My Axon 7 is DEAD!

swehesswehes Project ManagerUnited StatesPosts: 110 ✭✭✭✭✭

So yes. My Axon 7 died just a few moments ago. Tried all kinds of different things get it back to life but nothing. So here is the question. I need a replacement. Any good recommendations? One with a Qualcomm 855 processor, without 5G preferably. And I do have an micro SD card I would like to use and I'm on T-Mobile.

Thanks.

Comments

• toyguy22toyguy22 United StatesPosts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 2:13AM

Sorry to hear about your Axon 7. I'm still using mine as my daily driver with its original battery.

Are there any other features or specifications that you must have? What is your price range? How soon would you like to purchase a phone - do you need it right away or are you able/willing to wait?

If your only criteria for a new smartphone are a Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, no 5G capabilities, a microSD card slot, the ability to work on T-mobile, and obviously being available in the USA, then these phones would work: Sony Xperia 1, LG G8 ThinQ, and the Samsung Galaxy S10 family (S10+, S10, and S10e). If you can live without a microSD card slot with all the other criteria staying the same, then the OnePlus 7 Pro and Nubia Red Magic 3 could also be possible options that are currently available.

In terms of phones coming out soon within the next couple months (if you don't mind waiting) then these phones may also work: Samsung Galaxy Note 10 family, Asus Zenfone 6, and ZTE Axon 10 Pro. If you can live without the microSD card slot and can wait, the Google Pixel 4 family, Asus ROG Phone 2, and OnePlus 7T Pro could also be possible options but those phones won't be available until much later in the year.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No SD 855, but the Pixel 3A and 3A XL are really impressive for the price. Unless u hard core game, u won't notice the drop in processor performance and the camera is going to be better than a lot of phones with a SD 855.

• swehesswehes Project Manager United StatesPosts: 110 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can wait for a little while. However my "loaner" has very little space and I can't have the productivity with it like had my Axon 7. I'm waiting to see what is happening with the Zenfone 6 on the 15th as it seems to have something going that day. My budget is limited and would like to keep it to no more than $600.

With that said. Just looked at the Nubia Red Magic 3, and that is pretty sweet without the MicroSD for the price. Can't wait too long but will see first what Asus has up their sleeve, and if it is longer I may go with the alternative.

I will take a look at those one as well. Thanks for the pointer.

So after looking at the Pixel 3A I realized I can't do that one due to the lack of 3.5mm audio jack. Unable to do BT for extensive periods of time.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United States Posts: 3,889 admin
    edited July 10, 2019 11:03AM

@swehes The Pixel 3a & 3a XL do have headphone jacks. It's the bigger brother 3 & 3 XL that do not.

Looked at it again and can see the jack now. :) They are kind of out though as they are still only 64 GB in space which is hard when having used over 150GB between internal and external storage on the Axon 7.

@swehes Did you plan on purchasing the phone unlocked or through your carrier (T-mobile) or does it not matter? So, the lack of a 3.5mm headphone jack is a dealbreaker?

The Nubia Red Magic 3 is an interesting choice. It is marketed as a "gaming" phone so if you're not big into playing mobile-games, there might be better overall options out there but it should still work good as a smartphone in general considering it's high-end hardware. Apart from lacking a microSD card slot, it's got everything else you've stated that you need. It's the cheapest available Snapdragon 855 powered phone and doesn't appear any upcoming unlocked phones will beat it in terms of price. Both storage configurations fall within your budget with the 8/128 for $479 and the 12/256 for $599. It's got what appears to be the most advanced internal cooling of any phone at the moment, a 90Hz refresh rate AMOLED screen (although it is only 1080p), no notch with small top and bottom bezels, dual front facing speakers, a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a massive 5000 mAh battery with 18W fast charging. Considering it's price, some corners did have to be cut though. Downsides are a lack of NFC, an unproven track record in terms of OS updates and security patches, and it is missing the newer T-mobile band 71 (it does still have band 66 though). Also, camera performance will be slightly below the competition and it's only a single camera whereas most of the competition is going with triple cameras (or even quadruple cameras) this year but photography isn't what this phone was made for so it's understandable.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,660 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Amazon prime day is coming up. Perhaps there will be some unlocked phone deals to be had.

@toyguy22 I buy the phones unlocked. The headphone jack is important as I can't really use BT headphones/earbuds. I'm having my eyes on Nubia Red Magic 3 and Asus Zenfone 6. So if the Zenfone doesn't come out within the two the two next weeks, I will probably pickup the Nubia. Wouldn't mind a phone that has a good cooling system, but would like to have the MicroSD, but it isn't a complete deal breaker. The camera isn't why I get a phone so that isn't a deal breaker either.

Thanks for your input. :)

• clarktccclarktcc Vero Beach, FloridaPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife and I are both on T-mobile and we switched from our Axon 7 phones to the LG V40 Thinq and really like the phone. Purchased from T-mobile. Battery is small but has great life and takes really good pictures. It was just updated to Android 9 Pie. I recommend this phone.

Looks nice. However the Zenfone 6 (if listening to the rumors) will be less expensive for newer hardware. Will think about it though.

If you're open to purchasing through T-mobile, the LG G8 ThinQ would be the much better choice over the V40. Currently, T-mobile is selling them both at nearly identical prices - $600 for V40 and $620 for the G8. I know you said your limit was $600 but $620 isn't too much higher and you would be getting a considerably better phone. If you were to purchase the LG G8 unlocked, it would be $850, which is an absurd price to pay for it. The only advantages the V40 has over the G8 are a 3rd rear camera (telephoto), a little taller and wider screen (6.4" vs 6.1"), a 2nd selfie camera (wide-angle), a more traditional speaker setup, and it's close to 1mm thinner. Advantages the G8 has over the V40 would be having the latest top-of-the-line processor (SD855 vs 845), slightly bigger battery (3500 vs 3300 mAh), having Android 9.0 right out of the box, a 3D Time-of-Flight front camera (for 3D Face Unlock, Hand ID, and touchless commands), and double the storage (128 vs 64 GB).

@toyguy22 Not really looking to purchase a phone through T-mobile. And don't like the notches that the phone manufacturers put on them.

edited July 11, 2019 12:28PM

@swehes I did see you say that you buy your phones unlocked. Since you said you'll think about the V40 when responding to @clarktcc I just wanted to point out that the G8 would be the better pick over the V40 at their current carrier subsidized prices. Purchasing either phone unlocked would not make sense.

I'm not a fan of notches either (no matter how small) or the removal of the headphone jack. I, too, like having the option of using a microSD card but at least with all 2019 flagship phones finally having a base storage of 128 GB (with higher capacities usually available too) it's something I can probably live without.

• clarktccclarktcc Vero Beach, FloridaPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not a fan of the notch either, but after having the V40 for a few months now I do not even notice it. I do like that the V40 still has the headphone jack and micro SD card. But I do understand the G8 and soon the V50 are newer and maybe better choices.

So was just looking at the Nubia Red Magic 3 again and didn't realize it is huge. I know it is a gaming phone but it has some pretty sweet specs. But being .35 inches away from a small tablet, I'm curious if anyone has any experience with that size of a phone like a Note or something?