ZTE ZMAX 2 (Z955A) Stuck at "Checking connection..." After factory Reset

IG88IG88 United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

I bought this phone back in november of 2016, have never dropped it or spilled anything on it. This is the first time I have tried to factory reset it and it gets stuck for hours at this spot. I have tried resetting it again, taking the battery out and trying again, trying without selecting a wifi connection, everything I can think of. I have no idea why it gets stuck or what to do to fix it but i really need my phone!

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@IG88 try holding down the power button for about 20 seconds for a soft reboot.

• IG88IG88 United StatesPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

@sshasan After a soft reboot, I get to the same spot and it stays stuck. I also left it over night just to see if it would do anything. Nothing.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,362 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

After you factory reset, did you set up the phone as a new device or restore it? If you use restore, maybe try to set it up as a new device and manually update/install apps one at time to see if that would help.

@samsamha I assume set it up as a new device? It starts with the welcome screen, has me select language, then choose a network, then gets stuck. I can't do anything with it. if I get a notification I can click on it from the home screen and see it but the minute I press back I am right back to the setup wizard.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@IG88 did you do the initial Factory Reset from the settings menu or with the hardware keys?

If you haven't tried the hardware keys you should try that next.

Try to take out the sim card and microSD cards if you have them in the phone and see if you can set the phone up with just WiFi.

@sshasan I tried both methods to reset the phone, got the same results.

@samsamha I tried it with both in, both out, one in and one out, same results each time. I also tried to remove the SIM during the check to see if it would error out. Nothing.

I am currently working on something, if it works i will report back.

So. I decided to get my hands on android studio and use adb to just delete the setup wizard. I manually installed the play services apk, entered my google account information, reinstalled and updated the few apps i wanted to keep, and set the system flags with adb. I have a clean, 100% working phone and i did not have to spend half of what the phone cost just to send it to ZTE to have them "repair" it.

On a side note, I am overall very disappointed with this phone/company. The hardware for the price at the time was a 100% steal, but the support for the phone is downright atrocious.

good to hear that you got the phone to work.