What's the command for disabling system write protection in Oreo?

GodOfPsychosGodOfPsychos GermanyPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 25, 2018 8:20PM in Developers Lounge - Axon 7
As the title says, i want to know what the current command is to disable Oreo's system write protection via ADB.

Since Oreo "reboot disemmcwp" doesn't work anymore. Did the command get changed?

Comments

• DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @GodOfPsychos

* Are you Rooted?

" reboot disemmcwp " hasn't change but you need root to perform this command.

Otherwise you won't be able to get wp disable.
  • GodOfPsychosGodOfPsychos GermanyPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 25, 2018 8:44PM
    DrakenFX said:
    @GodOfPsychos

* Are you Rooted?

" reboot disemmcwp " hasn't change but you need root to perform this command.

Otherwise you won't be able to get wp disable.
    Nope, since oreo this command doesn't work anymore. Any change to any system file (for example build.prop) doesn't stick after a reboot because the system remains protected. It may first look like the file got changed sucessfully, but in reality it didn't change in the first place

Edit: of course you can use twrp manager to access system. BUT apps like root explorer, titanium backup etc don't work. So the system has still write protection when booted up in oreo. 

I dont understand why ZTE puts that protection there in the first place.
    I mean, IF the device IS NOT rooted, it already has system write protection. The whole point of rooting is to get system access in the first place.

So i think they really should communicate drastig changes like these more openly with the community instead of sneaking stuff in that way
    @GodOfPsychos

for starters write protection is there for user protection, 99.9% of the users including NON-ZTE devices prefer security/protection over anything else.

Now i have never had problems with modding system files (I use Solid Explorer) in any Official release from ZTE.

IF you 're rooted do this if not how you been doing : 

* Download "Terminal Emulator" from Playstore.
    * Open the app and type : 
        - su
        - reboot disemmcwp

like i said before never had an issue and modding build.pro with personal preferences is one of the first thing i do on any device i had. 
    edited November 26, 2018 1:06AM
    DrakenFX said:
    @GodOfPsychos

for starters write protection is there for user protection, 99.9% of the users including NON-ZTE devices prefer security/protection over anything else.

Now i have never had problems with modding system files (I use Solid Explorer) in any Official release from ZTE.

IF you 're rooted do this if not how you been doing : 

* Download "Terminal Emulator" from Playstore.
    * Open the app and type : 
        - su
        - reboot disemmcwp

like i said before never had an issue and modding build.pro with personal preferences is one of the first thing i do on any device i had. 
    Even on the latest official Oreo release? Could it be that you are using magisk and systemlessly modify build.prop? If yes then thats why it works. Because it never actually touches the system which would mean that the actual system is still protected.
    If not, them I'm completely baffled.

Im still using nougat as this issue keeps me from updating to oreo. This command worked on my first try on nougat. Yes i am rooted. And those commands did work back then (i know how to use them).

But now i have read quite often (mostly on xda) that "reboot disemmcwp" (of course with superuser privileges granted) apparently doesn't work on Oreo (neither on A2017U B20 or A2017G B02) for other people. Despite having their devices rooted. It has something to do with the bootstack zte put into oreo.

Again it usually worked for them before on nougat (as it did for me). But now despite using that command, every change they make manually with any root file manager doesn't stick after a reboot. Any modifications to build.prop (not using the systemless build.prop toggle in magisk) reverted back to their original values
    @DrakenFX any new information?
    @DrakenFX any new information?

don't have any, and i recommend you to check xda for any answer to your situation.