue may be related to something else that will need more troubleshooting.

Also does the streaming issue happen with youtube or other apps?

But why are two offline and one N/A? That i dont get.. the N/A did come back on eventually while the other two were offline (power save mode was turned off).. And yeah trying to watch a youtube video is torture at low percentage.

If the app fails to get the requested data, it will display a N/A value. Since the CPU does not look like it is being pegged at max clock speed and 100% load, I recommend checking the power settings and ensure that you do not have a power saving mode or a low performance profile set.

After that, I recommend doing the standard troubleshooting step of clearing both caches.
    (Annoying process, but it does help especially if you have any buggy 3rd party apps installed, especially ones that do not perform clean updates).

1. Open the android settings.
    2. Click on "Advanced settings".
    3. Click on "Storage".
    4. Click on "Phone memory".
    5. Click on "Cached data".
    6. Click on "OK" (You may have to repeat steps 4 and 5 if it does not fully clear the cache on the first attempt).
      After that is done, press and hold power button for about 5 seconds to bring up the power menu, after that, do the following:
    7. Click on "Restart".
    8. As soon as the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up button
    9. Keep the volume up button held until the Android recovery menu appears.
    10. Now using the volume control buttons, scroll down to "Wipe cache partition".
    11. Press the power button 1 time to select the option.
    12. Use the volume control buttons again to select "Yes".
    13. Press the power button again to confirm. It should then clear the cache partition.
    14. When it is done, it will automatically take you back to the main screen with "Reboot system now" selected.
    15. Simply press the power button to select that option to reboot the system.

@razor512 said:
    If the app fails to get the requested data, it will display a N/A value. Since the CPU does not look like it is being pegged at max clock speed and 100% load, I recommend checking the power settings and ensure that you do not have a power saving mode or a low performance profile set.

After that, I recommend doing the standard troubleshooting step of clearing both caches.
    (Annoying process, but it does help especially if you have any buggy 3rd party apps installed, especially ones that do not perform clean updates).

1. Open the android settings.
    2. Click on "Advanced settings".
    3. Click on "Storage".
    4. Click on "Phone memory".
    5. Click on "Cached data".
    6. Click on "OK" (You may have to repeat steps 4 and 5 if it does not fully clear the cache on the first attempt).
      After that is done, press and hold power button for about 5 seconds to bring up the power menu, after that, do the following:
    7. Click on "Restart".
    8. As soon as the screen goes black, press and hold the volume up button
    9. Keep the volume up button held until the Android recovery menu appears.
    10. Now using the volume control buttons, scroll down to "Wipe cache partition".
    11. Press the power button 1 time to select the option.
    12. Use the volume control buttons again to select "Yes".
    13. Press the power button again to confirm. It should then clear the cache partition.
    14. When it is done, it will automatically take you back to the main screen with "Reboot system now" selected.
    15. Simply press the power button to select that option to reboot the system.

Ok thanks i'll try that. By clearing the first cache what data will i lose? Something I should back up or something? I cant seem to find a setting for power save mode b/c I turned it off but other night at 15% it said power save mode came on again.... under 50 this thing is lagged. not sure

Clearing the cache will not impact any of your data, as no user created data is stored in the cache locations.

If it gives you the option to go into power saver while the battery is low, then it is not in a power save mode during normal use at a full charge.

@razor512 said:
    Clearing the cache will not impact any of your data, as no user created data is stored in the cache locations.

If it gives you the option to go into power saver while the battery is low, then it is not in a power save mode during normal use at a full charge.

Yeah But I have power save mode OFF. at 15% it should do nothing. But below 50 it lags. It even lags when i plug in the charger... lol. i dont get it. i'll clear cache and see what happens

right now at 19% the cpu profile shows cpu2 and 3 randomly going offline and spiking up to full 2.15 then down to 307 then random differences... still have powersave off. no idea why they'd be doing this. but whatever. Onwifi at 19% soundcloud wasnt' getting distorted. So I'm assuming its just that the antenna is garbage that it really struggles with full bars and lte