** SOFTWARE UPDATE Android Oreo (SD Card Only)** ** Axon 7 A2017U now on Android Oreo B20 **

Comments

• jtmackjtmack Posts: 59 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2018 7:50PM
    Email either late syncing or not syncing at all. Checked my settings. Auto sync enabled. Any ideas?
  • samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,214 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    jtmack said:
    samsamha said:
    jtmack said:
    I updated last night. and noticed a few issues. I'd appreciate if anyone could help. First, after reinstalling Google Pay, I no longer see my gift cards or loyalty cards in the app. Any idea how to restore these other than re-entering them all manually?Never had this problem with previous updates. And second, how can I change the shape of the home screen icons from round to square? Thank you in advance.
    To change the icon shape, you long press the home screen and tap Home Settings, then you will see change icon shape.

Got it. Thanks! Also, is there a way to increase their size so they're the same as in Nougat?
    If you are talking about the font size, you can change it under setting-->display-->font size and display size
  • kavleungkavleung Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jtmack said:
    Email either late syncing or not syncing at all. Checked my settings. Auto sync enabled. Any ideas?
    I had the same problem, but after I made the following changes, it seemed to have fixed the problem. Go to power manager, app power saver manager, select gmail, change restrict auto start of apps to "allowed" and turn scheduled background wake-up "off".
  • nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mouettus said:
    I keep reading on news sites about connectivity (4G/lte, wifi) issues but no info here yet. Anyone can comment on those? I don't care about the rest (well maybe battery life/overheating) but if signal is weaker than it already is, then it's a no go for me.
    No connectivity or excess battery drain/heating issues after the update. Everything seems to be same as nougat. 
  • nareshcn7nareshcn7 Posts: 28 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update: Scroll capture is working in other apps other than chrome browser. 
    samsamha said:
    jtmack said:
    samsamha said:
    jtmack said:
    I updated last night. and noticed a few issues. I'd appreciate if anyone could help. First, after reinstalling Google Pay, I no longer see my gift cards or loyalty cards in the app. Any idea how to restore these other than re-entering them all manually?Never had this problem with previous updates. And second, how can I change the shape of the home screen icons from round to square? Thank you in advance.
    To change the icon shape, you long press the home screen and tap Home Settings, then you will see change icon shape.

Got it. Thanks! Also, is there a way to increase their size so they're the same as in Nougat?
    If you are talking about the font size, you can change it under setting-->display-->font size and display size
    I didn't mean font size, rather the actual icon size. I'd like them the same size and shape they were in Nougat, although I have a feeling that's not possible. Thanks for your help!
    samsamha said:
    jtmack said:
    samsamha said:
    jtmack said:

Problem solved. Thank you kindly!
  • abozhinabozhin Moscow, RussiaPosts: 53 ✭✭✭✭
    Updated to Oreo, but how to enable Atmos for headphones? It works with internal speakers but not for ZTE's headphones.
  • alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    klev said:
    mouse said:
    1)Adaptive Brightness - too dark in low light conditions for my liking. I turned it off. Tried to recalibrate (could do that with Nougat) but nothing changes. Just On or Off....sigh.

Interesting comment about the brightness. Mine is brighter than it was before the update

I agree with initial poster, the Adaptive Brightness feature sucks. It is too dark and when you slide the brightness bar to adjust it just stays dark, Only way to brighten things up, you have to shut off the "feature".

Sadly though, since Android Auto has failed me several times with the A7 and things like this brightness feature has failed, I put the A7 back in the desk drawer and I'm using the much more user friendly S8.
  • chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    After a small issue that @DrakenFX was able to assist me with, I now have Oreo up and running. So far, I have not had any issues that I didn't have with the previous version (poor battery life, some heating). I believe that those issues are just the result of my battery declining. 
    Honestly though, if not for the battery issues I would most definitely use the phone as my daily driver!
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 34 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone getting weird feedback on camera recording video (or audio recording) after the upgrade? It sounds like internal interference. Can't seem to get rid of it...like the Microphone sensitivity was turned up to 199% with no adjustments available :(
  • scott779scott779 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 8:30PM
    Hmm, I went to ZTE's support page: https://www.zteusa.com/axon-7#support
    I do not see the B20 software?
    I only see the "Download" instructions for B15
    Have I missed the window of availability?
    If so, does anyone still have it on their SD card and willing to make it available to my Dropbox?
  • maverickmaverick NJPosts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 22, 2018 8:39PM
    I was curious to let my phone drain to the end... it just notified me of 5% and then without warning shut off a minute or two later... meh. tried turning it back on and it claims its empty.  
  • sirhc.csirhc.c Prince Rupert, BCPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭
    alfer said:
    Update went well. All seems to be working fine. 

