End of 2018 Axon 7 user poll. Please reply with a corresponding number and answer.

rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|ResolvionUnited StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
  1. I have my Axon 7 on Oreo that works great. I still use it as my daily driver and plan to do so until my Axon7 breaks and is not worth repairing. Even if a replacement model is released by ZTE for North America.
  2. I have my Axon 7 on 7.1 that works great, with no plans to upgrade to Oreo, still use it as my daily driver and plan to do so until my Axon7 breaks and is not worth repairing. Even if a replacement model is released by ZTE for North America.
  3. I currently use my Axon 7 as my daily driver and it works great. I will continue to do so until ZTE comes out with a 2018/2019 Flagship equivalent for North America (like the A9 Pro they made for overseas) then I will buy the new phone and switch. If ZTE has no new phone, I will just keep using my Axon 7 as my daily driver until my phone has a not worth repairing issues and I have to replace it with......
  4. My Axon 7 which is currently my daily driver isn't working any more or not as it should do to age of the phone, and not worth repairing; so I have already replaced it with another Flagship Phone and that phone is.....
  5. My Axon 7 which is currently my daily driver isn't working any more or not as it should do to age, and not worth repairing; so I have already replaced it with a different midrange or Low End ZTE or non Flagship phone to save money, even though not as fast as a flagship phone (but fast enough for my use), and that phone is....
  6. My Axon 7 works great and is my daily driver. My opinion is that the Axon 7 is way to outdated of a phone to be using in 2018/2019 (and I couldn't wait for a replacement from ZTE) so I bought a different phone midrange or flagship to use as my daily driver and that phone is a ......., and what did I do with my A7? Traded it in (if there is any value), gave it to a friend or family member to use as a daily driver for financial reasons, keep it for yourself as a backup and/or wi-fi only device, or donated the phone to charity or something else?
  7. My Axon 7 works great and is my daily driver. My opinion is that the Axon 7 is way to outdated of a phone to be using in 2018/2019 so I am waiting for ZTE to announce a updated replacement for North America, and if ZTE does not any time soon then I will be buying a different phone midrange or flagship to use as my daily driver that is updated and that phone would be a ......., and what did I do with my A7? Traded it in (if there is any value), gave it to a friend or family member to use as a daily driver for financial reasons, keep it for yourself as a backup and/or wi-fi only device, or donated the phone to charity or something else?

Best Answers

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 28, 2018 12:04PM Accepted Answer
    If I knew how to make a real poll here if that was enabled, I would have LoL. To start off my answer would be 7. Nothing personal, but if ZTE do to whatever reason (their fault or not) can't release a Axon 7 flagship current replacement for the USA within the next...... (still debating on that), then I may move to something like the latest 1+ and keep my Axon 7 as a backup as I have no backup now in case my phone dies. As I have posted here in may threads (so I won't get into details), my A7 after over 2 years of use, My A7 is not acting like it should. Needs a new battery and a charging port. Since that phone is my daily (non work phone) driver, if I send it in for repair, I won't have a phone for however long it takes and costs to get the phone repaired and I can not be without one. Unfortunately where I live there is no local place that works on ZTE phones and I don't feel confident to do the repair myself. So as I posted elsewhere we'll see what ZTE does in 2019 despite what is still going on with the US Government etc., but me choosing #7 still stands and if I do follow through with #7 here, I will still stay and be involved with this great community as you never know what could happen.

Who is going to vote/comment next?
  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I'll vote for #2.  When my Axon 7 Premium dies it will be my first and last ZTE phone.  Buying a Chinese phone is fraught with too much peril at the present time.
  • jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 4:47PM Accepted Answer
    Number 2 (hmmm sounds like a "poopy" response :D) with some modifications.

