** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• VIPKing2000VIPKing2000 AustraliaPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I've tried So many times to do this, I followed every exact step but when I Go through with the system update its just says Error: package is not for this device... Installation aborted. And I'm pretty certain that I'm using an Axon 7.
  • sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,032 admin
    edited October 16, 2018 12:36PM
    VIPKing2000 Are you using the North American version A2017U?
  • a7lexa7lex ClevelandPosts: 49 ✭✭✭✭
    a7lex said:
    Dunka said:
    So far the only issue I'm having after the update is with Android Auto. It connects and disconnects repeatedly.  It doesn't connect until I go into developer options and enable MTP there. 
    Android Auto is the main app for me. Any other users are having issues with Android Auto after Oreo update?
    I haven't had any major issues. I did get a few messages with an audible notification, but no visual notification. Also my Waze still does not work properly, unless I unlock the phone.
    mrjlturner ,

Do you need to go into developer options and enable MTP every time?
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Found what appears to be a minor bug...can anyone else confirm?  When using the clock app | alarms, I have an alarm set to silent (vibrate only) and I have settings set to use volume buttons to snooze the alarm. This functionality does not seem to work (at least not on a phone that is locked and face down.) This used to work just fine before the upgrade, as I'd roll over and hit the volume controls to snooze for a few minutes in the am.
    i never used vibrate for the alarm since I need the audio to wake me up:). I just checked and noticed the same behavior but then I went into the clock setting and noticed that you can adjust the volume button behavior to set it to snooze or dismiss the alarm. 
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 34 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a7lex said:
    a7lex said:
    Dunka said:
    So far the only issue I'm having after the update is with Android Auto. It connects and disconnects repeatedly.  It doesn't connect until I go into developer options and enable MTP there. 
    Android Auto is the main app for me. Any other users are having issues with Android Auto after Oreo update?
    I haven't had any major issues. I did get a few messages with an audible notification, but no visual notification. Also my Waze still does not work properly, unless I unlock the phone.
    mrjlturner ,

Do you need to go into developer options and enable MTP every time?
    No sir...I had to do nothing special after the flash to use Android Auto.
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 34 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 16, 2018 1:57PM
    samsamha said:
    Found what appears to be a minor bug...can anyone else confirm?  When using the clock app | alarms, I have an alarm set to silent (vibrate only) and I have settings set to use volume buttons to snooze the alarm. This functionality does not seem to work (at least not on a phone that is locked and face down.) This used to work just fine before the upgrade, as I'd roll over and hit the volume controls to snooze for a few minutes in the am.
    i never used vibrate for the alarm since I need the audio to wake me up:). I just checked and noticed the same behavior but then I went into the clock setting and noticed that you can adjust the volume button behavior to set it to snooze or dismiss the alarm. 
    Thanks for testing. I am doing a little more testing. It seems that the buttons are working when the phone is face up, but not face down. Turned on a few "Mi Pop" actions, and will test again with the phone face down. The audio just scares the bojangles out of me in the am, thus the "vibrate only" option :)

Update...now it seems to be working?! Hmmm. Let me try a reboot (as I do scheduled reboots at night) and see if that changes things... Will update tomorrow morning!
  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sshasan said:
    ram1220 said:
     Too many issues being reported here including phones being bricked. I'm staying on Nougat. Not going to chance it.
    There are thousands of people doing this update with only a handful of users being vocal in the community and not many are having issues. 

Why not try it out and if its not a good fit for you go back to nougat... both files are available.

Because I'm not going to fix what's not broken. Still too many issues being reported.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @mrjlturner maybe you have the flip to silence gesture on?
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone able to add a tone or music thats not on the stock list? I went too  add and picked a file which was a trimmed file from the previous setup where they add the word "trim" at the beginning. It flickered and wont add it even though it says it did. Now i have my phone on vibrate only and keep missing calls lol
  • GusmoreGusmore ArgentinaPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    Once You update the axon 7 with Oreo, can I put in spanish?
  • klevklev Posts: 122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    samsamha said:
    Thanks for testing. I am doing a little more testing. It seems that the buttons are working when the phone is face up, but not face down. Turned on a few "Mi Pop" actions, and will test again with the phone face down. The audio just scares the bojangles out of me in the am, thus the "vibrate only" option :)

Update...now it seems to be working?! Hmmm. Let me try a reboot (as I do scheduled reboots at night) and see if that changes things... Will update tomorrow morning!
    What I have seen is the Google clock alarms dont work. Doesnt trigger, doesnt show that alarm is set either
    maverick said:
    Anyone able to add a tone or music thats not on the stock list? I went too  add and picked a file which was a trimmed file from the previous setup where they add the word "trim" at the beginning. It flickered and wont add it even though it says it did. Now i have my phone on vibrate only and keep missing calls lol
    I can add an mp3 file that is not on the stock list as my notification sound. I have tried it by opening the file explorer and navigate to the music file and long press and choose set audio as. Additionally, I also tried to go into setting-->sound-->ringtone-->add ringtone. I did notice that once I add a ringtone, it did not automatically set that particular sound file but I have to select it again from the list. 

