Regarding Updates

teji007teji007 DrIndiaPosts: 60 ✭✭✭✭✭
@Aerospaceman and other ZTE official, I and many other Axon 7 users just wanna know that will there be any more updates coming in future for Axon 7. Like OS updates or security updates!!

Please do reply and tell.
Thanks

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,626 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Only ZTE can answer officially, but based on what I've seen and heard form others, it is not likely that the Axon 7 will receive any more updates.
  • teji007teji007 Dr IndiaPosts: 60 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only ZTE can answer officially, but based on what I've seen and heard form others, it is not likely that the Axon 7 will receive any more updates.
    Thats Bad cause we already should be on Pie or 8.1 with latest security patches atleast. That Ban cost us very important latest updates.
  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,602 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    It's over 2 years old by now.  They did provide 2 years worth of updates even with the ban.  Far better than most other OEMs and devices.
  • pazdiegopazdiego Posts: 15 ✭✭✭✭
    This is my last ZTE device for shure, the last update its a F... JOKE
    So unprofessional, bye bye ZTE.
  • jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The business model of mobile phone manufacturers is to an extent understandable but in a sense quite bizarre.

They can all go the route of personal computer manufacturers and leave the management of the operating system - including updates - to its developer.  That would make, updatee, security patches and major upgrades a low-cost  (if not zero cost) undertaking but would also make integration of such, practically seamless. Based on what I have been seeing online, the vast majority of users prefer Google's pure Android implementation.  Very few have little positive to say about the often bloated, garishly-skinned and buggy customised offerings by phone manufacturers.

Yet amazingly nearly all opt for this unpopular model because they want to put their own spin on things.  They then become absolutely pathetic in providing timely updates ostensibly complaining about development, testing and deployment time and costs.

Newsflash dudes, few people care about your flavours of Android and most, if not all of the update/upgrade headaches, could be avoided by leaving the damn thing alone in the first place.

That would be too easy now, won't it?

• birkbinnardbirkbinnard United StatesPosts: 117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think jazzi is correct. Most reasonable people want simple functionality  at a reasonable price. The tendency of manufacturers to differentiate their products with the intent of making them seem somehow better almost always backfires. Of course there will always be some people who just have to have some whiz-bang proprietary feature, but I'm not in that group. I just want the darn thing to work. 

Fortunately my A7 (US version) is still working fine. I've read about numerous problems with the SD card upgrade, so even though I could do it I'm not going to. At some point - probably fairly soon - I'll just retire my A7 and switch to the OnePlus 6T. That seems to be the closest thing to a reasonably priced/reasonably featured straight-forward phone.
  • jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, my A7 (like yours birkbinnard, is a USA version) will be 2 years old in January 2019.  Where Operating Systems are concerned, I like cutting edge/bleeding edge versions as much as the next guy.  However like you, I have decided (for now at least) to stick with Marshmallow (version 7.1.1) until it becomes unusable or I switch to another device, likely an LG V-something.

I am resigned to the realization that this Marshmallow version will receive nothing else from ZTE.  It still works fine so I am not bothered.  I have no desire also to go through the tedious process of migrating to a new OS, customising settings to my liking AND re-installing all my current apps.  I have not seen or heard anything tantalising enough about Oreo to endure that sort of torment. On the contrary, I have read some stories of users with devices that were fine before, experiencing issues after the Oreo upgrade.  These have been in the minorty to be fair.  If it was an over-the-air drop-in Marshmallow replacement (as was the case from Lollipop to Marshmallow) then the switch would likely have been a no-brainer.  However at the moment, there is no compelling reason to take the plunge.

• abozhinabozhin Moscow, RussiaPosts: 53 ✭✭✭✭
    it will be great to receive one more maintenance update with bug fixes and security updates.