12GB VS 8GB

x1tymezx1tymez United StatesPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭

I feel like the 12gb is just for show? Let me know what you guys think. I feel 8gb is good enough.

Comments

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It largely depends on the tasks that you do and how large some of the apps are. One design principles that most modern operating systems follow these days is that free RAM is wasted RAM since it is not doing anything. This is why you see a certain amount of RAM actively being used wile the rest is usually cached data.

While NAND technology is constantly getting better, it is still nowhere near the speed of RAM, thus the more you can cache in RAM, the more responsive a device becomes when multitasking. It makes it so that the OS is less likely to reach a state where it begins unloading assets, e.g., some devices with less RAM may unload some launcher assets, thus causing behavior such as a sluggish response to the home button being tapped. This is especially beneficial to smartphones since they cannot use virtual memory/ page file like a desktop PC can, thus they unload assets when available RAM is low.

While 8GB is plenty for most users, 12GB can further help if you like to keep multiple games in RAM, or do resource intensive tasks such as having a large number of browser tabs opened, or using sites which make heavy use of scripting.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I feel that for average user, 8GB should be sufficient. Though, with phone now is capable of doing more computational work when comes to machine learning, AI, software-based photography, 4K recording, etc, having extra RAM could be useful. Also, dual screen phones may benefit from extra RAM as well.

• x1tymezx1tymez United StatesPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for all input. I went ahead purchased 8gb version. I'm more casual user and since this come closely to stock Android. I'm happy.

• samsamhasamsamha United States Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

congrats! I am sure you would love the phone, The hardware is great and with near stock UI should not bug the software down so you should have plenty of ram for everything else.

• x1tymezx1tymez United StatesPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks. I return Asus Zenfone 6 for ZTE. Lack of B66-71 is deal breaker and other issue I can't find any signal inside Costco.