[Mobile Education] How to connect an external device (USB Flash Drive/OTG)

runtohell121runtohell121 AnalystUnited StatesPosts: 2,262 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Ever wanted to access some files from an external storage device such as USB flash drive on your Android device? Well, here is some simple steps to check or connect an external device to your Android device.

First, if you do not know if your device is OTG compatible or not, head over to the Google Play Store and download an app to check:

USB OTG Checker - Android Apps on Google Play

OTG? - Android Apps on Google Play

If your device is OTG compatible, then you can proceed and find an adapter or device that allows you to connect a USB device to your phone such as these sort of cables/adapters or flash drive that has a built in port for Android phones:

Cable/adapter

Micro USB to OTG USB adapter

USB-C to OTG USB adapter

Flash drive that might be compatible with your phone and no need to carry the adapter

Connecting a device to your phone is easy once you have the accessory you need.

1. Connect the USB OTG Cable (or flash drive if you have the ones that are made for phones also) to your phone's USB port.

2. Connect the external device of your choice into the OTG Cable.

That's pretty much it. On most phones, there should be a File Manager installed already and you can find it most likely in your App Drawer and access your storage device from there to view your documents, videos, music, etc.

When you're done using the external device, be sure to properly remove it by swiping down the notification and tapping on the USB mass storage from the notifications or go to Settings -> Storage -> Unmount the external storage device.

Here are the Amazon links for products in the pictures I've used to show examples of what you might have needed:

Amazon.com: Ugreen Micro USB 2.0 OTG Cable On The Go Adapter Male Micro USB to Female USB for Samusung S6 Edge S4 S3 And…

Amazon.com: Anker USB-C to USB 3.1 Adapter, Converts USB-C Female into USB-A Female, Uses USB OTG Technology, Compatible…

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Type-C-Smartphones-Tablets-SDDDC-032G-G46/dp/B00V62XBY8

Comments

• rikkkurdrikkkurd United statesPosts: 318 ✭✭

Great summary I will order the sandisk usb c stick, to transfer my data from the phone next time.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,257 mod

Great job!  I'm sure many who never knew how to do this will benefit.  I like the ability of easily transferring files from my phone and to a PC easily especially when away from home or using another computer.