Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

After a period of time Consumer Lab Polls, Surveys & Discussions will be locked. They will still be viewable for historical data.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation:
No Current Research. Check back soon.

General User Experience Questions

sshasansshasan Staff MemberUnited StatesPosts: 4,041 admin

Consumer Labs is always looking to make the User Experience better.

Here are a few more questions that we'd like you to answer.

1.) Would you rather have the calculator as a standalone utility app in the app drawer or built into a combined toolkit?

(ie… Flashlight, Calculator, Compass)

2.)When you're on a conference call, how often do you tap the mute icon on the call screen to mute your line?

Would you prefer the option to mute the call be in the most recently used settings pull down menu (from the home screen) or is there another method that should be utilized (ie..fingerprint scanner)?

3.)Would you use a feature/app that could switch your phone on/off automatically?

Let us know the reasoning behind your answer.

Comments

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,241 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. I rather have a standalone app or widget (shortcut widget that is) to access to a certain app such as calculator, flashlight, etc. Having it all in the toolkit is nice and all for space saving, but can be annoying if you're just trying to get into a certain function within the toolkit. Or maybe have some sort of quick launch function from the notification area that the user can enable or disable.

2. I rather mute my calls, but if I have to, it should be on the calling screen. If it's related to a phone call, I would rather have all the options available on the screen that allows you to mute/unmute and add a line, etc. Would rather not see it implemented on the fingerprint reader as you were to hold the phone and have a back facing fingerprint reader, you can easily mis-click and mute the call by accident. Putting it in the quick setting/pull down menu is okay, but still takes time to access.

3. I personally wouldn't use it as I usually just put my phone on vibrate at night instead of having the phone turn on/off automatically with a set timer. Maybe some people might find it useful, but if it has DND (Do Not Disturb) option, I really don't think a feature of turning your phone on/off automatically is any useful. I only see it useful for those who always turn off their devices before they sleep or something, but just put it in silent and/or DND would be enough in my opinion.

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

1.) I would like the calculator and all the other associated apps as a standalone app. It's more convenient for me as that option. Also, the flashlight would be okay as a Toolkit option. 2.) When I am on a conference call I barely type the mute button while I am on the call itself. The only time I use it is when there is extra background noise I need to mute for a sec to find a better environment for the call. It would be cool if we can mute the call by clicking/tapping the volume key twice instead of tapping the screen. 3.) I like the normal way of turning the phone on and off with just the power button. But, don't get me wrong if there was a cooler way of turning off the phone that would be great. Like if you hold your finger to the finger scanner the phone can automatically turn on/off when you ready. Also, if there was a way to mute the phone without turning the phone all the way on would be great as well. Like giving you options to go through the different sound profiles with various taps on the finger scanner or the volume key.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• delle17delle17 North Carolina, United StatesPosts: 730 ✭✭

I am guessing from the post the Axon 7 is not ready for release for today.

"A Phone made entirely with you (me) in mind!"

Never Settle

#ZTE #AXON-7

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Stand alone app. I use the calculator a lot.

2. Almost never on conference calls these days.

3 No. I'd rather the decision to shut down be very intentional.

• reoreo North AmericaPosts: 167

1..............Stand alone. What is the increased storage  for?

2.............Retired, don't have any so shouldn't care. If absolutely required a case bump to activate/deactivate.

3.............Bought it to control it, not in favor of ceding any control.  (I thought the NSA utilized that already.)

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,618 mod

I would rather the calculator be hidden in a toolkit. I don't use it often, and don't want it seen until needed.

I don''t mute my line,so I have no real opinion on this.

I'd rather not use an app to control this function. If I want to shut it down, I want to manually do it, without an app.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,166 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Standalone.

2. Often.  4-5 times per 1 hour call.

3. Wouldn't use it because I never turn my phone off.  Mute it, yes.  Turn it off, never.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,072 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Yes I think there should be a shortcut in the app drawer for the calculator but also leave it in the toolkit.

2. I'm never on conference calls but always appreciate a way to quickly mute the call.

3. I do like the option to schedule a shutdown and start up of the phone. I use it to save battery power at night sometimes. Yet still have the phone turn on to act as my alarm.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1.) Would you rather have the calculator as a standalone utility app in the app drawer or built into a combined toolkit?

I like it combined but with the option to move it or shortcut it for quick access.

2.)When you're on a conference call, how often do you tap the mute icon on the call screen to mute your line?

About 2 to 5 times.  it would be nice to be able to use a side button for muting

3.)Would you use a feature/app that could switch your phone on/off automatically?

No not crazy about this feature

• davedave Ingolstadt, GermanyPosts: 84

1. I'd like to have the calculator as a stand alone app. These other features like a flashlight, compass and so on could be bundled, though. Nevertheless it's very handy to have the flashlight in the quick settings menu. This is the most useful place for something like that IMO.

