Who Benefits From 5G

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,920 admin
5G is more than just the next step in wireless. 

What industries do you think will benefit the most from 5G?

Let's start the discussion!

Comments

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The obvious answer would be cellular service providers and customers will benefit the most. But once 5G is fully in play and widely available, it will affect so many additional industries. From car makers and appliances to medical and education. 
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Working in agriculture we will see real benefit from improved connectivity and data speeds in rural locations. 
  • runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,217 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think the auto industry will benefit with more autonomous technology running on faster cellular network. Consumer phones that run on LTE is more than sufficient right now in my opinion.
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Anybody who wants for their home or business despite the industry, the speed of Wifi without wifi. I know Agriculture and Auto's weer mentioned but anybody who needs faster than 4G+ on the go would benefit. Not just for mobile but anything. Some people think 5G would/could replace Wi-Fi. Maybe down the road as infrastructure gets worked on and security for 5G networks gets more secure. Forget potential. When 5G hits real world and people are actual giving true benchmarks in the wild of what it can actually do, then we'll see if it could replace wifi in a home or business directly. As far as those industries mentioned here, the same I think.
  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Law enforcement.  Ability to stream bidy cams and dash cams to supervisors who can monitor dangerous or critical situations from a far.  
  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone want a pieces of 5G pie. I think the most immediate benefit would be media streaming service. It seems to me that cars/auto industry maybe one of the area that would benefit and most actively trying to incorporate some sort of connectivity. I can also see it in the healthcare industry as well. 
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,524 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 4:18PM
    I have to admit I am not sure what industries will benefit the most by 5G. I think within the next few years it is going to have a big impact on all of us. I'm having fun reading everyone's comments on it.
    :smiley:
  • mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    NOT cellular.  TV and streaming services like netflix and others.  People seem to think 5G is about phones, and that really not the case.  It's much bigger than that.  If we get 5G rolling in the next few years, TV providers are in trouble.  Some people have stop using cable or satellite services, but there are a TON of people still on it getting ripped off.  So once 5G gets in place, we look to pay less hopefully for more premium viewing pleasures.   
  • swehesswehes Project Manager United StatesPosts: 110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healthcare Providers. Heard a lot and read articles on people getting sick around 5G towers. There was a firestation down in California where all the firemen got sick with a 5G tower outside their station. As soon as they took it down people got better. I don't trust the 5G technology.
  • razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel the most benefit will come to large scale mesh networks for infrastructure. For example, quickly setting up realtime traffic monitoring in order to spot contrast points in traffic and better solve those issues. thus making it easier to deal with individuals who take pleasure out of causing traffic jams.

I have been behind jerks like that on the highway in the past and their goal is literally to cause a traffic jam, where they will deliberately go 15MPH on a highway with a 60-70MPH speed limit and then if anyone blows the horn, they laugh. (I guess it is the same type of pleasure someone gets out of doing prank calls), It is easy to anger people on the road and some jerks can spot each other and create a jam and rubbernecking that can remain for a while even after they leave due to the expanding ripple effect.

Realtime anonymous monitoring of traffic conditions using various sensors that does not depend on a massive undertaking of running wires allover the city, can allow behavior like that to be spotted in real time and improve a country's GDP. The saying that time is money is accurate, people stuck in traffic are not being very productive, and time is not unlimited. Countries all over the world lose hundreds of billions of dollars in lost productivity due to behavior like that.