Over heating

Lone_WolfLone_Wolf Old ForgePosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone else have problems with the AXON M over heating?

Comments

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I never experienced anything like that. Does it give you an error about overheating?

• Lone_WolfLone_Wolf Old ForgePosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mostly with normal use it gets pretty hot.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If there is no warning or crash then it's not overheating. It might just be getting warm, I only remember mine getting slightly warm during gaming.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I've never had this issue either. Are there any other things that are weird like battery usage low, or slowness? I'm assuming some app or process may be going wild on your device.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

It is totally normal for a phone to warm up during extended use, or even while using resource extensive apps such a youtube, or games. Many times a device can get quite warm which can be alarming for some users. Smartphone have the ability to cool down rather quickly, as well as sensors that closely monitor for excessive heat. If your device reaches temperatures that are above the safety it will trigger a notification for you.You can always post your temps here, as that will also give us a better idea of whats going on. If you believe your device is heating up, definitely use common sense.

• BirdzillaBirdzilla United StatesPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

I have ran into an overheating issue trying to run my mobile hotspot and charge the phone at the same time. With in 10 mins of doing both, my phone warns me of overheating with a notification at the top. I have been able to fix this by opeinging up the phone and letting the heat transfer into what ever it is laying on. Maybe try opening the flip screen to let it breath?

• Lone_WolfLone_Wolf Old ForgePosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

How does 101.48 degrees Fahrenheit seam for a phone?

• AnthonyTAnthonyT United StatesPosts: 3 ✭✭

My phone gets very hot from normal use like texting. It gets so hot that the metal frame begins to burn my hand. I feel that could be very unsafe. I have had them send me a replacement twince and all of them have done this.

• techman_hou_Axon_Mtechman_hou_Axon_M United StatesPosts: 8 ✭✭

Mine overheats, or gets really warm - but not too hot to handle. Very common when using it for Google Maps in car. I got the Car vent clip holder after having the phone for 4 months...and it helps as phone is under constant cold air flow now.

Occasionally the phone will get rather warm, but that is only after constant usage (> hour straight using Ancestry or FamilySearch for genealogical research). Often the phone is also plugged into the charger when this happens.

Regular and occasional usage it does fine, but I seldom use phone for extended conversation. Yet at least one call that lasted> 30 min, the phone was getting really warm (not on charger).

• slfields13slfields13 United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

The only time my phone will overheat is if I have it in direct sunlight. Other than that, never an issue.

• mmyeshiammyeshia United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    My phone overheats all the time this is the 3rd on I have had and it eiwi overheat just with normal use but I also ninotic it when charging in the car.
  • JaydatekJaydatek james dixon American SamoaPosts: 27 ✭✭✭✭

The only thing that really overheat on my axon m is a flashlight.

you should reset your operating system and replace the text messaging app with one from the Play Store as there is AT&T bloatware running in the background working in tandem with the text messaging app. if you're not using AT&T service try sending a text message and you would know what I'm talking about soon afterwards. AT&T texting Protection Service will keep popping up and will not stop if unless you replace that text messaging app with a text messaging app from the Google Play Store. a lot of AT&T bloatware running in the background of this operating system is draining valuable RAM, CPU and battery resource which is the reason why your phone is heating up so much.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

That's actually none of your business.

• jimreyesjimreyes United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

It get so hot I think it's going to explode, Yet the radiation that spews from the phone is VERY Dangerous. You should never handle a phone that is over heating. Extreme temperatures can have a big impact on your phone's internal components. A phone getting too hot can cause data loss or corruption, and repeated exposure to heat could permanently slow down your device. Heat can even cause battery leakage, potentially putting your personal safety in danger! I sent mine in and they are bait and switching me. So I am going to the Media and Press, I will do some PRWeb Distribution. Anyone else have any extra problems with this phone.

• tommytomatoestommytomatoes United StatesPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

@jimreyes What's the bait and switch?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With modern smartphones, the hottest component is the SOC, This rule also applied to newer smartphones that are using other high end SOCs. since the SOC can use a few watts of energy at 100% load, the design of virtually all modern smartphones, with the exception of some niche ones from Nubia, if yo use a copper heatspread, or an aluminum mid frame and copper heatpipe. That design used to allow the frame of the smartphone to act as a heatspreader. Since these devices are passively cooled, and have no internal airflow, the heat has to be directed externally.

If a smartphone fails to do this, then you will have either almost immediate throttling at full load, or even worse, the issues of some older form over function smartphones that will thermally isolate the mid frame from the outer case, and then use the battery as a thermal mass.

Here is a good video delving into the internals of the Axon M. While it is a more complex device, it is easier to take it apart enough to replace the battery :).

As for complaints about RF, keep in mind that the emissions matches pretty much every other smartphone on the market from companies like Apple, Samsung, etc.

Here is a link to the FCC test reports if needed. https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&applicationid=Rf3%2F%2FFzlUDQc8MgSn5DC2g%3D%3D&fccid=SRQ-Z999

When it comes to the RF side of things, phone makers are not really rolling their own RF, instead, it is common to just use the RF back-end that is built into the SOC, and then grab a tried and tested mainstream RF front end from companies that specialize in it, thus you will often see components from Skyworks and SiGe on a wide range of smartphones, e.g., you may see a top of the line smartphone from many major companies, all using the RF back-end from the Qualcomm SOC, and front end hardware from the same company. This is also why when you look at FCC test reports from a similar generation, you will see extremely similar RF results to every other major smartphone across a multitude of brands.