My only wish is that there was some way to have an "always on" type of display. That and I wish the darn notification light was WAY brighter and would allow for color changing with notifications etc.
    I use the app Screebl Pro to keep my display "always on". It does get disabled every once in awhile with updates, but easy to re-enable and carry on.
  • sirhc.csirhc.c Prince Rupert, BCPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mouettus said:
    I keep reading on news sites about connectivity (4G/lte, wifi) issues but no info here yet. Anyone can comment on those? I don't care about the rest (well maybe battery life/overheating) but if signal is weaker than it already is, then it's a no go for me.
    To be honest, I only updated because the update stated that it had "resolved" connectivity issues.
    I am also still having some issues. It does seem that my calling capability is better? I previously had issues with dual sim and the sims not showing the same signal strength from the same carriers, and also people calling me and telling me that their calls are going straight to voicemail even after I had just had a call on that sim minutes ago?
    I updated last night, and since I have not been able to SEND a text message, from 3 different apps. I can receive but all the sent messages have failed???????
  • hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sirhc.c said:
    mouettus said:
    To be honest, I only updated because the update stated that it had "resolved" connectivity issues.
    I am also still having some issues. It does seem that my calling capability is better? I previously had issues with dual sim and the sims not showing the same signal strength from the same carriers, and also people calling me and telling me that their calls are going straight to voicemail even after I had just had a call on that sim minutes ago?
    I updated last night, and since I have not been able to SEND a text message, from 3 different apps. I can receive but all the sent messages have failed???????
    You may want to try a network settings reset and then verify that your APN settings are correct. Also, try with only one SIM card in at a time to see if that makes a difference for testing reasons.
  • mrjlturnermrjlturner Posts: 34 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mouettus said:
    I'm on T-Mobile in US, and use both 5Ghz & 2.4Ghz wifi at home, and BT in car. I haven't experienced any noticeable difference in wireless connectivity.
  • martinbowlsmartinbowls Anapolis, Goiás Brazil, South AmericaPosts: 80 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rasalon...can yiu check to see if you have sound distorion on yiu speakers when you lower the sound closer to 0.  

• DunkaDunka United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Rasalon...can yiu check to see if you have sound distorion on yiu speakers when you lower the sound closer to 0.  

I just played a podcast, watched a YouTube video, and played a music file and don't have any distortion sliding the volume down and up . I did it slowly also
  • scott779scott779 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2018 2:16AM
    Although the update has been missing since 10/22 from ZTE's official "Axon 7 Software Updates Area" (per the original post, page 1) I updated by finding the zip on another Android site. So for I've confirmed that Android Auto, Bluetooth, Music, WiFi, Hotspot, Phone calling, Texting (Android Msg's) Auto Brightness is fine for me, VPN & Cloud Apps all work.

Also, I use Nova Launcher Prime and I enable the aptX audio codec and speed up video rendering in the "Developer" settings.

Things I like: Granular Notification Settings, Improved Security, 'Daydream' style clock on screen when AC is plugged in (and an alarm is enabled), Overall Nuances.

Things I Dislike: Scheduled Power On/Off doesn't work.
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2018 2:12AM
    No Speaker distortion sorry. Oh and I posted somewhere else on the camera vs. the camera on the 7.1.1 or earlier build. Look for it. I posted it as a comment to the Fall Picture Contest winners in the Fall Picture Contest area here.
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Aerospaceman I hope you figure out who moved the cheese soon 😀
  • Buenas me podrian ayudar por favor no encuentro el archivo de actualizacion ayuda 
  • zip please help
  • could you help me I can not find the zip file

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    could you help me I can not find the zip file

ZTE support is working on getting the files back onto the website. They are currently unavailable. Check back here for updates. Sorry for the inconvenience.
  • kavleungkavleung Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasalon said:
    Hello everyone. This is my final thoughts on the 8.0.0 upgrade as I said I would post once I used the new Upgrade for a while after I finished setting everything up. When the A7 came out initially, there were so many reviews that hit the mark, that I feel we didn't need another one. Other than posting regarding specific issues, minus the Android feature ane visual changes, the phone was basically the same. So again, I felt no review was needed. Now that I have sent up my phone and have used it for a while, I can give a final review.

1St as I have posted before my phone is over 2 years old and have had issues do to the phone being 2 years old. Some of it was HW and some was software. With that said let me dive into this review.