1.  I may switch to Oreo for giggles if the A7 survives 2019 and I feel in a tinkering mood (I usually am).

2.  I will likely buy another phone before 2020 anyway (likely an LG V-something, a Nokia or a Moto) regardless of the condition of the A7.
  • 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    So I'm also someone who doesn't quiet fit any category. The axon 7 is still my main device and I will continue to use it until I end up with a replacement that's not worth it. For me, I've moved onto lineage OS and plan to stay with lineage for as long as my device is supported. I bought the Axon 7 to be more permanent phone choice that I wouldn't replace within two years. My plan is to use this phone for another 2-3 (maybe even 4 if there's a phone coming out that's worth the wait). It just seems kinda ridiculous to me that you have to pay $800+ (hell, even a $1,000 in some cases) just so you could use that product for a year two. 
  • landzonelandzone San DiegoPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I would have to go with #2. I really like the A7s and they are working fine on nougat. ZTE is a company that has violated US sancations and deprived it's customers of promised updates by committing these acts. A security update should be made available to those who do not want to side side load Oreo.  I have no confidence in this companys words. When I  need a new phone it will not be fromZTE. 
  • brydges81brydges81 ZimbabwePosts: 5 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    #4.
    Battery lasted a quarter of what it did out the box and general lag became too much to deal with. I really enjoyed my Axon 7 A2017U (it was everything I wanted at the time except the camera) although I wouldn't buy from ZTE again due to software support and general lack of effort once all the problems hit ZTE. I'm not an american or a fan of politics so I couldn't really care what ZTE got involved in, it was just unfortunate that the consumers user experience suffered as a result of this.
     Otherwise I've moved to OnePlus 6 and it filled all the gaps that I saw lacking from ZTE's part. 
  • dcwbisdcwbis USAPosts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I had been using my Axon 7 as my only phone for almost 2 years.  Nougat was working well, but I didn't like being so far behind with security patches.  Reading through the Oreo threads I got the impression that most of those who upgraded had a positive experience, but some others ran into significant problems. Plus, most seem skeptical that our Axon 7s will see any more updates - even security updates. 
    I also have signal problems at the house I moved into recently with my current provider, so I decided to switch service and get a new phone.  My Axon became my experimental phone for installing Lineage (which I love) and rooting.  It's also going to my guinea pig for opening up a phone to replace the battery (which is just about dead). 
    So you can say that I have moved on, but still like the Axon and it is my daily backup. 

• alferalfer Posts: 136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Axon was great early on, loved using it.  Then the whole China mess, now an outdated "update" that is broken, all that made me toss the Axon in a drawer.

I switched to an S8 which is an amazing phone but since my wife needed a newer phone I gave the S8 to her and bought the new OnePlus 6T from TMO.  Great and powerful phone.

Sad that the Axon died such an early death. It was a great phone that got totally boinked by a bad Oreo update and ZTE doesn't care about the phone any longer.

So long ZTE.
  • wileyworldwileyworld Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    Option 2. Just spent $12 on a replacement battery, 45 minutes installing it, and getting restored screen on time as if it were new (I did overheat & misshape edge of top speaker grill, but planning on getting it glued back down in place soon). I use mine very heavily, have far more apps than I really should have, and it still runs fast & strong. I hope to keep it for another year or two. 
    I'm avoiding Oreo update- (given up hope for fix-) no major improvements (other than security), and possible flaws, Daydream being broken, etc.  7.1 has been rock solid, full-featured. 
    If I weren't so happy with it I likely would've grabbed a discounted Essential ph1 a while back. Lack of regular security patches probably prevents me from gambling on ZTE next time. Love the hardware & mi pop on screen button, but stock os with frequent patches & os upgrades would be better strategy for keeping us coming back for next phone purchase.
  • beaugartbeaugart United StatesPosts: 126 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    2 and 3 for me. I have 2 Axon 7s. One went back to warranty repair (the day before the Passport Protection expired) and fixed for free. Hoping I get another 2 years out of that one. The other Axon 7 has barely been used in 2 years, and only started getting used recently while my other was in for repair. Pretty sure I'll get at least 1.5 years out of it.

I might also go with something else down the line: unsure as it would depend on whether I stick with my carrier or not. I've been looking into Google's cellular offerings but they require specific phones and I don't subsidize my phones. I always buy outright from manufacturer/unlocked, and the Google Pixel 3 is out of my price range.