2. I never take part in conference calls but I imagine this feature is useful. That said I think it's okay the way it is.

3. No. While I can see the reason for this option (not everybody wants to be available 24/7) it somehow misses the point for me. If you don't want to be interrupted by your phone you can still mute it. This is something else but having a restart button in the power menu should be taken for granted (I'm looking at you, Nexus devices!).

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. It can be part of a toolkit as long as every app in the toolkit has the capability to have a shortcut placed on the desktop or lock screen.

2. I almost never make calls anymore much less conference calls.

3. MANUAL ONLY. But i wouldn't be opposed to having an option of a different way to command it, such as an extra long press of the FPS, say like 10 seconds or something like that?

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,639 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1: Less used tools such as the compass and other lesser used tools can be placed in a tool kit along with the calculator, but outside of a tool kit, there should be a shortcut to directly launch the calculator, as that will be the most used tool there, thus most use cases will require additional steps if a user has to go through a tool kit.

Android is all about options which allow everyone to get what they want, thus catering to both crowds will be best.

When shopping, I use the calculator frequently, as I like having my first point of comparison to be the price per gram when it comes to food, thus I want as few steps as possible between me and the calculator.

2: I like having a mute button on the main view. Most smartphone dialers, have ample screen space to allow for a mute button. They are useful for when you need to quickly mute the mic for a short while.  (think of it like how radio stations have a "cough" button next to each microphone. The cough button would be useless if they had to go on a quest to find the elusive button to mute the mic when they need it on short notice. You will not use the button constantly, but when you need it, you want quick access to it.

3: I do not think I ever needed an app to automatically turn the device on or off, It is hard to predict exactly when I will need my phone on or off to set a schedule.

• kamkam Columbus, OHPosts: 26

1. Stand alone app or if it must be in a utility drawer, some sort of frequently used apps where the ones not used are hidden.

2. I do use the mute button and would like it to be visible in cases where outside noises arise.

3. I like the old fashion on/off button.  No app.  Not sure I would have a use for that.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,254 mod

1.  I would rather have the Calculator app as a standard app that is also included in the utility drawer. Either way its not that important to me as long as their is one included.

2.  When I'm on a conference call I have muted in the past ...I would say twice during a call on average. I like it implemented right from the  call screen.

3.  I have only used the power button. I honestly don't know how or why I would want another way. I have thought that the power button should be eliminated and that the fingerprint sensor should depress and act as the power button as well. Especially for the Axon 7 with the rear sensor it would be nice to have it double as a power button. Maybe add a dedicated camera button instead.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,821 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Stand alone utility app if I had to choose. Having a combined toolkit is nice, but if I can't add more utilities to it,
    or delete ones I don't want or need, then I'd rather just have those utilities as stand alone apps.

2. I don't use conference calling very often, but when I do it would be great to have the mute button right there for when I need it.
    Personally I would prefer the mute button to be right on the screen, so I can tap it quickly without pressing more buttons and pulldowns.

3. This is tricky because I don't know if I would use it personally. I have my phone near me at almost every moment just in case I
    would need it or receive an emergency call from a family member or whatever.
    At night I can just plug it in so no need to use the feature to save the battery.
    However I know some people who would and do use such a feature, and it would be a nice option to have if I ever do decide to use it.

• markgmmarkgm Plymouth, CTPosts: 25 ✭✭✭✭

Most likely the app drawer for the flashlight. Calculator and compass as apps that I can uninstall with support for being a widget.  

I mute all of the time, it's a handy button to have front and center. 

Would you prefer the option to mute the call be in the most recently used settings pull down menu (from the home screen) or is there another method that should be utilized (ie..fingerprint scanner)?

I like the mute button where it is now, on the main screen when making a call. 

I have never needed the feature to turn my phone on and off, but I know other brands include this, so if it's easy to do, it might be a feature other users want.  I keep mine on all the time, but in vibrate during the day and DND at night. 

• 1. Rather have a standalone app. Maybe hide all of them inside a single folder in the app drawer instead of a toolkit app?

2. Muting mic or anything else should really only be on the call screen. I don't really see why it would be needed anywhere else. The only exception I'd say is to have the end call button on the notification bar if you switch apps (and make sure that it asks you for a confirmation since it might've been an accidental press).

3. I don't really need it to auto shut down or start up, but it would be nice if the phone automatically turned on about 5 minutes before an alarm is set to ring if the phone happens to be turned off (similar to ColorOS and Cyanogenmod)

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 645 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

1. Standalone app. I like the idea of grouping the utility apps (ruler, level, compass) into one app, but I think the calculator app is both different enough and important enough to merit its own app.

