How Has Technology Helped You To Take Better Care Of Yourself

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 4,037 admin

It is important to take care of yourself as it ensures a happier and healthier life.

How has technology helped you to take batter care of yourself?

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not one to use such things like health apps. I've tried them and it ended up more work than it was worth to me. I know my exercise does me well, and I do like to use my phone to listen to music while doing it, so in that regard it helps me a lot. I can walk further if there's good music to keep me going.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use apps to track my sleep, activity, and to monitor my sleep apnea. I find it helps me keep in touch with what is working and what is not in my daily life.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,210 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

i have used some wearable to help keep tracking the health, activity, and such. I think it works best for a person who is super dedicated and has a routine with their exercise regiment. I feel these sensors and apps are nice to help achieving a goal but it only works if you remember to use it (or wear the sensor while you work out:)) and since I am not super dedicated with my workout routine or I don't always remember to wear the tracker, it is hard to keep a good record.

Having said that, I really want a better sensor and tracking device and one that is more accurate. I feel that it would be something that would be useful for elderly where a simple and light device that they can have on them to keep track of their vitals. I feel this is where it would be most useful (and hopefully technology will improve in the near future where by the time we are all at that age, we only have to bring one tiny device like a band or our phone to keep our vital stats).

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have used numerous health devices and found that they help you keep track of certain things but in the end it just wasn't reliable enough and was kind of a pain. On the software side of things, I have used a couple of apps that help me keep up with my meds and allow me to log certain diagnostic results which makes it easier when I go see my PCP and he has his 1,000 questions. The hardware side has a ways to go, while software/apps are pretty good at what they're intended for.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use a wearable that tracks my activity. By hitting a certain benchmark this I gets me a nice discount from our health insurance company. I find this gets me to be more active. My last check up at the doctor showed improvement in my cholesterol level among other things.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use fitness tracking apps like Strava or Endomondo for all of my exercises. My Fitness Pal to track calories. It helps me keep my goals and when you log your food intake, it really hits home when you see how many calories that second IPA is. Barcode scanner through the camera makes it easy to scan things in.

Since Android Wear is a mess, I switched back to a Fitbit so I am always logging my steps and heart rate. Phone app always me to review my history.

Technology definably makes it easier for sure!

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Apps make it easier to keep track of data , find info at a glance and remind you of things. Plus you can chat with a Doctor, a Nurse, your therapist, a coach, and anybody else in real time. Those are apps, but technology enables those apps. Especially portable styf, whether it is a phone, laptop, tablet, wearable, or a watch that does more than just tell time or maybe the date as well. I am talking real time stats and chats here people. That is what helps you take care if yourself. If I were to put in one word how technology helps us take care of ourselves with all the above said? Accountability.