Nubia Red Magic Mars coming to the US (and Europe) on January 31, 2019

toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 8, 2019 4:43AM in Rumor Mill
Pricing will start at $399 for the 6/64 GB entry-level model. Higher-spec'd models with 8/128 GB and 10/256 aren't official yet but may also be coming too.
It's great to see a new mid-range/higher-end device being offered in the US again and at a very competitive price. Hopefully the US will also get a true successor to the Axon 7 soon too.

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nubia and ZTE are separate companies again, and have been for a while.  Not a ZTE device.

And why Nubia decided this was the device to bring to the USA market I have no idea.  Dedicated gaming phones are a very small market, and without a carrier, my opinion is it will sell very poorly because no common person knows who Nubia is, and isn't in the market for a gaming phone.

It's no mass market device like the ZTE Axon series.
  • toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 8, 2019 5:21PM
    Nubia and ZTE are separate companies again, and have been for a while.  Not a ZTE device.

And why Nubia decided this was the device to bring to the USA market I have no idea.  Dedicated gaming phones are a very small market, and without a carrier, my opinion is it will sell very poorly because no common person knows who Nubia is, and isn't in the market for a gaming phone.

It's no mass market device like the ZTE Axon series.
    I'm aware ZTE and Nubia are not the same company. However, Nubia started as a subsidiary of ZTE in 2012 before becoming an independent company in 2015. Then in 2017, ZTE reduced it's stake in Nubia to 49.9% so it's now considered an associate company of ZTE. Basically what I'm trying to say is that people who are aware of both ZTE and Nubia still correlate the two as being closely related to each other. Since Nubia doesn't really have a presence in the US or North America, I wouldn't be surprised if this upcoming Red Magic Mars was re-badged as a ZTE device instead, and possibly even given a revised name.
    I, for one, am happy to see this being released in the US. More competition is never a bad thing. Just because it's marketed as a "gaming phone" doesn't mean it can't perform well as a smartphone. As an unlocked phone, I believe this would be the cheapest SD845-powered phone in the US, under-cutting the cheapest version of the OnePlus 6T by $150.
    I wouldn't exactly call the ZTE Axon series mass market either as those devices too were sold unlocked (mostly online stores with the exception of Best Buy), compatible with only GSM networks, and unavailable in carrier stores.
  • fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,120 mod
    I for one am looking forward to seeing it come to the U.S. market regardless of what label is on the phone.   ;)
  • toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2019 2:03AM
    This article presents most of the same information but they did include that there's a dedicated website for just Red Magic phones and information (https://redmagic.gg/pages/mars). At the top where it asks you to select your location, there's Europe, United Kingdom, and Other Regions. After selecting "Other Regions" and scrolling down, it shows that the 8/128 GB mid-level variant will cost $449, which I feel is very reasonable. No word yet on the price for the 10/256 GB top-of-the-line variant. For those who are interested, the site allows you to put in your email to be notified about pre-ordering it.
  • fzrrichfzrrich United States Posts: 4,120 mod
    @toyguy22 Thanks ;)