The Issues:
    Obviously for now I will miss my Daydream support, back to Google Cardboard for now LOL. I do have less apps on my phone as  a result. Also there is nothing like Hiya installed and no app to speak the caller ID out loud vs. a ringtone. Again not the end of the world.
    Also some apps/games that I downloaded that didn't work well, were slow, or were crashing are not any more. YEA!. There were like 1 or 2 apps that either did not load or seam slower since the 8.0 upgrade but those are the apps themselves.
    My phone still does not hold a battery charge as long as it was brand new but it drains allot slower especially at startup with 8.0. In 7.1.1 I would turn my phone on from being 100% charging and when booted my phone would already be at 90% or lower battery percentage. Now I only get to at most 95% when turned on nice. No idea how much is a refresh. Other than the non daydream apps, Hiya etc. I have the same amount of apps running as In did in 7.1. Also the battery seems to last longer than before. In 7.1 I would be at 50% or less fairly quickly. Now it gets to maybe the 70's percentage wise before battery drain slows down.
    Charging, that is a HW issue I think as the port does seam pushed in. The phone definitely does not fast charge as the phone did brand new, But the phone does charge faster. In 7.1 when my phone was maybe at 40% charge when off charging, my phone now with 8.0 is at 60% charge. Still takes 6-7 hours from 0-100% when off charging but it does seam a couple of hours faster. Charing when the phone is on when 7.1.1 was installed was impossible as my phone would drain vs. charge even when said it was charging. Not the case in 8.0.0. Charges as expected but still slow compared to QC3.
    Wifi works again. It worked before but it wouldn't stay connected to 1 network very long. Plus if I had multiple Wifi networks listed for a place, the phone would switch between the networks and make me login at least if I have to say ok on a webpage every time. Now my A7 just stays connected.

Now for the Non Issues:
    The skin/launcher is way more stock than before. I have played with the Kin on Pixel phones and other than a few things, it is almost there. The main 2 differences I have noticed between this and the pixel launcher are the following, No Google dedicated Now screen to the right, No noticeable option to not add new application icons to the desktop when installed, The addition of some gestures like shake for Flashlight etc., MI-POP on screen button option, and since the home,back,and task buttons are not on screen buttons, the ability to switch from left-right is helpful. Other than that, I could be hard to tell a difference. Except for Skin and background options. Oh and you can enable ZTE's lock screen. As far as the default apps, minus ZTE stuff in the settings, other than Calendar and maybe a little in the dialer, the Messages app and the Contacts app seams stock. Now I know they are called something different for download in the play store as Messages is called Messenger etc., in a Google Pixel, Messenger is called Messenger and Contacts looks exactly the same as well to me.

Now this may be the same 8.0.0 build that ZTE was going to publish in April moving from Beta to Final, but it does have a JUly security patch which was not around in April. Plus I know last years Samsung phones, Note 8/S8/S8+ are still on 8.0.0 as well with some having a security patch still from May or June as an example. The LG6 is still on 8.0.0 with a older security patch than ours, and that phone is only 1 year old. I think once ZTE gets to where it was before the ban as far as US support and all that, I think ZTE had a better record than except for Hauwei, Sony, and maybe Motorola as far as fixes/upgrade with a Unlocked phone as far as speed is concerned of these upgrades and updates in my opinion.

Now minus what I already posted again I would say my phone is revived. I like the new version of Dolby Atmos and now access to the Qualcomm Sound Mixer in some apps just adds to it. Speakers sone the same or slightly better than before, and my bluetooth headphones do sound a little better between the 2 mixers. Other than what I am willing to deal with software wise mentioned above, whether it be the battery or the pushed in charging port. If the phone battery QC3 charged like it's brand new, and drained as slow as the phone did when the phone did when it was brand new, then I would be set for now. I live in Atlanta Georgia and use my phone as my daily driver, so I can't really be without it. So I don't want to send it in any where. I am not in a place to do the work on my phone myself. So if anybody knows/recommends a guaranteed place in Atlanta Georgia where I can take my phone in to get the QC3 charging and battery repair, where I could pick the phone up the same day possibly, that would be great. I do like the new charging while off screen. I do wish the clock there was 12 vs. 24 hour but again, nitpick.

Conclusion: Yes the phone is 2+ years old with 2+ year old processor and other HW/Specs., and the phone by design (metal body) as an example is missing some modern conveniences like Wireless Charging as a result, but at the time this phone came out, that stuff like that was in it's infancy as far as development and widespread use. But I am happy with it. Unless something good enough, cheap enough comes out that I would want to buy whether it be another ZTE like a A9/Pro for the USA or another phone with Flagships Specs, or if I unfortunately can't wait, maybe even another phone that is coming out from a 3rd party like ZTE, which I will only do if my phone acts up enough and not worth repairing, I am happy as is. But if I can afford it, I will upgrade when a ZTE comparable replacement is available and make this a backup phone. If you like my assessment, please like, and let me know if you have any questions or comments. Especially if you know of a repair place in Atlanta Georgia. Thanks for reading my final review.

You can change time format to 24 hr under system, date & time.
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @kavleung I was referring to the time on the screen when the phone is off charging. Not when the phone is on. I don't think you can change the clock on the screen that the phone shows when it is charging when off. Now if there is an app for that (Weather the phone needs to be rooted or not), maybe, But it's not really worth it to me and more of a NitPick. Unless somebody knows something otherwise, I am not going to worry about it.