2. It should be on screen for easy access. On the rare occasions when I need to mute a call (e.g., to tell one of my kids to leave me alone while I'm using the phone), I usually need to mute it in a hurry.

3. I don't think I would have much use for a feature like that. I just don't turn my phone off that often. Remote start up could be useful.

• benjamin.hobbsbenjamin.hobbs Independence, ORPosts: 76

1). A Swiss Army App? Here is an idea. The flashlight and compass should be in the notification area (just as you would disable or enable data/wi-fi/blueetoth etc.). When the compass is enabled, it would have the option of becoming a full screen compass - but when is not it should just display the direction the phone is facing up at the top of the phone along with the carrier name, the time, and the other notifications. The calculator, that should be a separate app.

2). I use the mute button all the time on conference calls, I would really like a unique mute feature. I'd like to be able to hear both open lines, but I would like to  mute my microphone so I can privately mention something to one of the specific lines without putting the other line on hold.

When calls are active, and the dialer is minimized, the important buttons should free float over other open apps and be able to be moved around the screen, or minimized to the notification tray.

3). I think there is to much liability to accept by having this feature. If for example you get a reverse 911 call, and your phone was in an automatic off state, you would not be made aware of the message. I don't think this is a wise feature.

• ddrakeddrake Alpharetta, GAPosts: 318 ✭✭✭

1.  I like those as separate apps, it is much easier to search for.  Although as long as flashlight and calculator can be used as a widget or from pull down menu, I'm good!

2.  I use mute SO much when on conference calls.  I sometimes work in a very loud environment and need to mute between me answering.  Depending on where I am working, I can use mute up to 10 times in a 30 minute call.  I think it should be on the phone call menu... when in a call, you can press speakerphone / mute, etc.  If there is no quick option of getting to that screen, then it will not be useful.

3.  I hardly turn my phone off so this feature wouldn't be very relevant for me.

That could be cool, imagine the background of the notification bar that is at the top of the screen anyway, had a partially transparent compass, similar to the style found in games.

BGyHjg3.jpg

• Wouldn't that be just a waste of battery? I rarely ever find myself needing to use the compass and the sensor would just be draining the battery for unnecessary reasons (unless cool purposes count )

Not really, it would be a function that you toggle on when needed, while also being able to perform other tasks, while also not giving up any screen space to do it.

While many people do not need a compass, there are some who need it, especially if they are constantly referencing various directions.

It could probably even be augmented with waypoints, or simply points of interest. if a GPS signal is available.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I use it here and again when I'm out Geocaching.

• thecoke091thecoke091 Tonawanda NYPosts: 7

1: toolkit would be very versatile, but whenever I use the calculator on any phone, I always find myself needing the advanced options (such as factorial, square root, log and natural log etc.) so a standalone app would be better for more advanced calculations and ease of use.

2: I don't use mute often on my phone, but it would be nice to have it be on the dropdown menu for recently used toggles, so it is easy to toggle when doing other actions on the phone during the call. Possibly a  specific button combo (like volume down and power simultaneously) could be nice for a quick toggle during a call.

3: Auto on/off would be very nice, especially since too many people never restart their phone when a restart could help with potential multitasking slow-downs, but I would want the feature/app to be accepting towards the ability to fully disable for users that do not wish to use the feature and any users that may want this feature completely bypassed for anyone that needs to modify any directories/files outside of the OS, before the OS boots, or any actions that require the device to be completely turned off (as if the battery is disconnected). This would also be very very nice for automatically re-optimizing apps so they run at peak performance. So in laymans terms, I'd love it if it can be fully disabled if a user chooses to do so.

• sgarrandsgarrand MA, USAPosts: 177 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. I'd rather have the calculator as a standalone app. I do use one frequently and keep a shortcut to it on my front page. Having it in a suite would create more steps to get into it.

2. I mute the mic on conference calls with regularity. I believe it's a common practice if you're not contributing to the conversation or it's more about others speaking. It's nice to have front and center with the screen on but if the phone were somehow locked and there was a "mute mic" up in the quick pulldown (aside the "hang up" option on the live notification for the phone call) I'd use it.

3. I would not use a feature that could switch my phone on/off. I leave my phone on 24/7/365 but silence it and put it into "Do not disturb" mode as needed. I'm not sure the average consumer ever really purposely turns their phone fully off, unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

• dabehrsdabehrs Dripping Springs, TexasPosts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Standalone is how I prefer. Also, users can add and build folders to group apps as they see fit in Android so to what end are you creating this?

2. I use mute frequently and prefer it be in the phone UI rather than in a notification drawer or elsewhere.

3. schedulers already exist but I prefer to maintain that control.

This discussion has been closed.