I suspect it will be difficult to find a phone I like as much as I've liked the Axon 7. It's become my favorite phone ever (it beat out my previous favorite phone ever: the Motorola Z9). That was not an easy feat. :-)
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,594 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    I would answer option 1. I don't use my Axon 7 as my daily driver anymore but I do still use it. For me the Oreo update has made my device faster, I love it. I wish we were still getting security updates but it is going on 3 years old now. 
  • pickypenelopepickypenelope United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    The closest answer is 1. I updated my Axon 7 to Oreo, but didn't love it, so I stopped using it for a bit. Recently, though, I grew dissatisfied with what I was using as a replacement (a Sony Xperia  XZ Premium [which also developed a hairline crack from normal wear - ugh]), and so I grabbed the Axon 7 and decided to take the plunge and put one of the Pie ROMs on it (I landed on Liquid Remix). I love it now so much. It's so cool that even though I've had my eye out for a current phone that I might like as well, I can't find anything that seems as good, let alone better (I'm even considering hunting down a used Axon 7 premium for the 128GB storage). The Axon 7 has spoiled me, when looking at phones that I might get next, my musts include stereo speakers, headphone jack (preferably with a dedicated DAC), and MicroSD slot - oh, and no notch. It's depressing how out of step I seem to be with what most buyers seem to want, the best phone for me is a three year old device. Anyway, yeah, still love the Axon 7 and will use it as long as possible. If ZTE (or anyone else) came out with something truly comparable (in that moderate price point), I would upgrade, but until then, nope.
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    @pickypenelope, the only current phone that is close to the A7 as far as price and having front facing Dolby Atmos front facing Speakers is the Razer Phone 2. You might want to check it out, or have you already and decided against it?
    Accepted Answer
    rasalon said:
    @pickypenelope, the only current phone that is close to the A7 as far as price and having front facing Dolby Atmos front facing Speakers is the Razer Phone 2. You might want to check it out, or have you already and decided against it?
    I really want the 128GB storage (even more would be better). I considered the Razer Phone 2, but I'm really still loving my Axon 7 (and I was able to find a used Premium with the 6GB/128GB which is on the way to me). Razer may well be my next phone in a year or two. It would be a little easier if I was will to spend $1,000.00 on a phone, but I'm just not.
    Accepted Answer
    @pickypenelope, just keep in mind that the A7 128GB if it got the same update as the 64FB version will be stuck on 8.0 July 2018 update. If not then it may be still on some version of 7.0. Razer Phone 2 si on 8.1 with latest update and if not yet 9 Android Pie is coming. Yes one of the complaints of the Razer phone 2 is that it only had 64 GB internal but unlike allot of phones these days you can expand it pretty big. So is it the internal space more important to you or something updated more important. To me, both but if I had to choose, something more updated with a bigger battery works for me. But you like what you like, and go for it.
  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,810 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer
    My Axon 7 now sits in my desk unused.  I loved this phone.  I thad two at one time.  (One for me, one for my wife) .she loved it as well.  Sold one.  And kept one but the Oreo update was so late due to everything that happened last year, and no replacement device from ZTE at the high end I moved on.  It still works, but I don't use it now at all.  Hopeful a compelling ZTE device is released that brings me back.
    edited February 11, 2019 1:34PM Accepted Answer
    @rasalon, I'm already running Liquid Remix Pie on my 64GB Axon 7, and I'm planning on running it on the 128GB Axon 7 as well. Heck, I like the phone so much that I even picked up an Axon 7S from AliExpress for two hundred bucks that I plan to use basically as something like an iPod touch (the 7s seems like it'll be stuck on Android 7.1.1, but I did find an update to the January 2019 security patch on ZTE's Chinese site). 
  • Axon_FanAxon_Fan United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

Maybe #2: I have three (3) Axon 7's with one of them being a Mini. Bought them all as used (of course) only because the Axon 7 has the 4GB of RAM --AND-- has 64GB of memory. Sure, I could put in a SD Card to hold 256GB of more memory but 64GB is really plenty of space. I am only disappointed that the second SIM slot is NOT dedicated - it can only be EITHER a SIM or Micro SD card. Any way, 64GB is really plenty of space for me, so I use the #2 SIM for my AT&T unlimited DATA Only service that I pay $29.99 each month (total amount). I created my APN Settings for AT&T Broadband and turn on the Hotspot feature that's faster than my Spectrum Internet. What I also found out was, I can USB tether the Axon 7 directly to my Netgear RT-AC68U Router using the Merlin Firmware for whole house Wi-Fi -AND- the router keeps the Axon 7 charged, too. When I have to leave, the Phone would go with me along with my Laptop. I have been so dependent on the Axon 7, I picked up a second one along with a Mini version just as a back up phone. Maybe only use the Mini with the Router. The only reason I am using a 2018 version of the Galaxy J7 Duo is because my Wife has one now (I bought it for her because her Sisters have them for doing "FaceTime") and she always keeps asking me how to do one thing or another on the J7 Duo. So, I have to keep one handy to figure out an answer when her Sisters cannot help her. My Wife thinks the Axon 7 is too complicated to use. Now, if I can only get the Oreo upgraded to Pie, I can use other newer features that only work with Pie. I figure I can keep picking up old used Axon 7's for my repair parts for now to keep at least two good Axons working for the next few years. I have to admit, the Axon 7 is very hard to let go of.

• aprilfoolaprilfool CanadaPosts: 51 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

I gave mine away. It wasn't bad, just that I got a Note 9, which is a lot better. Also, I couldn't forgive zte for just leaving Axon7 users to hang for such long stretches of time. So the hell with them.