Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

What Messaging App is your default / go to

2»

Comments

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I still use Textra as my go to SMS/MMS app. It's never let me down and is very customizable. Since some people I know have (cough cough) Apple devices, we use Hangouts for that. Can't stand Facebook Messenger. And Skype's latest update is terrible. So many ways to communicate and everyone seems to use something different :)

• TeresaTeresa East Central PAPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

Facebook and hangouts are most used.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova just wanted to let you know that I have been using the YAATA messaging app and I really like it!! Thanks for the tip!!

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@coldheat06 said:
    @kidnova just wanted to let you know that I have been using the YAATA messaging app and I really like it!! Thanks for the tip!!

Cool, I'm glad you like it. I still get the annoying attachment issue on occasion, but other than that it's a really solid app.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm currently using Android Messages, but I still love Textra and will occasionally switch back to it just because it's that great.

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use textra. You honestly cannot go wrong with it

• jodymercier1975jodymercier1975 Joplin, Mo, usaPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭✭

I go with the Google. Messenger for stickers if I'm talking to my gf

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow good question. Lately it has been Facebook's messenger. its fully integrated everywhere.

• MyhrddinMyhrddin United StatesPosts: 21 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe I misunderstand but, I like using Google Voice to send messages with. Ok, maybe I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this area.. *grins But, I've used gVoice since much longer before I had a "Smart Phone" to use it with.. with my landline when it kept me from having to pay long distance rates on calls.
    As a sidenote, I understand that Google Messenger is soon going to become a quite advanced app, with even the ability to pass funds around between friends & family.. and more. I wish that I could set one app as the default and it'd be used whether something came & went on the phone's number or my gVoice number. Currently, that is what I find the most distressing.. having to periodically check the Axon 7 mini's built-in app to see if I missed anything. (I tend to shut off most notifications since otherwise they kinda make me crazy). ...Thoughts.?

I was not sure if you meant an app like Google Voice or, one of those other ones that so many people use which require both parties to have installed to work. I think one is called whatsapp maybe.. So, was not sure whether it was about one of those or regular text messaging.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been a Facebook messenger person just because that is where everyone I need to talk to is. I am glad they finally brought video calling to the messenger lite app, so I switched to that. The regular one is very bloated and I hate those stupid chat heads they want on by default. LOL

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jasonscarter said:
    I have always been a Facebook messenger person just because that is where everyone I need to talk to is. I am glad they finally brought video calling to the messenger lite app, so I switched to that. The regular one is very bloated and I hate those stupid chat heads they want on by default. LOL

I like the chat heads.

Really? That's cool, just not a feature I like. FB said they are trying to remove the bloat from the full fledged client, so I may go back to it when that happens. Lite is serving me well so far.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Google Messenger as the stock one can't handle everything. For Live and Video Chat Google Hangouts. Outside of that I only use What's App or KiiK someone insist I use that for chat. Same with Skype. Otherwise I also have Steam Chat and IRC installed as well.

I've heard that they are working on a much advanced version of Google Messenger to release soon. Aside from having stickers and animated bits, you're supposed to also be able to send money to friends, etc and other group & scheduling or event bits too. Should be interesting to see how it works when they release it... providing they haven't already. (It's not one I generally start up since out of habit, I usually call or send a text msg.) ;-)

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Due to the volume of my friends and family that use FB Messenger pretty much exclusively, I've ventured back over to the dark side and re-installed it. It's easy to keep in contact with everyone but the app is just a battery sucking nightmare... which is why I Greenify it when I'm not using it.

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sort of skimmed through the responses but thought I would toss in my two cents.

I use YAATA for my texting needs. I used Hangouts forever, until Google shot it in the head. I went to Textra and then ended up with YAATA. Both Textra and YAATA are great (I bought the paid versions of both) but YAATA just feels better to me.

• trottertrotter United StatesPosts: 164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@texasmade1 said:
    Due to the volume of my friends and family that use FB Messenger pretty much exclusively, I've ventured back over to the dark side and re-installed it. It's easy to keep in contact with everyone but the app is just a battery sucking nightmare... which is why I Greenify it when I'm not using it.

I use Friendly for my Facebook needs. Friendly has messaging built into it so I have no need for FB's bloatware.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@trotter said:

@texasmade1 said:

I use Friendly for my Facebook needs. Friendly has messaging built into it so I have no need for FB's bloatware.

I am also a Friendly user for facebook. Then I don't need the facebook app or the facebook messenger app.

@texasmade1 said:

You're braver than I am. I'm afraid I locked my FB acct (since it seemed almost impossible to close it) ..back before Thanksgiving in 2017. I've not gone back again since. And, yeah, it sure seems like almost everyone I know logs in there more often than anywhere else.

• Vallely111Vallely111 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

Textra without a doubt.

• debrasworlddebrasworld Blogger/Influencer United StatesPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Facebook messenger some times Hangouts and regular text message depends on the person 
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    For Text messages on my A7 I used messenger what I downloaded from the Google App store. The Default separate downloaded google text messenger. Now that I upgraded my A7 to 8.0.0 the default messenger is pretty much the same so I just use that. For a Chatting app, I don't do allot of real time chat with anybody usually outside text messages. I do have friends and family all over various social media so I have like the basic Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, etc. But not for live chat. The only really live chat app I use is for my friends on Steam. I don't have anybody on Hangouts, otherwise I would use that as well. Same with Duo and Allo which I also have installed.
This discussion has been closed.