No USB OTG on axon 7?

2»

Comments

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In that case, make sure the base of the USB-C port is not clogged with dust or lint, as power delivery only kicks in when there is proper contact, and some pins on the plug are shorter than others to ensure that certain pins make contact first, e.g., ensuring that the ground tabs make contact first, then power, then a few basic data connections so it can figure out what general type of device is connected, and higher level data to figure out if the device needs to jump into host mode since by default it is a not usually a host.

• rcx_6000rcx_6000 Posts: 10 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2019 12:07AM

I can see the 4 little metal tabs and it clicks fully. I cleaned it with a plastic pick and air, but no change. I also did a full shutdown and boot up with the usb checker plugged in just to see if it does anything and also went into the recovery menu (power and +). Same thing, nada.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

What happens if you connect a low power device such as a USB flash drive to the phone?

edited April 18, 2019 12:28AM

I've tried a Seek thermal camera, usb hub, mouse, keyboard, 8GB Usb 2.0 FAT32 stick, and an arduino through the power checker. Nothing powers up.

edited April 20, 2019 3:44PM

This is my Axon 7 running B35 and my friends Pixel 3 XL with no devices plugged in. All the devices that don't work on my phone, work perfectly fine on his including the usb-c to micro adapter that our phone comes with. The kernel support is clearly missing on mine.

I have confirmed that /system/etc/permissions/android.hardware.usb.host.xml exists. I have also verified that /system/etc/vold.fstab exists and contains "dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1 auto /devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host" but not "dev_mount usbotg /mnt/usbotg auto /devices/platform/mt_usb /devices/platform/musbfsh_hdrc" as most pages that show how to enable it on a rooted phone show. Not sure if it's the reason why. OTG Test for RF explorer also shows USB Host Mode Enabled which is probably just picking up the usb.host.xml from the permissions folder. I thought it could be a power problem so because my usb checker has a full usb and a microusb jack on it, I plugged the checker into the phone with a usb keyboard and a usb stick plugged into it in separate tests and plugged a microusb charger in as well to power the device and checker and still no device detected. Seems like the kernel support is the problem for sure but I have no idea how that could happen if it works fine for others. Can anyone with working OTG on an unrooted A2017U running the official 7.1.1 B35 build verify any of this? The diag tool that shows the kernel support is "USB Host Diagnostics" and it works with or without a device attached to the phone. Thanks.

I was poking around in /system/etc/permissions/ and there is a permission file called handheld_core_hardware.xml that looks like it has alot of android.hardware lines to enable various hardware features. Based on some guides I found online, some of them mention there being a "<feature name="android.hardware.usb.host" />" line to enable host features but it's not in the list on mine. Can anyone confirm if their phone has this line? I'm still leaning toward the kernel so I'm trying to rule everything else out.

edited April 21, 2019 2:01PM

Did a full EDL Flash with B35, still nothing lol. I'm out of ideas. Can anyone with working OTG confirm they are running B35(7.1.1) bone stock and share a USB Host Diagnostics screenshot with no device and with a device plugged in. I'm really starting to think my usb port is broken.