Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

5G Hotspot Naming Contest

ZTE ResearchZTE Research Posts: 13 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 13, 2019 7:14PM in Consumer Lab

Dear Z-Community Member,

You are invited to participate in our 5G Hotspot Naming Contest that runs from March 14th until March 28th 2019.

By participating in this contest, you will be entered in to the sweepstakes for a chance to WIN one of three $25 gift cards!

Here's how it works?

Step 1: Please read the brief introduction about ZTE's upcoming 5G Hotspot (below the steps); 

Step 2: Brainstorm and select the your proposed name or provide your own ideas that you think are most compelling with the products characteristics listed.

Step 3: Please leave your reasons and thoughts under this post.

This 5G hotspot device is a hotspot that can support up to 6.5Gbps ultra-wideband Internet access. This 5G Hotspot device will not only quickly and easily provide smarter, faster and more efficient 5G Wi-Fi service to a wide range of devices, including smartphones, computers, laptops, pads, VR and AR devices; but also, significantly reduce power consumption and extend the battery life of your devices.

Proposed names or your suggestion are in the poll below. If you select "Other" please make sure to VOTE for "Other" first and then leave a comment with your suggestion as this will count as your entry.

Best,

ZTE Consumer Lab

5G Hotspot Naming Contest 27 votes

GigaFi
14%
DoppelgangerDchuckbortaddwulfaCeToPhErA 4 votes
Blaze
59%
AmyXierazor512austin45samsamharuntohell121dnewman007louisdhollaptoyguy22underthehillrasalonwiseman13dlweaver2scottdoddgathejamaicansaucecnote 16 votes
Lightspeed
7%
coldheat06IHS5452 2 votes
OTHER (Please Vote for Other and Then Leave a Comment With Your Entry)
18%
awatsonjasonscarterskysaeedtedgreywolf 5 votes

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I voted for the Blaze.

For marketing, a description detailing some of the technical benefits can be good.

For example: This 5G hotspot utilizes a wider spectrum as well as higher frequencies at up to 256QAM, thus maximizing the amount of data sent and received for a given allotment of airtime. Furthermore, at shorter ranges, the use of spectrum >24GHz makes it possible for a single station to enjoy higher channel utilization by not needing to share airtime with as many devices and neighboring access points. Since wireless communications are still a collision domain, by having access to more spectrum, including bands focused on higher throughput at shorter ranges, more efficient communication with fewer frame collisions can take place. With the new ZTE Blaze 5G hotspot, customers can enjoy internet access without the endpoint bottlenecks.

Then users interested in optimizing their deployment of new RF equipment, the user manual can provide simple graphs that will allow them to save time by inferring more optimal locations to ensure that from the perspective of their own equipment, the available channels will have the lowest possible initial utilization based on their current environment.

Not sure of the full device specs but with the claim of achieving 6.5 Gbps, I assume it will make use of both the sub 6GHz band and the 24GHz+ bands, where the high frequency bands can be used to establish line of sight directional connections that can better support higher modulations such as those in the 256QAM range.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I voted for blaze. I like the imagery it invokes of speed and heat. I also like that it starts with a b like the blade series phone giving some familiarity to the name and linking it back to ZTE.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

i also feels that Blaze has a nice ring to it among the names provided. One thing that concerns me slightly is that it sounded a bit too close to Blade series of phones so I wonder if people would get them confused. However, I do agree with what wiseman13 mentioned that it starts with B and would help with people familiar with ZTE devices if they are already familiar with Blade series of phone.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE Speed Spot.

I wanted something unique and didn't like the other suggestions.

5G brings increased speed and if there a future versions you can easily go Speed Spot 2, Speed Spot 3 and not have to come up with a new name all the time.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

Voted Blaze, as 5G should be at blazing speed ;)

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    GigaFi

I'm a bit surprised everyone is picking "Blaze". Personally I wouldn't care what the name of it is, because the performance is what counts, and with a great price/performance package, it should sell well, even if it were called "Petrified Poop".

However from a marketing standpoint, "GigaFi" sounds really cool to me, and it almost sounds like a spinoff from 'Google' and/or 'Project Fi', and anytime you can make a product sound like it's related to higher end marketing brands, then it gets longer looks and consideration.

There have been some awesome products throughout history that never made it big for lack of marketing. That's harder to come by these days since any high quality product will almost always get the proper respect from reviewers and users, but any manufacturer of any product should always take advantage of every opportunity, including naming a product for success.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 20, 2019 9:24PM
    Blaze

I voted for Blaze. When I saw the name Blaze on the list I thought of ZTE right away, probably because of the Blade series of phones.

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

ZTE Blaze just rolls off the tongue. That simple.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,171 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I like Jason's idea for Speed Spot; I think it smart that the hotspot does not have a name similar to the Blade series.

I also propose the ZTE Ludicrous Speed Hotspot, because ludicrous speed is faster than lightspeed ;) You can even double down and partner with Ludacris to promote the product lol.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I also voted for Blaze, because I think ZTE Blaze sounds good (as long as it doesn't have any battery induced fire issues ala Note 7), but now that I'm seeing the Speed Spot suggestion, I'm also really liking that one, it seems even more descriptive but still nicely "marketingish" at the same time.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I am wondering which providers it will be compatible with and how long it will go on its battery?

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Could not even be intended for US market. Who knows at this point.

• dlweaver2dlweaver2 Hagerstown, MDPosts: 55 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I voted for BLAZE. The word itself suggests speed. Plus ZTE BLAZE does have a certain ring to it.

• aCeToPhErAaCeToPhErA (Learning and Appreciation) United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭✭✭
    GigaFi

Hahk. That's why I didn't make the choice of Blaze lol. Sounds stoney. Besides that, I see why it's going to win.

• cnotecnote United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭
    Blaze

Blaze is a wow difficult name for it

• cnotecnote United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭
    Blaze

Blaze is a name that just rolls of your tongue fits the network

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 575 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    GigaFi

I picked gigafi because I felt blaze sounded to hokey.

• scottdoddgascottdoddga United StatesPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I choose Blaze. It sounds good, easy to say, makes you think of ZTE, all of the above. A name can really make or break a product. Good, smart marketing with a great product and a great name is the key to success.

• skysky Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

My suggestion is luminous. The syn of blaze.

• greywolfgreywolf United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

My suggestion would be cheetah super fast.

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Zte blaze

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,155 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

How about:

ZTE Luminous Blaze Lightspeed Super Fast Cheetah GigaFi Speed Spot ?

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 66 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

I voted for Blaze because, as others have said, it rolls off the tongue much smoother with it being one syllable.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,364 admin

The naming contest will end at 9PM EDT today so make sure that you get your entries in.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United States Posts: 1,364 admin

Hello all. We would like to congratulate the following users who were chosen as winners of the naming contest. Please keep an eye out for a DM to collect your information to get your prize to you. Thank to all who entered!!

Winners of a $25 gift card:

@razor512

@DoppelgangerD

@saeedted

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,554 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

Congratulations to the winners of the naming contest!!

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

congrats!

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,951 admin
  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    GigaFi

@Aerospaceman @sshasan @Z-Community

What a nice surprise... Thank you so much! It's great to see Z-Community continue to be a fun place for ZTE fans.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,227 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Blaze

Congrats!