Why does my ZTE Z981 Shut off at 100 percent batter?

concept1concept1 FreelancerUnited StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

What's up anyone. I have been having a issue recently with my phone. My ZTE Z981 Shuts off saying that my battery is critically low even though it has been on the charger and says it's at 100 percent battery? I do use it frequently and mostly to play PUBG mobile 😀. I love that the phone has a decent size screen for the gaming experience but trubled that it turns off on me sometimes in mid game. Any help is good thanks.

Answers

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,954 admin

@concept1 Is this happening while playing PUBG and do you have the device plugged in while playing? If this is the case, the phone is most likely shutting down because it cannot allocate enough ram and/or is overheating.

This is a common issue for many devices with 2GB of ram or older devices in general while playing the game.

• concept1concept1 Freelancer United StatesPosts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

Not necessarily during the game. It's done it while playing and more times when I'm not. It's as if when the battery reaches 100% it'll stop charging or stay stuck at 100% but not actually be at 100%..

Have you tried let the device fully drain, charging it back up and then clearing the cache?

I should do that next... It's been fine lately up until today. It said it was at 100% took it off the charger, went to the store, then as I was about to text someone it went straight to 0% and turned off on me again. So once I got home I put it on the charger and it said it was at 32% and charging... Which is all strange to me. But I will try what you suggested.

edited March 3, 2019 6:49AM

So I did what you suggested and it hasn't turned off crazy like before since then. However it now takes a really long time to charge. It's been on the charger all day and it's just at 65%. It used to charge really fast before, now it takes all day or 2 just to get to 75% or over that but hasn't made it to 100%. Sometimes it stops itself from charging too and I have to check it, and if it stopped charging I have to disconnect the cable from the phone end and reconnect it to get it charging again. It's not the cable or the block that goes into the outlet.

@concept1 You can try a factory reset but it does sound like the battery might be on its way out.

Yeah the phone won't even let me go into battery saver mode anymore. That's strange. I really don't want to do a factory reset, but I'll consider it. How do I change the battery?

@concept1 Replacing the battery will take a little more effort and know how but there are some videos on YouTube that can walk you through it.

Being that the device is going over 2 years now it might just be time for an upgrade. The device also won't see any further updates. That is just my opinion though, you can proceed as you see fit.