Using the Axon 7 For Over 2 Years!

2»

Comments

• wileyworldwileyworld Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

2 years plus for me, my daily phone the whole time. It's been great- stayed stock so I wouldn't lose any features like Google pay, etc. Love the mi pop screen button + Action Launcher.
    I resolved a recent charging issue with a new, shorter, heavier cord, which solved intermittent connection/non QC3, slow charge problems. I had switched out the original USB cable with a longer aftermarket one, but I understand that we should use shorter cords for quicker charging.
    I'm considering a factory reset to see if software is increasing battery drain, before risking a battery replacement. I await security patches more than Oreo. I'm not sure what Oreo will add. Action launcher seems to bring the latest interface tweaks right to my 7.1 OS, and they are cool and keep me feeling up to date.
    With all the great hardware & memory/huge sd capacity, I must say I don't see new killer features that drive me off my Axon 7. And who else has such great Atmos, dual speaker sound?
    Maybe someday 5g WiFi, combined with super cheap data plans will drive me to a newer device, but I expect that to be at least a year or 2 away. I'm now living on less income, & cheap- still have another year of extended warranty through my credit card- maybe this fine phone will let me cruise thru another 2 years? That would mean hardware coats of about $115/yr (if new battery install costs me about $60, as I read in another thread here). Combined with my Mint Mobile service @ $15/mo., I feel pretty good.

Long live my Axon 7!

• sboumasbouma United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    I've had my Axon 7 since 2016 when I bought it specifically for its early Daydream support.  Performance has degraded painfully lately: super slow and janky.  So 2 days ago as a last-ditch effort I went through the (considerable) pain to unlock/root/flash it with the very newest version of Android Pie (via the lineageOS custom ROM).  I LOVE IT!  Performance is incredibly smooth, Google's new Digital Wellbeing works perfectly (including full access as an app).  Plus, with full Treble support, future updates should be smooth enough that I'm planning to keep using this phone as my daily driver for the foreseeable future.  Battery life is the only thing that's not improved, but given everyone's comments above I'm thinking of replacing the battery and seeing how long I can keep this phone going strong.
  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    sbouma said:
    I've had my Axon 7 since 2016 when I bought it specifically for its early Daydream support.  Performance has degraded painfully lately: super slow and janky.  So 2 days ago as a last-ditch effort I went through the (considerable) pain to unlock/root/flash it with the very newest version of Android Pie (via the lineageOS custom ROM).  I LOVE IT!  Performance is incredibly smooth, Google's new Digital Wellbeing works perfectly (including full access as an app).  Plus, with full Treble support, future updates should be smooth enough that I'm planning to keep using this phone as my daily driver for the foreseeable future.  Battery life is the only thing that's not improved, but given everyone's comments above I'm thinking of replacing the battery and seeing how long I can keep this phone going strong.
    I didn't know the Android Pie update for Lineage was out! Guess I'll be flashing the phone this weekend 
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool. Unless there is a major Bug I doubt the A7 will get any more software updates from ZTE. Not even 8.1 or a newer security bullet patch .I mean phones like from Samsung from last year are still on 8.0.0 still like the S8/S8+/Note8. I know there is no product treble in this phone as ZTE would want to control the updates themselves. As far as I know at least for the A7. I know ZTE is working on a US version of the A9 Pro whatever that looks like, and when that comes out assuming they use a similar stock+ like the A7 Oreo update has as far as a launcher, I bet it will be at least 8.1 with Pie on the way, or it may come out with Pie. Who knows. Point is, if they treat the A9 US variant like they did the A7, then we should have a 2 year passport support which will give us latest Android 9.x.x with security patched and Android 10 or 11, meaning Android Q and R. At leastl east. see what ZTE does next as they slowly make a comeback in US consumer sales and what Android/Google does after 9.0 Pie as far as the next Android version or two.
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine on December 2016, still working ok, with the daily use, but the battery life is suffering, used to last all day, now I have to recharge twice a day (I'm a heavy user) and had the problem with the screen (when have the screen goes gray), but nothing a good punch in the face won't fix (I punched the screen and it worked, really).
    Just updated to Oreo 8.0 with the official release and it's going great, now I need to replace the battery, but I'm living in South America and can't find it here, since the phone was never released for these market (I'm gonna need to wait until my next trip to the US).
  • frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 1, 2018 12:45PM
    Long time no talk guys.  I am still around just more in cryptonow.  
    i did a quick outlook of the Axon 9 at mark 42:09 
    the rest of my podcast is crypto and gaming.  
  • hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Long time no talk guys.  I am still around just more in cryptonow.  
    i did a quick outlook of the Axon 9 at mark 42:09 
    the rest of my podcast is crypto and gaming.  
    Good to see you are still hanging around @[email protected]!
  • saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Got mine on December 2016, still working ok, with the daily use, but the battery life is suffering, used to last all day, now I have to recharge twice a day (I'm a heavy user) and had the problem with the screen (when have the screen goes gray), but nothing a good punch in the face won't fix (I punched the screen and it worked, really).
    Just updated to Oreo 8.0 with the official release and it's going great, now I need to replace the battery, but I'm living in South America and can't find it here, since the phone was never released for these market (I'm gonna need to wait until my next trip to the US).
    Did you see if Aliexpress can deliver to you?

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20181101193907&SearchText=battery+for+Axon+7+
  • GeeknLonelyGeeknLonely ChilePosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 5, 2018 2:20PM
    saeedted said:
    Yes, they deliver, but I don't trust the the postal service here. I have made some small purchases, and 7 out of 10 are delivered, the rest is missing after the postal service recived them.
    I know it's not much money and all that, but since I'm traveling next year anyway...