Android 10 - Texts and Data

Axon_PRO_10Axon_PRO_10 United StatesPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 20, 2020 3:11PM in Axon 10 Pro

Looking for your help & insight. Prior to this update of Android 10 I would get texts with photos "without" having to have mobile data switched on all the time. (I do it this way because I don't have a large data plan.) Now with this new update I can't get photos, gifs etc. without manually turning on mobile data. Also note: I didn't need mobile data turned on with my Axon 7 either to get photos with texts. Is there a settings somewhere I've missed to fix this? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• monkeygodmonkeygod Posts: 64 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep I have the same issue after updating to Android 10 and was going to come here and post it and saw your message. There was no problem with Android 9 but with 10 it keeps popping up a fail message for mms if I don't have data on already. Is there a setting I need to set in my APN now to get that auto feature back?

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure how this is even possible. MMS requires data and there’s no way around it.

Cellular signal itself cannot carry the data needed to download the pictures.

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you had some sort of APN tweak that tricked the carrier that’s only thing that may have worked.

• Axon_PRO_10Axon_PRO_10 United StatesPosts: 9 ✭✭✭✭

Correct it does use/need data, but it did not need to be turned on prior to the update to work. There was no APN tweak, it just worked and as I stated before I did not need the mobile data physically turned on in the settings, but I would get photos along with texts and there was data usage.

Well previously whenever someone sent me an mms it will turn on data automatically to receive it and then turn off after. So there never was a message stating I need to turn mobile data on. My service provider is T-Mobile.

• saeedtedsaeedted United StatesPosts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Try taking out your sim and putting it back in. Yourl might need the OMS package sent over the air

I went ahead and pulled the sim card and reinstalled it, still not working. What is a OMS package and how do I get it?

• maximusunomaximusuno Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, after messages app update yesterday my phone is working fine. I had the same exact issue and I'm TMobile subscriber as well

Which messages app are you using? I am still having the same issue with both the stock message app as well as textra. Did you make any changes to your app setting or APN setting?

• maximusunomaximusuno Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 25, 2020 10:35AM

Its weird... I'm able to get my wife's messages but not from other people ... I'm wondering if it's something with settings and chat features ... I'm using defaulted Google mess app already on the phone. I will try with Textra app. I had success previously with this app on my Axon 7.

Ok I tried Textra but it's the same thing and need to turn data on to be able to send the picture. Went back and tried messaging app and send picture to my wife with no issues over WiFi, but she also has Google messaging app and chat feature enabled on her phone. I guess we can send MMS to folks that do use Google messaging app with chat feature enabled in their settings.

Still not working for me. I'm using the Google messages app and it's the latest version. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app with the same result, still can't send or receive a text with a photo.

@Aerospaceman can you offer some info concerning this issue? is there a fix? Thanks

• AerospacemanAerospaceman United StatesPosts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I can ask R&D but MMS does require data. MMS shouldn't take away from your carriers data plan. I do not know why it would have worked before and now it does not. I can ask R&D, but it will take some time for them to get back to me as they are on holiday.

@yinli

While I am waiting to hear back from R&D if you are using T-Mobile below are screenshots of the APN settings I am using.

Thanks, but not using T-Mobile. I'm using sing Consumer Cellular.

I did some googling and this is what I found for Consumer Cellular APN settings with MMS in 2020. This is just a link I found and is not guaranteed to work and try at your own risk. Screenshot also pasted below.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,192 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have a theory, though it is a long shot. If you turn off "Chat" (RCS) in Messages, does it work properly?

Any word back from R&D yet Aerospace man? I still have no luck with the solutions offered above. It still wouldn't auto turn on data to send and received mms. 🤔🙄

I'm going to be honest. R&D is located in China as you can imagine and with the Chinese New Year being extended due to the Coronavirus and people told to stay at home I cannot give you any sort of time frame of when I will hear back from them. I can guesstimate in the next week or two but I just don't know.

Is there a reason you are keeping data off? Asking out of curiosity. Is it due to your plan from your carrier or something else. This issue is not prevalent so the more data about it the better to help R&D diagnose when they can. Thanks.

@yinli

• yinliyinli United StatesPosts: 357 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Aerospaceman @monkeygod Sorry for reply so late.. As you may know, now we are in a critical situation because of the Coronavirus, but I will forward this issue to our R&D and any news will let you updated. Thank you for your understanding..

It's mainly out of maximizing my battery usage. I have already have data and gps on when I am out half of the time so I want to preserve the other half as much as possible, especially given that it's doable before in android 9.

• karma99karma99 AustraliaPosts: 1 ✭✭✭

@Axon_PRO_10 I did some searching and r&d and found this url for the request you've created. [URL - https://apn.global/us/consumer-cellular-apn/] @Aerospaceman is right! you must try all this at your own risk.🤔