Tax Day Is Tomorrow - Have You Filed Your Taxes?

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 3,986 admin

In this world, nothing can be said to be certain except death and taxes. - Benjamin Franklin

Tomorrow is Tax Day (April 17). Have you filed yet?

If you haven’t, you still have one more day.

This is the second year in a row that I filed my taxes using the Credit Karma app for free. It’s as simple as taking a snapshot of your W-2 and filing in some personal information on the app. It took me all of 10 minutes to do.

While it works well for those with a simple tax return it may not be the best choice for everyone.

Did you use an app to file your taxes this year?

Would you recommend others to do the same?

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,811 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've used TaxAct for the last few years. It's just "ok" IMO.
    It was convenient when I used it the first time, and since I can have almost all my info from the previous years auto-filled in, I have just kept using it to make it easier.
    The software program makes it very difficult to find certain things.
    This year I had other issues with it too, so next year I might try something different, but not sure what.
    I do need something I can do itemized deductions with, so the Karma app won't work for me.
    I had mine done in February though.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't use an app to file this year. For taxes, I like doing them on a laptop or desktop. I feel that it's a little easier to make sure the information is entered correctly. I usually use TurboTax because they have all my info already and it saves me time not having to fill it out every year.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Past few years used H and R Block online free edition. Worked out well. No state taxes here in FL, so it's really simple for me and my wife.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,614 mod

I love the TurboTax commercials this year... monster in the closet was hysterical!

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,574 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I already filed through my CPA. I sold a rental property in Montana so I had to write a check and mail it in. :neutral:

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Mine are done. My father-in-law does them using TurboTax.

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 74 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to say my wife is my app. She does the calculations, I hope she doesn't ask me for any money.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use CPA, and yes I will be writing a check. :'(

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I had someone do my taxes this year... but the result was pretty much the same as what I did on Credit Karma.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

I alway use a CPA due to lots of factors and wanting to avoid o e HUGE headache! I hate numbers! Although I've heard some many great things about Turbo Tax and similar apps. Not for everyone, but I'm glad it's there for those who can use it.
    ;)

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've used my Uncle Accountant for my last two filings. I would like to file electronically by myself just one time for funsies. Credit Karma sounds like a good option.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Taxes done. I have a wife that wants the return, so fortunate or unfortunate as that may be for me, they get done early LOL :D

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,247 mod

@hollap said:
    Taxes done. I have a wife that wants the return, so fortunate or unfortunate as that may be for me, they get done early LOL :D

lol Easy come.... EASY GO ;)

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,768 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I just filled mine last night on the 17th..... about 11:15 pm...... I really don't like tax day.

I don't use an app not unless I know that I am getting a return. 😒

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Taxes really aren't that hard for most people with simple returns. Makes me wonder why so many people wait until the last minute.

@jasonscarter said:
    Taxes really aren't that hard for most people with simple returns. Makes me wonder why so many people wait until the last minute.

For me it's because I had to pay....... the government already takes enough of my money.... lol

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,364 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@coldheat06 said:

@jasonscarter said:

For me it's because I had to pay....... the government already takes enough of my money.... lol

I wait till last day, cuz I owe also

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,986 admin

It's TAX DAY again 😫... For all of you procrastinators, I highly recommend jumping on Credit Karma and getting them done for free! ✌️

Ya I should of.... but I went to Turbotax like a dummy...... 😔