FYI, not sure if this matters but in the past I recall some devices where the location of the files can make a difference. For me the music files are stored under the Music Folder. 
    Gusmore said:
    Once You update the axon 7 with Oreo, can I put in spanish?
    You can change the language to Espanol under setting. 
  • abozhinabozhin Moscow, RussiaPosts: 53 ✭✭✭✭
    Kudos to ZTE for the update!

Did ZTE certified a Widevine L1 support? And is it true that this update implements Treble?
  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 352 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    L1 need certified hardware for update, so no.

Project Treble I don't know, doubt it
  • hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    abozhin said:
    Kudos to ZTE for the update!

Did ZTE certified a Widevine L1 support? And is it true that this update implements Treble?
    Treble Widevine and Treble are both a no.  Sorry!
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Cannot add Widevine higher level cert after device manufacture. It requires controls to be in place as part of the manufacturing process so it will never happen on the Axon.
  • alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 11:01AM
    HELP!
    So how do I get Android Auto to work? I have the app on the phone, in my car, but when I plug the USB cable in to phone, the phone screen constantly flashes asking me if I'm "charging" "want to use for media" add firmware etc. It refuses to connect to my stereo at this point.

Any ideas how to get the USB connection to talk to the car?  My Samsung S8 works perfectly with AA in same car.
  • dms11364dms11364 Posts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

Oreo has a longer start up time.  The reason is that two PINs are required.  The first, before the fingerprint reader, to start Android.  The second, after the fingerprint reader, to open the device.  Is there any way to bypass the first PIN?  It was not required in Nougat or Marshmallow, both of which had quicker start up times.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod
    edited October 17, 2018 11:43AM
    @dms11364 Go to Settings>Security & Location>Screen Lock> Type in your pin>Tap Pin on next screen> You should now be looking at secure startup screen. Tap No and  enter your pin again to confirm. This should do away with the second request. :)
  • ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod
    @alfer I don't use my phone in the car that way, so I won't be much help. I would play with the "want to use media" option it's providing you, as that sounds like the right direction.  You might get more assistance if you create your own thread for this specific issue :)
  • DunkaDunka United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 12:54PM
    alfer said:
    HELP!
    So how do I get Android Auto to work? I have the app on the phone, in my car, but when I plug the USB cable in to phone, the phone screen constantly flashes asking me if I'm "charging" "want to use for media" add firmware etc. It refuses to connect to my stereo at this point.

Any ideas how to get the USB connection to talk to the car?  My Samsung S8 works perfectly with AA in same car.
    I have the same issue. What I have to do for it to connect is go into developer options and under networking, enable either MTP or audio source, then connect the phone to the car and it will connect. 
  • birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will ZTE ever issue an OTA update for Oreo? 
    Dunka said:
    alfer said:
    HELP!

I have the same issue. What I have to do for it to connect is go into developer options and under networking, enable either MTP or audio source, then connect the phone to the car and it will connect. 

How do I get to Developer options?
    Disregard, figured it out.
    Thanks
  • astra_starrastra_starr United StatesPosts: 30 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I go back to nougat? Daydream is a requirement for me.
  • jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I go back to nougat? Daydream is a requirement for me.

You can downgrade by using the SD card package similar to how you upgraded here. Just grab the B35 package from this link.
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 500 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 8:39PM
    seriously, no chance of changing tones from stock options? 

Edit: Ok so i poked around more. APPARENTLY, you cant use the tones that were made on the last iteration. They were all shorted with "trim" at the beginning. when you add them it wont add them. So i added the full mp3 and it added an entire song as a tone. I'll try using ringdroid and see if i can set that as a tone next. Just to help others if any issues
  • jtmackjtmack Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can anyone out there recommend installing this update? I'm having absolutely zero issues with Nougat. My only beef is with Google Pay asking for fingerprint EVERY TIME I try to use it, then "beeping" and taking it's time, before finally being accepted. Can anyone out there verify if this issue has been fixed?
  • raggedyedgeraggedyedge Posts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not as easy as OTA, but the YouTube picture in picture makes the upgrade worth the effort. Backup and follow step by step. Google restored backed up apps overnight. I was thinking to switch to a Note 9, but I think a new battery and I am good for another year.