Dual SIM?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited States Posts: 3,953 admin
So we asked this question over two years ago and we would like to revisit your opinions. There are many reasons for a dual sim phone but the majority of users don't use it.

Here are a few scenarios in which having a dual sim phone is beneficial:
-Traveling
-Separate Lines (Personal & Business)
-Overlapping coverage

The question is:

Does having the option for dual sims sway your decision in purchasing your next device?

Leave comments below for any other scenarios in which you believe having a dual sim smartphone may be beneficial. 

Please be honest in your poll answers and leave a comment with your thoughts after submitting your poll answers. This is an anonymous poll.

Dual SIM? 21 votes

Yes
57% 12 votes
No
42% 9 votes

Comments

• syntapsyntap Washington DCPosts: 216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I bought my last phone I made sure it had dual SIM because I wanted to consolidate my devices from two to one (work phone and personal phone).  I found two things... first, dual SIM tools on the phone aren't great or seem to be matured... turning off the work SIM when I'm done with work should be easier than it was, maybe ZTE folks can include some easy widgets for that.  Second thing I found it I ended up preferring a separate work phone to turn off and put away... psychologically I like having a work device and a play device.

That said, I may change my mind and re-combine my lines again and I'd want that capability.
  • jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,770 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Duel sim doesn't sway my opinion at all.  Such a nich need, Sam is right in stating most people don't use or require it.

Understand there are those who do, but I think it's less needed in practice vs desire to have that option available.
  • rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I said yes. In case I travel abroad. However, I wouldn't have a 2nd sim instead of expandable memory. Now if my next phone does not do dual sim or expandable memory as long as it has enough internally, so be it. If the 1st or 2nd Sim or both are E-Sims as long as they can be activated the same as a regular Sim, so be it. I like the way the A7 does/did it. Regular Micro Sim Slot and the 2nd Micro Sim slot also doubles as the Micro Sd card slot. Where if you need Two Sims temporarily you sacrifice the Micro SD card slot. I don't think there is a phone out there E-Sim or not that has 2 Sims and expandable Memory like a MicroSD card slot. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. inice for someone who has 2 phone numbers and the 2nd number is not a virtual number like Google Voice etc.
  • samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Having dual sim will not sway my decision with buying a device because it is not the most important thing for me when shopping for a phone. However, I am beginning to feel that having a second SIM slot is a nice feature for both travelling or for those who have 2 lines (work+personal), and such to have. I also agree that Axon 7's implementation is nice (SIM or microSD).
  • runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual sim isn't a necessary feature for me, but it's nice to have the option. It's nice to be able to combine your personal and business phone line to one phone, but that is only if your company allows you to do so. Even then, if it's a dual sim phone, I would personally want it to work with all carriers, not just GSM (AT&T, T-Mobile). And when it comes to dual sim, it would be nice to be dual 4G LTE and not dual standby like the iPhone implementation... 
  • louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the problem with a poll like this on an enthusiast community, most of us here are interested in things like unlocked bootloaders, dual SIM, Camera2 API, etc etc.  Despite that, the vast vast majority of "normal" cell phone users couldn't give a hoot about such things.  I have a friend with Fi that I was trying to get RCS enabled for only to find out that it won't work on her phone because it is a dual SIM phone.  She was quite surprised to find out that the phone was dual SIM after I explained what dual SIM was.  This would be true of basically everyone I know. 

TL;DR: If ZTE wants to make a phone for enthusiasts, dual SIM along with a number of other things, should be included.  If on the other hand, the mass market is being targeted, they shouldn't bother with dual SIM.
  • dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I voted no. Personally I don't have a need for a dual Sim phone. I also think it would not sway the majority of buyers to buy it. OnePlus uses the dual Sim strategy and the majority of comments I've seen from their customers would prefer to have a single Sim and an SD card instead. I do think the combo that the Axon 7 has is perfect. Give the customer the option of dual Sim or single Sim and SD card. 
  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply put, I don't currently use 2 SIM cards in my phone, but if I had the need for it then I like having the option. I think it is a must have feature in a flagship device, but maybe not so much in a mid tier device. If I spent a lot of money on a flagship device and then had the need for dual SIM, but the feature isn't there, it would be disappointing to have to go buy a new device just for that feature, otherwise you are stuck carrying two phones.
  • chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no need for dual SIM so it doesn't say me at all.
  • wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like dual SIM, for business and personal
  • mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams CEO United StatesPosts: 464 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope not at all! End of story! 
  • wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I am now required to have a work phone with me, but I refuse to carry two phones, so dual SIM is now essential in all of my purchases. I almost got the One 6t on release day in the US, but the TMobile version lacked dual SIM.
  • martinbowlsmartinbowls Anapolis, Goiás Brazil, South AmericaPosts: 78 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If an when ZTE can get their premiere phones into Brazil, I would say two sim cards are a must.   Since it costs too much to call from one phone company to another, may people here have sim cards from more than one company.   I think the ability for them to put them in the same phone would only benefit your company.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to see dual SIM where in the style of the Axon 7's implementation. While not many people have a use for it 100% of the time, they are useful when doing the occasional traveling where a single carrier will not provide enough coverage.
  • coldheat06coldheat06 United States Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally iwould say No. The reason being is that I have a work phone and personal phone, at anytime my company can wipe my work phone or to lock it up. I would hate to lose all of my personal messages or information just because it is on the same device.
  • austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dual SIM for me personally isn't a big selling point. I don't travel internationally so it's a feature that I have never used. That being said, I do think it is a nice feature to have just in case I do end up doing any traveling.
  • testrattestrat Posts: 56 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 20, 2019 5:10PM

Mostly, I use the SIM2 as an expansion slot, for the SD card. BUT... I have used the SIM2 a couple of times as a SIM slot, and it was very nice to have when I needed it, AND that BOTH sims can be active at one time.. UNLIKE another phone (HONOR 6) where only 1 SIM could be active at one time. That was a PITA. I had sent my AXON7 in for repairs, and couldnt use MY sim in it at the SAME TIME. But, it is a cheaper phone that I only use as a HOT SPOT data/internet 99% of the time. So, DUAL SIMS was one of the reasons I DID buy the AXON 7, and that BOTH SIMS can be active at once..

• Axon_FanAxon_Fan United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭✭

Dual SIM is preferred for me. I would also prefer the dual SIM to be dedicated, too. With a separate port for the Micro SD Card. My only purpose for a Dual SIM is SIM #1 would be for my regular phone and SIM #2 would be for my $29.99/mo AT&T Unlimited Data Plan. Enable Data Only on SIM #2 and shut off Data on SIM #1. Create a Broadband APN to be able to turn on the HotSpot whenever I leave home with my laptop. I can then stop carrying my bulky Unite Explore because my Axon 7 handles the job without the weight or taking up space in my briefcase.